Bought a press

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I'm the local mechanic for a few guys and I've gotten tired of pressing in wheel bearings with other tools other than a press. So I bought a 20 ton Ironton hydraulic press at Northern Tool. Once I get it put together I need to press in new wheel bearings on my Teryx. I'll post my results. I'm thinking 20 tons is enough pressure. But if anyone has experience with these kinds of presses and what is needed, please post.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had a HF 20 Ton for many years. 20 Tons is plenty for general, auto and light truck mechanical work. I have yet to encounter anything it would not press (as long as it fit into the press). Pressing a bearing into an aluminum housing on your Teryx is going to be child's play.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pressing a bearing into an aluminum housing on your Teryx is going to be child's play.
Let me offer a word of advise. Make sure that anything you are pressing back together is exactly lined up before you apply any substantial pressure, especially steel parts into aluminum housings (like a bearing in an aluminum hub). A lot of those types of parts are not symmetrical and can create optical illusions making the parts look aligned when they are not.

When pressing, the parts should press together fairly easy at first and tension should increase as the parts go together. If there is a lot of resistance right off the bat, the parts may not be properly lined up and you can (will) destroy the housing.

Worrom1

Worrom1

Aug 9, 2020
Fallon nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I’ve used mine for bearings and such,I just recently used it to change springs on my shocks

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, 20 tons should be more than enough to break stuff efficiently. Impact sockets make handy press adapters for matching various diameters. Cast steel press plates can fracture under heavy load, keep clear & inspect often if that's what came with.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yep 20 tons will work great. I been using a 20 for years to do ATV, SxS, etc without any issues. I have a 30 ton Ironworker setting in the shop but never bother switching it over to press anything because the 20 does it without any issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!