P500 Best tire for thick loose sand

W

WGA1

May 15, 2021
Houston
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a used 2016 P500 for the purpose of pulling a jon boat down to a river. The sandbar along the river is very loose sand. Before I get to the sandbar though I do have to travel along a trail for a couple of hundred yards that can also be mud with a couple of deep mud holes. So I guess I'm looking for a tire that will perform well in both sand and mud, especially the sand. If I get stuck in the mud I can always hook up to a tree and winch myself out. If I get stuck in the sand it will be a problem.

I have looked through several different posts but I'm not sold on a tire yet. Currently I have the stock tires. I think I will go back with 25" or 26" 11x12 on back and 9x12 on front. Had planned on getting one of the Mudlite series tires but I have seen several posts stating they do poorly in loose sand. I'm strictly in sand and mud, no rocks and no fast or long distance driving. The need for a diff lock remains to be seen. Any opinions are appreciated.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Without going to paddle tires I'd suggest Big Horn 2.0's. They're light and with the rounded profile have great flotation in sand and snow, especially the wides. 6 ply construction and being a radial you'll get a better ride. Solid all around tire with an aggressive enough tread to get you through the mud.

W

WGA1

May 15, 2021
Houston
Ownership

1. 500
Without going to paddle tires I'd suggest Big Horn 2.0's. They're light and with the rounded profile have great flotation in sand and snow, especially the wides. 6 ply construction and being a radial you'll get a better ride. Solid all around tire with an aggressive enough tread to get you through the mud.
I have seen those mentioned favorably many times.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
May have to go to aftermarket rims so you can take advantage of 11's or 12's for the front also to help it 'float'.

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
these should do it!
OIP

W

WGA1

May 15, 2021
Houston
Ownership

1. 500
Tried to P500 for the first time in the sand today. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled the sand with the stock tires. I don't know if the extra weight helps or that it is just geared much lower but compared to my Polaris Sportsman the P500 handles the loose sand much better.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!