Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you "load" your winch cable when spooling it on.
Tie off to an anchor point on an incline and winch the cable in under load.
The synthetic rope lays almost flat under loading, which allows you to wind in 60 or more feet.
20240904 145712

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you "load" your winch cable when spooling it on.
Tie off to an anchor point on an incline and winch the cable in under load.
The synthetic rope lays almost flat under loading, which allows you to wind in 60 or more feet.
View attachment 443408
Very good advice. I always wrap about 6 wraps on the spool and pull in the first 30ft hooked to my truck and dragging the brakes. You want to stretch the rope for a good wind on the drum

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know how you're going to spool your line under load and get it distributed evenly.

I do mine by hand where I can run it left and right to get a nice wrap.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't know how you're going to spool your line under load and get it distributed evenly.

I agree -

I'm a realist and getting a winch line as straight and tight as it was when delivered by the factory ain't gonna happen. You can yell and scream and tell me I'm doin' it wrong but I'm a junkyard dog and understand that my winch line is never going to be as nice as original again. Anytime we use our winch, the chances are 99.9999% that the pull is going to be to one side or other on the fairlead, it's going to stack however the hell it wants.

The loads are so high when winching, that the line is going to pull down through the other layers, like it or not. Unless you're willing to hang your buggy from a tree every time you rewind, it's going to 'pull ugly'. To think otherwise is an exercise in futility.

Don't hate me, Bro - :cool:

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

The idea is to limit the heat created by the winds rubbing against each other as the rope takes on tension around the drum on your first real pull after the initial winding.

On both my HF winches on my Talon and P1k5 I run some cheap 3/8” line off Amazon largely because they were both steel cable setups previously.

When I replace the line I get a few winds on the drum and tie off the buggy to a tree or something else on a steep hill and pull the buggy up the hill in neutral. I find that the cable will lay nicely nearly on its own by simply nudging the line or using the steering wheel to move the buggy side to side.

No it doesn’t fully load the line, but it’s quite a bit better than nothing.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

Use the winch remote and let the weight of the buggy do most of the work. You should still be able to move it side to side.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use the winch remote and let the weight of the buggy do most of the work. You should still be able to move it side to side.
Yeah, I was thinking about that later. If you had a good leather glove or something, you could probably still manipulate the line left and right under a simple load.

But honestly, I'm not going to worry about it. I find a lot of hand-wringing and gospel over winching, and I don't think it's all that complicated. I have the $25 synthetic line, I beat the s*** out of it, never have washed or maintain it over 3.5 seasons, and just yesterday I pulled out of two deep peanut-butter mud holes. It amazes me that this line still holds up. I have a brand new one in the box in the bed, if I blow one out, who cares for $25. I got plenty of life out of it.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was just looking back to see what line I did buy. It was just over 4 years ago and I paid about $24 for it. Bought two of them and the other one is still brand new. Apparently it's not available anymore.

Reactions: Coeus and TripleB