BOX1

Big red runs terrible

W

wetdirt

Jun 22, 2014
My dads big red will idle fine and runs good up to about half throttle. Anything higher than that it misses.

He cleaned the air filter, drained the gas, changed spark plug, and adjusted the valves. No change. I'm not sure if it is starving for fuel or possibly an ignition issue. Anyone ever heard of this happening. I think it has about 600 hours on it. 2010 model. Thanks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sounds like a weak spark, maybe a bad plug wire or coil?

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like it not getting enough fuel to operate at above mid throttle. First thing I would check for is there a fuel filter?

Reactions: 70Bones
W

wetdirt

Jun 22, 2014
The fuel filter is a sock in the tank. it was clean. I talked to a local Honda shop today. They said there is an updated stator for the older big reds. He said the crank shaft sensor is built in to the stator and their has been some problems with the older stator assemblies. So I guess we will check that out next.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, Did you find out what was causing this laying down at half throttle?
You might consider starting a new thread with your symptoms. These guys are likely long gone, and you get a lot of these types of threads where no solution was ever given.

If you've checked out all the stuff listed in the 2 threads you posted on, keep in mind that this engine is known to eat camshafts on occasion. The symptoms of the OP here sound suspiciously like that was the problem.

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
You might consider starting a new thread with your symptoms. These guys are likely long gone, and you get a lot of these types of threads where no solution was ever given.

If you've checked out all the stuff listed in the 2 threads you posted on, keep in mind that this engine is known to eat camshafts on occasion. The symptoms of the OP here sound suspiciously like that was the problem.

DG Rider, so what is the fix for the engine eating camshafts? Sounds like mine is gone with less than 500 hours, yes 500. What was causing it, and will a new camshaft only last 500? Our machine gets driven daily but less than a mile and easy conditions.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
DG Rider - For our rig it was the camshaft. 434 hours total time on engine. New cam, holder etc. and it runs MUCH better. When I told the service writer the machine woudn't shift into second gear until backing off on throttle slightly, he immediately indicated it was probable the cam. And it was. Camshafts seem to be an issue with these engines.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
DG Rider, so what is the fix for the engine eating camshafts? Sounds like mine is gone with less than 500 hours, yes 500. What was causing it, and will a new camshaft only last 500? Our machine gets driven daily but less than a mile and easy conditions.
DG Rider - For our rig it was the camshaft. 434 hours total time on engine. New cam, holder etc. and it runs MUCH better. When I told the service writer the machine woudn't shift into second gear until backing off on throttle slightly, he immediately indicated it was probable the cam. And it was. Camshafts seem to be an issue with these engines.
Sorry @Hondarider, I didn't see that question last year. I never had an issue with mine.
The answer as to why? There seems to be no definitive answer, and that's the part that's frustrating.