DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Im having an issue with what I think is box elder bettles/bugs. My yard has been teeming with these for several weeks now, but they mostly stayed outside. Now they are trying to get in.

What smokes these things...or repelles them? I got some Ortho barrier stuff, but it doesn't keep them out. Does kill them...after they get in.

Luckily, they have only really gotten into the AZ/sun room thus far, but I want to put a stop to them.

Tried peppermint. Doesn't seem to stop them. Lavender does seem to work somewhat, but I suspect it will wear off quickly.

The dawn and water trick does kill them pretty quickly, but they seem to have many places to hide. Still, I have a garden hose mix sprayer coming, and I'm gonna nuke the whole yard with dawn/water when it gets here. Probably have to do a few to get them all.

If that fails, any ideas?

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Im having an issue with what I think is box elder bettles/bugs. My yard has been teeming with these for several weeks now, but they mostly stayed outside. Now they are trying to get in.

What smokes these things...or repelles them? I got some Ortho barrier stuff, but it doesn't keep them out. Does kill them...after they get in.

Luckily, they have only really gotten into the AZ/sun room thus far, but I want to put a stop to them.

Tried peppermint. Doesn't seem to stop them. Lavender does seem to work somewhat, but I suspect it will wear off quickly.

The dawn and water trick does kill them pretty quickly, but they seem to have many places to hide. Still, I have a garden hose mix sprayer coming, and I'm gonna nuke the whole yard with dawn/water when it gets here. Probably have to do a few to get them all.

If that fails, any ideas?
You can call DO MY OWN PEST CONTROL and they will let you know how to get rid of them. I believe they are in Georgia. I buy commercial spider spray from them because here I would need an exterminator's license to buy it. 1-866-581-7378 M-F 9-5 EST.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What smokes these things
Cutting down the tree and burning it!
Its a weed tree like a Cottonwood and they grow faster than any tree on the planet. Total junk tree. Only good for a fire pit.

I had these fucers at my old house. Tried every spray under the sun. Even hired 2 exterminators. There commercial spray helps as a barrier but not for very long. The last guy told me the cold hard truth, cut the box elder tree down and burn it! Have a few fire pit parties in my back yard. Technically thats the only way to get rid of them. Sprays are a mask for them. You think u ridded them only to put your dick in the dirt later when they come back! They breed from the tree trunk. Nasty fucers!
So I did just that and like magic they were no longer. Took a little bit to finally get rid of the scrabblers that where left but no more! ☠️☠️☠️

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Cutting down the tree and burning it!
Its a weed tree like a Cottonwood and they grow faster than any tree on the planet. Total junk tree. Only good for a fire pit.

I had these fucers at my old house. Tried every spray under the sun. Even hired 2 exterminators. There commercial spray helps as a barrier but not for very long. The last guy told me the cold hard truth, cut the box elder tree down and burn it! Have a few fire pit parties in my back yard. Technically thats the only way to get rid of them. Sprays are a mask for them. You think u ridded them only to put your dick in the dirt later when they come back! They breed from the tree trunk. Nasty fucers!
So I did just that and like magic they were no longer. Took a little bit to finally get rid of the scrabblers that where left but no more! ☠️☠️☠️
That's the thing...I don't have a box elder. Don't think anyone does nearby.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh there is! Thats the only way they get created. They travel well. Kind of like Adam And Eve. Dosnt happen with Adam and Steve
Could be a variant of some sort. We have Palo Verde, but those hellish things can't be related to anything...

Reactions: Remington
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can u get a pic. Maybe they aren’t BE’s
20240609 131238

Bought a garden hose sprayer and nuked the whole yard with Dawn/water. Millions laying here dead right now. Actually having a hard time finding a live one at the moment, so that's seems to have been pretty effective. Probably have to do it again...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's weird...don't know if I've ever seen any of these. And certainly nowhere near this level if I have, but they are bad this year.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
View attachment 432254

Bought a garden hose sprayer and nuked the whole yard with Dawn/water. Millions laying here dead right now. Actually having a hard time finding a live one at the moment, so that's seems to have been pretty effective. Probably have to do it again...
Those look close to Box Elder but not quite same color but Box Elders that I see all the time dont have the spots unless its a variant

advertisement
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
look like Scantius aegyptius-Mediterranean Red Bug

Reactions: Remington
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's what the AI feature on my phone came up with.
Yep. Invasive species. Explains why I've never seen them before. Soapy water does kill them. In fact...sound like just spraying them with water does pretty well. I've just let them get too comfy around my house. Spent large parts of the weekend just hosing down the yard with dawn and water. Really knocked them down, but I'm sure there are more being birthed as we speak.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep. Invasive species. Explains why I've never seen them before. Soapy water does kill them. In fact...sound like just spraying them with water does pretty well. I've just let them get too comfy around my house. Spent large parts of the weekend just hosing down the yard with dawn and water. Really knocked them down, but I'm sure there are more being birthed as we speak.
Sounds like what you are doing is working. maybe just keep after them till you get rid of them all.🤞