P1000 Bias or Radial

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking at about a 29" tire. I would love 30" motoclaws but I hear they don't fit. At the moment I don't wanna lift kit so my options are limited. My question is what's the difference in a bias and radial tire? I see the dirt commanders come in 29" but are bias. Thanks.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
ATV/UTV Bias tire construction

Bias ply tires have ply cords that run from bead to bead at a 45 degree angle (or bias) to the center line of the tire. These plies are applied in a multi layer criss-cross pattern and alternate in direction. Ply thickness is even from sidewall to shoulder to tread.

ATV/UTV Radial Tire Construction

Radial-ply tires have ply cords applied at a 90-degree angle to the center line of the tire. Multiple ply layers are applied over top of each other. Tread belts are then layered over the plies in the tread section.

Here are some general pros and cons for each.

Bias Ply Tire Pros
· Strong sidewalls for better sidewall puncture resistance
· Easy to repair
· Lower cost
· Good off camber stability because of stiffer sidewall
· High impact resistance
· Great for frequent high loads and towing

Bias Ply Tire cons
· Smaller tread footprint
· Tire flex is spread out over a large area increasing heat buildup at high speeds.
· Greater rolling resistance means less fuel mileage.
· Shorter tire life.

Radial Pros
· Radial tires tend to improve the handling and performance of your machine at high and low speeds because the tire conforms to the terrain better through increased sidewall flex.
· Radial tires typically last longer than Bias ply tires because of the low heat buildup and construction design.
· Lower rolling resistance equates to better fuel mileage.
· Smoother more comfortable ride.
· Larger contact patch

Radial Cons

· Higher cost
· Low ply rated radials are more prone to sidewall puncturing
· Less resistant to high speed impacts

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
If you liked the Bighorn 2.0s take a look at the Original Bighorns. They come in a 29 inch tire.

Reactions: swsebek
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great explanation!

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But we do know that 30"s with stock wheels and no lift will rub right?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You want a radial hands down on the 1000.Difference between the 2 is radial bite and grip better cause the plys do not run from one bead side to the other.The tread ply is separate from the sidewall.Bias plys run side to side...So if you flex the side wall the tread stretches and you will loose traction and feel loose on the trail........If you are not riding fast you may never notice it...The only benefit to bias that I have seen is when you buy a bias 8 ply tire you will know that it is 8ply all over.As to when you buy a 8 ply radial your not sure if the sidewall is the same as the tread.Hope this helps.......JMO

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I think it depends on the width of the tire you want to run. If they made the Motoclaws in a skinny wide option I think they would fit no problem. And it also depends on what tire you decide on. Some run small, large, or not as wide as they claim.

Edit - they make the Motoclaws in a skinny wide, but not in a 30 inch tire. They make a 29 inch Motoclaw, it's bias and has a 16" wheel.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Listen too TOT he Hit the nail on the head.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since we are on the subject of tires. What's y'all opinion on 9" or 10" fronts

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I am going to run 30" x 10" x 14" all the way around, but I also just installed a Strong Made 2" lift kit. Tires will be Roctane XD 8 ply radials, and they are tougher than woodpecker lips.

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
advertisement
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mud throwers.com said bighorns run large on sizes below 27 and small as you go up as they say a 30 only comes to 28 3/4 but I'm not sure that wasn't measured off a different rim width or what

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I plan on running 30x10r14 all the way around. That way if needed they can be rotated and if I ever decide to get a spare I will have the same size on any corner.

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
9 inch wide is too narrow. Your wheels get beat up in ruts and on soft ground you don't get any flotation.10 inch wide on a tall tire like 30 -34 is probably the way to go.I do have 11 inch by 27 on my ride now and they are fine too I just think on larger size might cause some problems mechanically.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I talking about on a 28" tire what would be better on the front 9" or 10" on the 1000 that is

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!