BOX1

BRed Big Red spins over once and stops. What do you think?

F

fence178

Feb 4, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. Big Red
2010 MU700 spins over once and stops. I was told either starter sprag or decompression issues.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

They're known for bad starters. Honda redesigned them to a more durable design.

F

fence178

Feb 4, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. Big Red
Pull the spark plugs and see what it does.
My brother said he turned the key yesterday and it fired right up. Turned it off and it would only turn over once and stop. Not sure if starter is bad or if it’s decompression problem.

F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
I am currently at the end of this same problem. I can get it to start one-in-a-hundred tries, but 99% of the time it spins once and stops. Without the plug, the starter can turn it over and blow fuel through the hole. It will only go up to about 60psi and gets stuck. Solid spark (new plug and wire). Starter bench-tested ok (but that's no load). Solenoid tested good. Good voltage to the starter so wire and ground tested good. To get enough oomph to start the engine, I had to jumper the starter straight to my big truck battery and give it a solid 14V to spin it fast enough. Even a brand new UTV battery didn't have enough oomph to do it. With everything else ruled out, I have a new starter on the way. Will gladly report back if that solves the issue for me.

*In my scenario, this was immediately after an engine rebuild so I KNOW the internals are good*

Reactions: CID
F

fence178

Feb 4, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thanks for the helpful information. Let me know what you find out. Did you replace cam shaft on your engine rebuild? I hear the cam shaft has issues.

F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
Sorry for the delay, fence. I got stuck in the Texas blizzard last week. I put my new starter in yesterday and the machine fired right up, so in my case that was 100% the issue. When I took the old one out, I couldn't spin the pinion by hand at all, so I'm pretty sure it dropped a magnet. The new starter I got was from Amazon and was $80