Big Red vs Pioneer 700

M

MGMAN45

Apr 3, 2015
Hello all, have had a big red since 2009 and its been a complete piece of junk. Cam shaft replaced for 3,000 dollars out of my pocket and its doing the same thing again. Want something else and was wondering if the Pioneer is the same maintenance NIGHTMARE, oil and filter changes ect.Also is the engine the same? Oil filter location? If it is that would be a deal breaker for me.Want something reliable and easy to work on.BR oil and filter change should be maybe 20 mins. tops but we know that is not the case.Thank You for any advise on this matter. James.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
The oil filter is now accessible on the top under the seat and their is a drain out the bottom of the skid plate. Oil changes are very easy and quick. I know how you feel I own a pioneer and we have a big red at my work and I take care of the maintenance on it. A major PITA.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
if you paid 3000 for a camshaft you need a new mechanic. 300 in parts 4 hours labor.

Reactions: SkyPup
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have no experience with Big Red but as far as the pioneer goes, probably 15 minutes give or take to change the oil and no major issues to report in the 1300 miles I've put on it.

S

Southarkrob

Jul 6, 2015
I have both.. a 2010 Big Red that we hunt out of and use on the farm and a 2015 Pioneer 700-4.. I have had zero problems out of our Big Red.. take that back..a tranny sensor and it was replaced under warranty. Oil changes do suck... but for the quality of the unit it is not a deal breaker. If I told you some of the stuff we have pulled with our Big Red around the farm you wouldn't believe it. We are not easy on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!