BOX1

Talon Best GPS for off Road?

D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
K9paco,
What maps did you use for Mack's Pines? I have the same setup with a Samsung 10.1 tablet and mostly use Avenza.
Thanks
Dwight

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
K9paco,
What maps did you use for Mack's Pines? I have the same setup with a Samsung 10.1 tablet and mostly use Avenza.
Thanks
Dwight

On that trip I used the Avenza app as well. The soon to be former owner of Mack’s Pines told me the exact map to download. I’ll get the map this afternoon when I get home and tell you which one. It’s best to do it before you get there because the cell reception is spotty and their WiFi is slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hoghead76
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I picked up a Galaxy tab S4 on sale to use for GPS. Downloaded Orux and the Polaris app. Hopefully get to try
On that trip I used the Avenza app as well. The soon to be former owner of Mack’s Pines told me the exact map to download. I’ll get the map this afternoon when I get home and tell you which one. It’s best to do it before you get there because the cell reception is spotty and their WiFi is slow.

I'd be interested in that map as well!

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
In the Avenza Maps app look up

- Motor Vehicle Use Map,MVUM,Big Piney District,Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
(Whole map of the area with lots of trails)

And

- Moccasin Gap Recreation Area
(Copy of the paper map that the forestry service puts out of Moccasin Gap)

Some of Moccasin Gap is covered by the label and the second map will help you track where you are.

Reactions: BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the Avenza Maps app look up

- Motor Vehicle Use Map,MVUM,Big Piney District,Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
(Whole map of the area with lots of trails)

And

- Moccasin Gap Recreation Area
(Copy of the paper map that the forestry service puts out of Moccasin Gap)

Some of Moccasin Gap is covered by the label and the second map will help you track where you are.

Strange ...... when I copy those maps and put into search ..... nothing comes up?

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Strange ...... when I copy those maps and put into search ..... nothing comes up?

The previous owner told me how to filter it but I lost the paper. I’m going to ask them on FB to post the instructions and I’ll copy them here.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Just messaged them. Hopefully it will be on their page by tomorrow.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Just messaged them. Hopefully it will be on their page by tomorrow.

Ok. They responded and won’t have that information until sometime Friday. Hope that works for you guys.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I found the Moccasin Gap trail map by going to the map function and finding the pin that is across hwy 7 from MPs. I’ll have to do more research on the other map.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Do it this way

- Go to the store
- select “Find maps”
- Type in “ Motor Vehicle Use Map, MVUM, Big Piney District” and search
- select the map and download by taping the free button.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do it this way

- Go to the store
- select “Find maps”
- Type in “ Motor Vehicle Use Map, MVUM, Big Piney District” and search
- select the map and download by taping the free button.

A cluster of red comes up in WY instead of Ark.

D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
I think it's easier to just Google it. I put big piney ranger district mvum arkansas
in Google and scroll down and you will find the Avenza page. I've had lots better luck searching with Google than Avenza.
Dwight

Reactions: BigOL3 and K9Paco
gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Have any of y'all tried using an offroad GPS for agriculture mapping? Like acreage measurement of a field or spraying herbicide? We've got commercial ag GPS equipment in the big tractors but I would like a multi-purpose unit for my Pioneer. It would be great if one of these offroad GPS units also had some mapping capabilities. I know they probably won't do an overlay for spraying like a commercial ag GPS. However, those AG gps are good for nothing but spraying/spreading fertilizer and chemicals. You can't upload topo maps or even chart trails really.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have any of y'all tried using an offroad GPS for agriculture mapping? Like acreage measurement of a field or spraying herbicide? We've got commercial ag GPS equipment in the big tractors but I would like a multi-purpose unit for my Pioneer. It would be great if one of these offroad GPS units also had some mapping capabilities. I know they probably won't do an overlay for spraying like a commercial ag GPS. However, those AG gps are good for nothing but spraying/spreading fertilizer and chemicals. You can't upload topo maps or even chart trails really.
OruxMaps on an Android Tablet would be your best option. still about 20-30' accuracy at times but close enough for S.W.A.G.

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just ordered lifetime trails tablet, but for anyone that would rather go with Garmin 610t cabals has on sale for $379.99. That's $120 less than Amazon

Reactions: JTW
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!