BOX1

Talon Best GPS for off Road?

R

red124

Sep 7, 2018
MN
The Polaris Ride Command app works with both android and apple and it is free. Any android tablet or I-pad with gps should work no cell service needed. It has roads and trails on it also can track and store your track. Should have most major trail systems in it and also tells you parking locations. I had a few garmins in the past and the screen was so small and no color I decided to switch. Way cheaper to buy a tablet and use the free Polaris ride command app in my opinion. Down load the app on you phone and try its free might as well check it out before you go spend money on something.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes. I don't how the technology works, I just know it works very well here in WV and other riding places in the East. Lifetime Trailmaps has great customer support, so check out their website or send them an email if you would like to know more about it. Here is a picture of my setup in my RZR before I sold it.View attachment 120602
I did some checking, there are Samsungs that have GPS like Garmin. Again, where I ride in Michigan, Lifetime Maps does not cover the trails like VVmapping. Unfortunately, VVmapping is not compatible with the Android platform.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Again, where I ride in Michigan, Lifetime Maps does not cover the trails like VVmapping.
Talonpalooza, please don't misunderstand me. My chiming in on this post was just in response to the OP asking which GPS was best for off road. I didn't intend to sound like I was putting down your setup or attempting to contradict your research. Reading back through the thread, I can see how it could be taken that way. I used a Garmin Montana for a long time, and it served me well. If I were in your situation, I would use the Montana happily and not feel like I was lacking. It's a tried and true piece of equipment and may very well be the best option for the OP. It's simply for me, here in WV, the tablet has been a nice upgrade. No worries and happy trails!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I used a Montana with VV Mapping for 3 yrs and loved it. Had the MI and TN packages loaded into it, like 13 states. The problem for me was the small screen, as I'd have to stop and put on cheaters to really see anything. I called Jeremy, which he is VVM and lives about 15 mins north of me, and asked what I could get with a bigger screen and still keep his maps? He told me a bigger Garmin or the Lowrance. He is working on the software to be tablet compatible and hoped to have it done by June, I'm impatient though and went with the Lifetime maps on an Active Tab 2 which has built in gps. True it doesn't have the MI trails near as thorough as the VVM but you can trace and record any trail you take and you always have the crumb tracker.
Honestly, that is about the extent of my knowledge on the whole subject. :D

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Talonpalooza, please don't misunderstand me. My chiming in on this post was just in response to the OP asking which GPS was best for off road. I didn't intend to sound like I was putting down your setup or attempting to contradict your research. Reading back through the thread, I can see how it could be taken that way. I used a Garmin Montana for a long time, and it served me well. If I were in your situation, I would use the Montana happily and not feel like I was lacking. It's a tried and true piece of equipment and may very well be the best option for the OP. It's simply for me, here in WV, the tablet has been a nice upgrade. No worries and happy trails!
I didn't take it that way and I didn't think you meant anything derogatory. Given a choice, most (including me) would like a bigger screen and better resolution. Unfortunately, for where I ride, we have one good source for trail mapping and that is VVmapping. I like the setup you or someone else posted with the Samsung... just wish that trail mapping would work for me. Happy trails to you as well...

R

Red1000r

May 1, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes. I don't how the technology works, I just know it works very well here in WV and other riding places in the East. Lifetime Trailmaps has great customer support, so check out their website or send them an email if you would like to know more about it. Here is a picture of my setup in my RZR before I sold it.View attachment 120602
You wouldnt happen to have a link to that Ram mount would you?

J

JTW

I did some checking, there are Samsungs that have GPS like Garmin. Again, where I ride in Michigan, Lifetime Maps does not cover the trails like VVmapping. Unfortunately, VVmapping is not compatible with the Android platform.
Pretty sure you can convert those vv mapping Garmin files to work on the Samsung tablet with ourux

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

And I’ve really liked the lifetime trail maps on my 8” Samsung Tab A... it works well. I don’t want to screw with figuring out the maps myself so it’s well worth it to me. I did the premium update service for $49 a year the day we were leaving for Takeover and it worked. It also showed trails some of the other guys tablets without the latest updates didn’t.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
You wouldnt happen to have a link to that Ram mount would you?

