P1000 Bought My First SXS and It's a Honda !

BenM

BenM

Dec 5, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone!

As the title states I just bought a new 2020 Honda 1P3 Base Model. Picked it up yesterday. I am coming from a 2001 Honda Rancher 350ES that has been bulletproof for working on the property. We now have more property to take care of so it was time to upgrade to a SXS with more capabilities. I don't plan on running on the trails (maybe in the future will give that a try) mostly work oriented but do like that this things is dual purpose and not just a utility vehicle.

Wanted to say to hi everyone and hope to learn lots from you guys in the world of UTVs. I am a die hard snowmobiler and can relate to the dirt track / rock climb sport being outdoors and seeing nature and all while shredding pow, dirt, mud or rocks :).

Took the 1P3 for the maiden ride on the back forty and I definitely can see why folks windshields and roofs on these things. Went through some tall grass and wooded section and all that nature came in through the missing windshield, haha. My wife was covered in pollen, grass seeds, leaves and branches haha, good times.

Hours of reading through threads are in my future so better get cracking.

Added Pics to verify it happened. Took pics in front of the dealer I bought it from "Vern Eide Motorplex, SD" . Was a 5 hour drive one way but saved $2K from buying it from local dealer. Could have saved $3k if I wanted to drive down to TN (Abernathy in Union City, TN). I am from Minneapolis, MN area so it would have been a hell of a drive to do it in one day.

View attachment 208791 View attachment 208792
Welcome for Southeast Texas...

I have not done any rock climbing( Yet ) but would absolutely recommend the UHMW Full Skid Plate by Factory UTV - Honda Pioneer 1000 from Sidebysidestuff.com These plates actually help my machine slide on top of the mud and ruts I've been through. I also got the Ricochet Off-Road A-Arm Guards |Set of 4| just to keep the sticks out. No problems yet, just make sure you wash all the dirt out between the top of the plates and your rig.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey everyone, great to see so many members being active and welcoming on this great forum. Compared to the snowmobile forums I normally troll this Honda SXS forum is so refreshing, friendly and helpful. OK got another one for you guys. I know I want a glass windshield just not sure exactly which one. I know the Honda OEM ($629.96) is nice and expensive with no vents and sealing is sometimes an issue? UTV801 is a nice windshield with vents but not sure which poly/steel roof will fit and it's a bit spendy $589 compared to other aftermarket glass. I like the Kolpin glass windshield ($464.32) with vents but there again not sure if it seals up good and only the Kolpin steel roof is compatible with the glass. Lastly, the Tusk glass windshield ($542.99) is not vented even though they market it as such? Again no idea on fitment and how well it seals and what roof will work with it. I have scoured the forum on windshields and most like the SATV flip hard coat poly but it will not work for MN in the winter for plowing. So for those of you that plow in the winter and leave it on in the summer which glass do you have and do you like it and why? I am up in the air on the roof as it needs to seal to the windshield. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
My two cents worth: I had the Honda OEM and sold it because of lack of venting. And I didn't want to start cutting into a $600 + windshield to vent it. Bought the 801UTV one. The venting is great, but it doesn't come even close to sealing at the top. I'm over in WI about 45 min NE of the twin cities, so same climate as you. I stuffed a piece of foam pipe insulation in to cover/fill the gap, but still have a lot of cold air coming in through the gap in the winter. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept the OEM one and added venting. Fit and finish is spot in with it. In addition the OEM is built very heavy duty compared to the 801. Haven't looked lately at other aftermarket ones that you mentioned though so...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A

ArcticSledder

Jun 17, 2020
Loretto, Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi BrophyCreek, thanks for your feedback neighbor. I was really close on pulling the trigger on the OEM glass but then last minute decided to go with the Kolpin glass with vents (granted not as good as the 801 vents but there is a mod). Reason I went with the Kolpin is one, cheaper, two the company is here in Plymouth MN and three the glass is bigger for better visibility out. I plan also to get the Kolpin steel roof or the Honda soft top with rear panels and see how that works together. It won't be warm in the winter plowing but I will wear my snowmobile gear for that. We'll see once it shows up how the unit is built and seals, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Biteme
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi BrophyCreek, thanks for your feedback neighbor. I was really close on pulling the trigger on the OEM glass but then last minute decided to go with the Kolpin glass with vents (granted not as good as the 801 vents but there is a mod). Reason I went with the Kolpin is one, cheaper, two the company is here in Plymouth MN and three the glass is bigger for better visibility out. I plan also to get the Kolpin steel roof or the Honda soft top with rear panels and see how that works together. It won't be warm in the winter plowing but I will wear my snowmobile gear for that. We'll see once it shows up how the unit is built and seals, fingers crossed.
Hopefully the kolpin windshield is designed for their roof and they mate up well. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wi
l'll give SATV flip out windshield a 1 of five stars, the fit is terrible at the bottom , my Kolpin hard coat shortie does a lot better at wind deflection than the SATV wind shield full open and I don't have to worry about ripping it off in the woods and don't have to stop and clean it, only reason I bought it was last year in CO it rained or hailed almost every day for a hour or two, other wise I wouldn't have bought it, the Kolpin shortie is fixin to go back on! SATV needs to go back to the drawing board on there flip out windshields! If you ride in the woods! My opinion!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wi

l'll give SATV flip out windshield a 1 of five stars, the fit is terrible at the bottom , my Kolpin hard coat shortie does a lot better at wind deflection than the SATV wind shield full open and I don't have to worry about ripping it off in the woods and don't have to stop and clean it, only reason I bought it was last year in CO it rained or hailed almost every day for a hour or two, other wise I wouldn't have bought it, the Kolpin shortie is fixin to go back on! SATV needs to go back to the drawing board on there flip out windshields! If you ride in the woods! My opinion!
I'm still offering you a $100 for that POS.

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme and Mudwing

73datsun

Apr 13, 2019
minneapolis
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in Minneapolis (well, Excelsior), too. Surprised you had to drive that far to get a deal! Davis Motorsports, in Delano, gave me a heck of a deal on our 2018 1P3 EPS last spring. I want to say it was $2,500 off of MSRP and they gave me the LED headlights at cost (also did a roof and winch). Regardless, glad you got a good deal.

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Welcome to the club from WV!

A

ArcticSledder

Jun 17, 2020
Loretto, Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in Minneapolis (well, Excelsior), too. Surprised you had to drive that far to get a deal! Davis Motorsports, in Delano, gave me a heck of a deal on our 2018 1P3 EPS last spring. I want to say it was $2,500 off of MSRP and they gave me the LED headlights at cost (also did a roof and winch). Regardless, glad you got a good deal.

I went to Davis Motorsports first and they were not willing to deal due to the shortage Honda was going through du to COVID-19 with plant not building and everyone wanting power toys this summer. Got quoted $16.5K OTD for a base model. Would have liked to give the local guy the business BUT not willing to pay $2500 over what other are charging.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!