William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a warning to everyone. I put a bellow on the Rear end just to try it and within a couple miles it blew out the seal on the passenger side rear differential. I will not be using them anymore.

Reactions: JTW and lee
R

Rustell

What's a bellows William?
My thought exactly ...
Thank you Google... A Bellow replaces the vent tube on your diff.

Reactions: trigger
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's it. They don't work...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yep, I ran them for 700 miles trouble free. And then one 95° Alabama day running 60 MPH for a about 5 miles, I smelled oil. It blew out the pinion seal. Bellows on the front diff was good as well was the sub trans.

I think the seal on the rear differential blew out because the rear differential gets hot because it's 1 inch away from the muffler.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, I ran them for 700 miles trouble free. And then one 95° Alabama day running 60 MPH for a about 5 miles, I smelled oil. It blew out the pinion seal. Bellows on the front diff was good as well was the sub trans.

I think the seal on the rear differential blew out because the rear differential gets hot because it's 1 inch away from the muffler.

Yeah, rear diff gets hot on the P5 as well. Found that out on Saturday, stopped for a spell and noticed leaves and crap in that area, reached in to remove them and yikes, that area was cooking pretty good.

Reactions: joeymt33
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I know arctic cat and I think Suzuki uses these from the factory. I wonder if they have any trouble? I always thought they were a good idea but I never tried to replace one of my vents with one. glad I didn't!

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up the new seal today and decided by the way the seal is made I don't see how it hurt the seal by blowing oil through it... it is a quality seal and better designed than my previous Honda rear ends. I'm just gonna keep watch on that axle and see if anymore oil comes out. My rear end has always sucked in water even with snorkeled vent line. I change Gear oil after every ride... takes about a minute... I'm just gonna keep doing that till I get bearing roar or oil starts to leak out... then buy a whole new complete differential.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I picked up the new seal today and decided by the way the seal is made I don't see how it hurt the seal by blowing oil through it... it is a quality seal and better designed than my previous Honda rear ends. I'm just gonna keep watch on that axle and see if anymore oil comes out. My rear end has always sucked in water even with snorkeled vent line. I change Gear oil after every ride... takes about a minute... I'm just gonna keep doing that till I get bearing roar or oil starts to leak out... then buy a whole new complete differential.

Wow, changing the gear lube after every ride? Better safe than sorry I guess but that sucks William!

Reactions: rocmar
advertisement
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I pickif d up the new seal today and decided by the way the seal is made I don't see how it hurt the seal by blowing oil through it... it is a quality seal and better designed than my previous Honda rear ends. I'm just gonna keep watch on that axle and see if anymore oil comes out. My rear end has always sucked in water even with snorkeled vent line. I change Gear oil after every ride... takes about a minute... I'm just gonna keep doing that till I get bearing roar or oil starts to leak out... then buy a whole new complete differential.
I have no experience with this particular seal but if it didnt roll the lip it will probably be okay.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, changing the gear lube after every ride? Better safe than sorry I guess but that sucks William!
Not bad literally takes 1 minute. No jack. One socket and a wrench. Has water in oil every time... the front diff doesn't leak.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I replaced the seal that was leaking. It is air tight now. It was very simple.

Reactions: trigger
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to hear William. At least now you can probably change differential oil faster than a Nascar pit crew. :)
Yep I am fast... we rode today and got no water in the differential. I did tear a boot on the brake caliper slide pin though. Gonna fix that when the part comes in.

Reactions: Jshell3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!