BRed Big red eating oil

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hi Theresa again help I’m burning a quart in 40 miles. Any ideas. No smoke no leaks. Help. 2009 big red 700 I’m thinking rings but with no smoke what’s going on. Valve stem seals ? Help

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi DG.........one quart in approx 40 miles..not a drop on the ground...coolant is clean. not overheating or running wierd...cant see any smoke even on a hard acceleration...will check airbox when back at the house asap.. thank you.. rings..? valve stem seals etc ??? Theresa ps might be putting new jugs on the Bonanza in my picture .down to 20 % on one cyl.... damn turbos!!!
I brought this over so everyone could see what has been checked.

A quart every 40 miles should be smoking like a freight train, yet we've had several people indicate pretty much the same thing you're saying: no smoke with huge oil consumption. Almost makes me wonder if oil companies are putting stuff in to prevent smoke...?

There are ways to determine what the cause is from when it smokes...but that is obviously dependent on actual smoke. Best way to determine the health of the rings is a leakdown test. I hate to say it, but unless you can find a leak somewhere, it may be time to hit a dealer and let people with the proper tools (in theory anyway) make the call.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Theresa again help I’m burning a quart in 40 miles. Any ideas. No smoke no leaks. Help. 2009 big red 700 I’m thinking rings but with no smoke what’s going on. Valve stem seals ? Help
I would say you have a bad camshaft. My rincon(same engine) wouldn’t smoke but used oil. Top speed was affected too. My first cam went a 3,000 miles.

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
I would say you have a bad camshaft. My rincon(same engine) wouldn’t smoke but used oil. Top speed was affected too. My first cam went a 3,000 miles.
Hi please tell me what was wrong with the cam. Bad lobes. ? Bad seal? Adjusted the valves and had full lift thanks

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
I brought this over so everyone could see what has been checked.

A quart every 40 miles should be smoking like a freight train, yet we've had several people indicate pretty much the same thing you're saying: no smoke with huge oil consumption. Almost makes me wonder if oil companies are putting stuff in to prevent smoke...?

There are ways to determine what the cause is from when it smokes...but that is obviously dependent on actual smoke. Best way to determine the health of the rings is a leakdown test. I hate to say it, but unless you can find a leak somewhere, it may be time to hit a dealer and let people with the proper tools (in theory anyway) make the call.
Hi. Thanks gonna leak it down like we do lycoming aircraft engines. Next week. Thanks again DG

Reactions: DG Rider
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hi please tell me what was wrong with the cam. Bad lobes. ? Bad seal? Adjusted the valves and had full lift thanks
The cam was worn down. It happened to me 3 times. Every 3,000 miles. Honda did give me one free cam and they replaced the oil pump but blamed it on not letting it warm up. One service manager said there were bad cams out there (Honda would never admit that) in 2007 and 2008 but that doesn’t explain two more bad cams. I put new rings in it at 10,000 miles.

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
The cam was worn down. It happened to me 3 times. Every 3,000 miles. Honda did give me one free cam and they replaced the oil pump but blamed it on not letting it warm up. One service manager said there were bad cams out there (Honda would never admit that) in 2007 and 2008 but that doesn’t explain two more bad cams.
HI Thanks for that.....my big red has lots of power...no indication of worn lobes ...as i said the lift looked good when I turned it over for the adjustment..it runs up to the rev limiter in seconds..topping out at about 42...bad cams hmmm ...ive used reground cams ..with 100 % success..on other engines VW Porsche etc...maybe bad parkerizing...just saying, thank you very much for the input...you guys are great.... dealer or American Honda didnt help at all ...saying they have no problems except stator issues....Theresa

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi. Thanks gonna leak it down like we do lycoming aircraft engines. Next week. Thanks again DG
That's great that you have the tools and know how to use them. Probably gives you a leg up on the local dealer:D

The one sore sport with this engine is that one occasionally eats a cam. Goes all the way back to it's Rincon debut, and is still happening in 700 pioneers. It's too much to call it "common", but it does happen. Maybe the worst thing is that there seems to be no definitive answer as to why. Low power is the sign, so sounds like you're ok.

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
That's great that you have the tools and know how to use them. Probably gives you a leg up on the local dealer:D

The one sore sport with this engine is that one occasionally eats a cam. Goes all the way back to it's Rincon debut, and is still happening in 700 pioneers. It's too much to call it "common", but it does happen. Maybe the worst thing is that there seems to be no definitive answer as to why. Low power is the sign, so sounds like you're ok.
Hi. DG. Thanks. Can’t believe I’m having trouble with one cylinder. Imagine that good thing I’m not dealing with a v12 jag engine!!!‍♀️

Reactions: Mudwing
onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hi DG had to buy another leak down tester ..mines in baja ..headed to work on big red this weekend If I can stand 112 degress in my little garage ..cant believe how cheap they sell one on amazon ...my snap on cost me$300 ..I paid $30 bucks and it looks like it might actually work ...anyway just saying hi T

Reactions: DG Rider
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
1 other thing if you havent checked your airbox. my dads was doing this same thing a while back ended up being pvc line going into airbox. soaking air filter so it was burning it but because it was going through the filter and basically atomized instead of being dumped by a valve. no smoke.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
1 other thing if you havent checked your airbox. my dads was doing this same thing a while back ended up being pvc line going into airbox. soaking air filter so it was burning it but because it was going through the filter and basically atomized instead of being dumped by a valve. no smoke.

Alan ..thank you !will do tomorrow..headed to big red in the am ...was the hose pluged ?...broken ?..or is there a actual valve like a car?? .Thanks again Theresa

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Alan ..thank you !will do tomorrow..headed to big red in the am ...was the hose pluged ?...broken ?..or is there a actual valve like a car?? .Thanks again Theresa

OK just got what your saying....so basically im spewing oil out the breather and its reburning it?..so i possibly have worn oil rings..T

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hi ok so im thinking worn oil rings ..spewing blowby into air filter?...hence no smoke?....T

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
not exactly oil rings. i cant remember if its an actual valve like a car or not. my dad fixed his and told me what it was doing
he is snorkeled so he does have a higher vaccuum on his airbox than stock bikes. ill see if i can find the part online but it was stuck wide open so basically just pulling oil straight to the air filter

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Cool im headed there now 4 hour drive if you find out the part please post it so when im there ill look at it thanks again D. D. T

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i cant find it in the diagrams online just follow the hose coming out your breather if your filter covered in oil. if its not then just wipe this from your list. lol.

onesparkplug

onesparkplug

Feb 25, 2019
yuma
Ownership

1. Big Red
i cant find it in the diagrams online just follow the hose coming out your breather if your filter covered in oil. if its not then just wipe this from your list. lol.

Hi Alan ...........been gone working in Ca.......will get back to the big red ..this week, when I was there last time i did find the hose ..its is dry along with the airfilter...so scratch that right?....Thanks DD T

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi Alan ...........been gone working in Ca.......will get back to the big red ..this week, when I was there last time i did find the hose ..its is dry along with the airfilter...so scratch that right?....Thanks DD T
yep just scratch that idea

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!