BIG RED Code 64

C

cad1992

Jan 20, 2014
I have a 2009 Honda MUV700 Big Red will not start ans check engine light flash six times the 4 time faster I think it is a code 64 can anybody tell me what that code is? thanks for the help

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Cad1992.
I have a service manual. I may look at it for you later today.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
cad1992 said:
I have a 2009 Honda MUV700 Big Red will not start ans check engine light flash six times the 4 time faster I think it is a code 64 can anybody tell me what that code is? thanks for the help
Book says the following for code 64
- Drive power circuit high voltage (more then 8.0 V when ignition switch is "OFF
- Main relay stuck "ON" or circuit malfunction

Symptom/fail save function
- Engine will not start

Refer to chapter 6-29
here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5anv16njum08r ... 204-7b.pdf

K

kr1995pacer

Feb 11, 2014
The Honda MUV700 we have has the MIL blinking once & then 5 immediate blinks. Can you help me out as to what this means? Thanks in advance!

H

HondaTech

I've seen his code on a Pioneer 700 a couple times.

Does the MIL stay on with the key on?
Can you erase the code?
Does it come back after erasing immediately when cycling the key?

Check the main relay isnt stuck
Check for blown ignition fuse

Reactions: hook and lee
H

HondaTech

The Honda MUV700 we have has the MIL blinking once & then 5 immediate blinks. Can you help me out as to what this means? Thanks in advance!

Code 15 is drivetrain code not F.i related.
Shift solenoid A
Could be shorted or open circuit, check wiring under the shield mounted to the valve body. Shift Solenoid A is the one closer to the outboard side of the unit.

Could be a broken wire, dirty/loose connector or bad solenoid.

Reactions: lee
J

Jbro160

Apr 5, 2020
Ranger Ga.
Ownership

1. Big Red
I've seen his code on a Pioneer 700 a couple times.

Does the MIL stay on with the key on?
Can you erase the code?
Does it come back after erasing immediately when cycling the key?

Check the main relay isnt stuck
Check for blown ignition fuse
Flashes code with key off wont start until disconnecting battery and reconnecting

H

HondaTech

Flashes code with key off wont start until disconnecting battery and reconnecting

Code 64-2 then
Most likely the main relay is stuck on
Under the hood in the battery box is a small black box closest to the starter solenoid. The main relay is the one towards the front.

J

Jbro160

Apr 5, 2020
Ranger Ga.
Ownership

1. Big Red
Code 64-2 then
Most likely the main relay is stuck on
Under the hood in the battery box is a small black box closest to the starter solenoid. The main relay is the one towards the front.
Changed relay and new battery it starts but I think the starter is going out sometimes sounds likenits dragging

H

HondaTech

What would cause the relay to keep sticking?

I think it has to do with the fact Honda uses the same wire to trigger the relay that is being powered through the relay. Maybe it's some sort of weird short internally or its because it powers constantly as long as the unit is keyed on.

The starters in these are known to go out, Honda has updated them. The magnets usually come apart inside.

J

Jbro160

Apr 5, 2020
Ranger Ga.
Ownership

1. Big Red
I think it has to do with the fact Honda uses the same wire to trigger the relay that is being powered through the relay. Maybe it's some sort of weird short internally or its because it powers constantly as long as the unit is keyed on.

The starters in these are known to go out, Honda has updated them. The magnets usually come apart inside.
Thanks I think I will be changing the starter next

H

HondaTech

Thanks I think I will be changing the starter next

Make sure the starter you get is the updated one, with the post on top, not on the end. I dont believe the original that fell apart is avaliable anymore, so that shouldnt be an issue anyway.

R

rcook7950

Jan 7, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Big Red
I'm having an issue with my 2013 big red it died and wouldn't start back didn't blow any fuses but the fuel pump is not turning on the engine light blinks once long then 2 short could y'all help me please