Battery seems too weak for my 1000-5.

O

old-school

Jan 7, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Even though my battery is new, it seems weak when starting my 1000-5. Are some batteries better than others?
I added a boat battery box under the driver's seat and put in the biggest car starting battery that would fit. I believe it is a 750 cca sealed battery. Anchored the box to the frame and filled the sides with closed cell spray foam to seal out water, mud, dirt, etc.
Be sure to use a proper size wire ga. for the length of cable needed.
I did this in 2018 and no problems yet winter plowing snow or summer. I use it yr. around.
Old School

KTM3040

KTM3040

Sep 6, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I added a boat battery box under the driver's seat and put in the biggest car starting battery that would fit. I believe it is a 750 cca sealed battery. Anchored the box to the frame and filled the sides with closed cell spray foam to seal out water, mud, dirt, etc.
Be sure to use a proper size wire ga. for the length of cable needed.
I did this in 2018 and no problems yet winter plowing snow or summer. I use it yr. around.
Old School
Great idea...thank you!

R

Regulator

Feb 24, 2016
SW Georgia
Original Battery lasted 5 yrs. Ordered same battery off internet it lasted 5 months before it would buzz the solenoid. I went to Honda dealer there original batterys were backordered. They were AGM Yussa battery's. They had the cheaper battery's you had to put the acid in. I bought one and the Pioneer never cranked as fast as it did. Charged both battery's before using. The jury is still out,but as of now no more AGM battery's for me.

J

Justhere

Apr 28, 2021
Durham, NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did similar as car battery installer. However I parralled a small car battery with existing battery. Still undecided about where to permanently mount. I have a pioneer 700-4 and no bigger battery will fit.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They all crank slow when cold
I agree. Mine has always seemed weak since I got it but it has always started. Keep a maintainer on it in winter months and it still cranks slow but always starts.

Reactions: KTM3040
R

rickoshea

mine lasted a little over 2 years with only the winch as an acc.not going with the stock one again.

Reactions: Rayger143

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!