BOX1

BRed Big Red low power and misfire

J

JMichael

Sep 6, 2021
MS
Ownership

1. Big Red
2012 Big Red light adult use. Starts easily and idles smoothly; 1rst gear low speed operation isnormal, but begins to lose power and misfire under moderate acceleration. Same misfire in neutral under moderate throttle. MIL comes on but no DTC blink codes, fuel supply is clean with good pressure, but old plug showed carbon buildup like it is running too rich. Oil level good, muffler and spark arrestor not clogged and have replaced plug, coil, EFI, IAC, and air filter. I have read several posts about excessive camshaft wear but Honda dealer says no such recalls or bulletins for this VIN, plus there is a 6 week backlog for their shop to diagnose. Can CKP, MAP, or TP sensors cause this? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2012 Big Red light adult use. Starts easily and idles smoothly; 1rst gear low speed operation isnormal, but begins to lose power and misfire under moderate acceleration. Same misfire in neutral under moderate throttle. Fuel supply is clean with good pressure, but old plug showed carbon buildup like it is running too rich. Oil level good, muffler and spark arrestor not clogged and have replaced plug, coil, EFI, IAC, and air filter. I have read several posts about excessive camshaft wear but Honda dealer says no such recalls or bulletins for this VIN, plus there is a 6 week backlog for their shop to diagnose. Can MAP or TP sensors cause this? Also, does anyone know whether the crank position sensor is integral with the stator assembly? Suggestions?
Have you checked compression and valve clearance?

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

This sounds like yet another cam failure. I sure wish Honda would at least say why this happens.

Yes, the ckp is integral to the stator assembly.
Honestly i dont believe they have a clue why. This has been a thing for over 15 years now, since the Rincon came about. It widely spans miles, machine condition, use and other factors. So its hard to pin down.

We've got a P700 in the shop now with 3200 miles thats beat to hell and the intake lobe is almost round.

J

JMichael

Sep 6, 2021
MS
Ownership

1. Big Red
Honestly i dont believe they have a clue why. This has been a thing for over 15 years now, since the Rincon came about. It widely spans miles, machine condition, use and other factors. So its hard to pin down.

We've got a P700 in the shop now with 3200 miles thats beat to hell and the intake lobe is almost round.
Much obliged to everyone for the timely and helpful responses! No, I have not checked compression or valve clearance (and I have not noticed any loud valve train noise), but from everything I have read, the excessively worn camshaft sounds like the most likely culprit. Although I am not surprised that Honda would be reluctant to "admit" such a defect ($$$), it is still very interesting to me that my large local dealer seems clueless about such a long standing problem. So....... it is into the engine we go. Any suggestions regarding the best source for reliable camshaft parts would be appreciated.

R

reddvlz

Jan 4, 2023
WI USA
Ownership

1. Big Red
New to forum...just bought a 2009 MUV. Starter went out and my local dealer noticed a lot of "glitter" in the oil. He suspects I might have a camshaft going out. I'm told its fairly common and typically affects units that idle a lot. The culprit (according to the dealer) is the camshaft sits in an oil sump which can be oil starved, especially at idle. Eventually the oil gets hot and sludges causing cam failure. The fix is to drill holes in the sump to allow for better oil flow. They even have had a template made up to facilitate this. Parts are not too bad, but you may be looking at 10+ hours of shop time to make the repair and alteration

FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
New to forum...just bought a 2009 MUV. Starter went out and my local dealer noticed a lot of "glitter" in the oil. He suspects I might have a camshaft going out. I'm told its fairly common and typically affects units that idle a lot. The culprit (according to the dealer) is the camshaft sits in an oil sump which can be oil starved, especially at idle. Eventually the oil gets hot and sludges causing cam failure. The fix is to drill holes in the sump to allow for better oil flow. They even have had a template made up to facilitate this. Parts are not too bad, but you may be looking at 10+ hours of shop time to make the repair and alteration
the original poster has not been on here for over a year

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

10 hours, holy s*** ive been doing camshaft replacements for cheap then.

I would never drill holes in the "sump" that would let the camshaft run dry in my opinion. Of all the failures I've seen, none of them had sludgy oil in the "sump".

H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
Ditto on the bad camshaft. Been through this. Shops didn't admit this and act like it is the first time they have ever seen the symptoms. Was told by another shop after cam replaced that when checking oil run it first to warm, then shut off for no more than a minute and check oil. Said it is ok to run a bit over full and make sure it is appropriate oil for the ambient temps. Thin oil winter use and if lots of engine starting and stopping.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!