BRed Big Red Dumping Oil, Help!

W

WYBR

Mar 9, 2019
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hey there! So I just bought a 2012 Big Red about a month ago, from a guy who had recently rebuilt the motor. I've ran it here and there on weekends and it seemed to run good until today. I was pushing snow and the tranny started to slip, and I caught a whiff of hot smell, so I shut it down. Checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. I thought that was odd as I had checked the oil when I bought the rig and it was full. Went to town and grabbed some oil, put about a quart in and fired it back up. I immediately noticed oil coming out of the front of the motor so I quickly shut it back off. Pushed it into the garage with my truck and tore the seat and engine cover off. Turns out what I believe is the transmission valve body solenoid was just hanging loose, with the bolts backed out several turns. So, my questions:

-There doesn't appear to be a gasket or RTV or anything on the mounting surfaces. If this component sees oil pressure shouldn't it be sealed somehow?
-What are the torque specs for the solenoid?
-What other surprises should I check for before I start her back up?

Muchos gracias in advance for any help I can get... hoping I didn't burn anything up while it was getting low on oil. Engine never changed sound or anything so I'm hoping at least that is ok. Tranny, not so sure...

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure on the gasket. A parts fiche should help identify what should be there though.

D

Deleted member 3748

Is it part #12? if, so, there's a gasket.

Upload 2019 3 9 18 39 20

W

WYBR

Mar 9, 2019
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Big Red
No problem, I appreciate the help! I'll see if I can look up a generic torque spec for that bolt thread and mating material. Thanks

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have a big red manual floating around the forum somewhere.
Look in the big red section.

W

WYBR

Mar 9, 2019
Wyoming
Ownership

1. Big Red
After about an hour of scrolling I did find the part in the manual where it covers re-assembly of the valve body, and it just says "tighten the bolts" for the solenoid. Thanks, service manual. I then looked up torque specs for an M6 bolt and it was less than any torque wrench I have can really measure anyways. So I snugged them up and called it good. She's running and driving fine now, but I'll be watching oil level like a hawk now. Still seems to be burning some when cold as well.

Also, sweet mother of Jesus, that oil filter is in about the most convenient place possible... I already had the thing half disassembled and it was still hard to reach.

Reactions: Mudwing