Best shock upgrade for trail and ranch work

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just Spent a week using my P1k5 for some ranch work. I was working with a mule pro fxt and a can am defender. Bottom line, Pioneer ride is AWFUL at all speeds. I didn’t realize it until I rode the other machines. I would buy the mule pro, but the seats suck. It rides awesome. Pioneer is by far the most capable off trail, but is a buckboard and a rattle trap. Noisiest and hottest as well.
what shock package will work best for slower speed stuff, rocky terrain, no high speed driving? Or do I sell it and buy something else?

Reactions: J80 and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh thats also a loaded question with all the different shock types out there and all the opinions. Get ready to get confused lol

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Fox is better and more durable than 814? 814 gets some rave reviews and don’t seem to have to maintenance like fox
Are you asking me?
If you like the 814, looks like u did research then why even post your initial question? Im just telling you my hard 4k miles experience. If u like the 814’s like you said, get them. No sweat off my balls lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m with Remmy. Especially as you say ranch/trail. You’ll be adjusting for days trying to find setup for both and adjusting every time with most. Fox are easy.
depending on exactly how much trail time you’re talking, for ranch work I’d still say the auto adjusting stock is the best however the Fox will do a good hauling.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fox is better and more durable than 814? 814 gets some rave reviews and don’t seem to have to maintenance like fox
814 are just a generic mono tube shock modified to fit the Honda, no way are they in the same class as Fox, how many patents on internals does 814 have vs Fox?

Go look at all the major utv modification companies and see what they use for racing, Fox, Elka or Walker Evans. can a company like Shock Therapy work on or will they even consider working on an 814 shock? All shocks require rebuilding, nothing lasts forever.

Also I bet 1 814 set is sold to every 100 Fox sets, you just don’t see everyone post up about Fox. Also don’t forget to buy your limiting straps for the 814 or you’ll ruin them, Fox doesn’t need these.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s why I asked. I have no experience either way. Fox is by far the best value from what I can tell. I just don’t want something which Needs a regular rebuild. I rarely get over 20 mph, but terrain is steep, rocky and rutted.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s why I asked. I have no experience either way. Fox is by far the best value from what I can tell. I just don’t want something which Needs a regular rebuild. I rarely get over 20 mph, but terrain is steep, rocky and rutted.
I think Fox hold up fine, mine have been through a couple totaled out Pioneers lol. 5 years still going.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it won’t need a regular rebuild but like anything sometimes people get a bad unit, that goes for everything.

advertisement
J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I was to change the shocks, should I consider changing the a arms as well, or does that not affect travel?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I was to change the shocks, should I consider changing the a arms as well, or does that not affect travel?
Can’t answer that as I changed mine out with 1 mile on mine. Checkout my build and you’ll see I dumped a ton of stock stuff immediately, can’t even compare much to stock but all I know is mine rides amazing.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What rims are you running?

The factory deluxe 14” rims ride like hot trash with the base model shocks.

When I’m spraying pastures I put on my 12” steel factory tires which have a by far better ride.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!