I also got the mount from Lifetime Trailmaps. The claw attaching it to the grab bar is a RAM claw, but the mount itself around the tablet is fabbed by Lifetime. It's nice and tight. I even use it on the handlebars on my Honda Rincon and it works great. Here's a link:

Tablet Mounting System

Reactions: sharp
rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
Magellan Off-Road Navigation | Off-Road GPS Navigation Devices & Accessories | Magellan GPS
Magellan tr7. Not cheap but it’s good.
Fully waterproof even the dock for charging, easy release, 3D mapping, easy to load newly made trails, pre loaded with a ton of actual trails. It’s the only one that’s already had most of Idaho trails. Saved our ass big time in a 15yo overgrown trail we were on.

I am up in the air on whether to get a Magellan TRX7 or a Samsung device and run BCN and OrusMaps.

Have you or anyone else on the site transferred GPX files to and from the Magellan TRX7 using ExpertGPS instead of using TRX Trailhead? Magellan support says the USB ports on the devices are inactive and you must use TRX Trailhead to transfer files. ExpertGPS support says they have several users using their software to transfer GPX files.

I use ExpertGPS to edit and modify my trails and would much rather transfer between PC and device instead of going through an internet site.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
No doubt the Montana series, just make sure it has the "T" behind it but also get the onX map chip for the perfect setup.

Reactions: Plumber32
H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
Im not sure if i already asked this, its an age thing. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good GPS unit. I have hundreds of miles of roads and trails here in Montana and I easily get lost, hmmm that could be another age thing lol.
Garmin 276CX. Super bright screen, high resolution and waterproof.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am up in the air on whether to get a Magellan TRX7 or a Samsung device and run BCN and OrusMaps.

Have you or anyone else on the site transferred GPX files to and from the Magellan TRX7 using ExpertGPS instead of using TRX Trailhead? Magellan support says the USB ports on the devices are inactive and you must use TRX Trailhead to transfer files. ExpertGPS support says they have several users using their software to transfer GPX files.

I use ExpertGPS to edit and modify my trails and would much rather transfer between PC and device instead of going through an internet site.
I have not tried

H

Hondroid

Apr 2, 2016
Canada
IMG 20190511 082713286 HDR
Im not sure if i already asked this, its an age thing. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good GPS unit. I have hundreds of miles of roads and trails here in Montana and I easily get lost, hmmm that could be another age thing lol.
Garmin 276CX.

DanDan

DanDan

Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, tejas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a refurbished 8" Galaxy tab e wifi only and just put the free polaris ride command app on it. Just download the maps for offline use for the area you will be riding in and should be good to go. Just make sure your location is turned on and you can also use the google maps that comes factory with it. No need for anything fancy the tablets are cheap especially a refurbished one so not a big loss of it get damaged. They make plenty of cases and mounts if you are having trouble seeing the screen in the sun try a mat finish screen protector.
I recently downloaded the Polaris Ride Command on my Android smart phone. On my next RnR, I plan on checking it out at Pine Mountain in Southeast OK. I understand I can pair up with our son in his RzR and keep track of each other.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have an iPad mini 2. I use MAPLETS and download free maps to it. So far it has worked very well. I have other map apps I use as well.
The mini and mini 2 do not need a plan to use the gps. Later models do.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
When it comes to a GPS for off road use in a dusty environment, I stay away from any type of a touch screen unit.
Units like the Garmin 276CX have all push button control, so you do not have to worry about cleaning the screen and mess up picture ect.

I have the Older version 276C and love it. I bought the 276CX when it they first came out several years ago, but sold it.
If you wanted to scroll ahead to view routes ect. It took several seconds for it to upload the maps.
I do not know if they have fixed that yet. But I would upgrade to the new 276CX if they have because it also as a larger screen now.

Maybe Hondroid will update us on this.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
View attachment 119407

32 gig Galaxy Tab A in a Otterbox Defender with all the extra holes hotglued shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. I used this at Mack’s Pines during July 4th. I really like the position and the ability to reference the maps and monitor my rear view mirror while riding.

Reactions: JTW
Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Just an update. I used this at Mack’s Pines during July 4th. I really like the position and the ability to reference the maps and monitor my rear view mirror while riding.

Same setup I use galaxy tab 3 running ORUX in a waterproof case .

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!