Big Red Transmission problem

N

nmwolfer

Aug 12, 2014
I have a 2012 Big Red. I bought this new 2 years ago and ever since it was new, it would run rough when cold. Lately it has been getting worse. What is happening, is it almost is like a truck transmission that is slipping. When I first start out in it, it will rev up very high and will hardly move. This morning I looked out the window and a half a dozen cows had gotten into one of our hay stacks. So I went out and started the big red up, went about 50 yards and that was it, it would not go any farther, it just reved up and would not move, there also seemed to be an excessive amount of white smoke. I waited a little bit and it finally started moving, so I drove it back to the shop. Once it gets warmed up it runs good. I checked the manual and there is not one word in there in ref to the transmission.
We have a remote ranch here in the Gila Mountains and I am 3 hours from the closest Honda dealership. I was wondering if any you fellas or gals might know what this issue is?
Thanks,
Gary
Send me a PM if you can help.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am assuming you've changed the oil and checked its level since you bought it and that it was not so low as to have no oil pressure to feed the engine or trans.

So I am skipping that and going to a SWAG question. Did you ever use oil treatments or non motorcycle oil in it? If you put a oil with or added a Slick50 type additive to the oil which increases (forgive me I forget the engineering term for "slickness") it makes the wet clutch SLIP big time. Maybe you were heating the clutch up until it burned off the additive????

Complete S.W.A.G. Not a motorcycle mechanic.

N

nmwolfer

Aug 12, 2014
I take it to a little shop in town that works on ATV's and have the oil changed once a year. I took it in July 1st and had the oil and oil filter changed. I have less than 100 miles on it since the oil change and possibly less than 50. That being said, I just went out and checked the oil after I read your message and there was a little oil on the end of the stick, so it is very low. So what I am thinking is that when he changed the oil, he did not put enough back in. It is not leaking oil, as I park it in the shop and there is not one drop of oil on the shop floor where I park it.
So I guess that is what it is, not enough oil in it.
Thanks,
Gary

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That stinks that someone you trusted for service did that.

Hope that oil is the fix.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Gary. I removed your email as I don't want spam bots harvesting it.

As for your problem. I definitely hope that is the issue as well. Be sure to let us know.

N

nmwolfer

Aug 12, 2014
OK, thanks.
I do not think the fella that changed the oil and filter would do that intentionally. If it was the case that not enough oil was put in, which I feel at this time it had to be, it would not of been intentional, we all make mistakes and goof up once in a while and I am quite sure that this is what this is.
Thanks,
Gary

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
nmwolfer said:
there also seemed to be an excessive amount of white smoke.
Does it do this often? Of so... That is where your oil went.

N

nmwolfer

Aug 12, 2014
No, it does not. It would not move, I hit the gas and it would not move. I waited a couple minutes and then it moved and I drove it back to the shop and no more smoke. That is the only time, I seen any smoke and I think that was because I was just sitting there hitting the gas a lot too hard.
Thanks,
Gary

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!