P500 Brake problems

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Two thoughts; 1) check the brake fluid reservoir, as the brakes wear the fluid level goes down. 2) Air bubble in the lines, this would require bleeding the brakes and may include the fitting at the master cylinder. Have you ever opened the brake lines?

S

Smuel

Oct 22, 2020
Bartlett Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Keebler , the machine has been doing this since new, I have not touched it other than checking the fluid level. It is a 2020 with 130 miles on. I thought it would stop doing it because after the pedal goes to the floor the next time it has full pedal ???? Crazy !!!

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Keebler , the machine has been doing this since new, I have not touched it other than checking the fluid level. It is a 2020 with 130 miles on. I thought it would stop doing it because after the pedal goes to the floor the next time it has full pedal ???? Crazy !!!
That's dangerous, you probably have air in one or more brake lines. Go to the Honda shop and get some DOT 4 brake fluid (small bottle for dic brakes) and a small flexible tube that will fit the bleeder fitting on the caliper. Then check the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder, fill to the max level. Then get someone to pump the brakes, put the flexible hose on the bleeder fitting, loosen the bleeder fitting a couple turns, have your pumper pump the brake pedal and you watch for air, tighten the bleeder fitting and repeat on all the rest of the brake calipers, may take a couple of times. You can catch the flushed brake fluid in a clean container and just keep putting it back into the brake master cylinder for the rest of the purge. The bleeder fitting will be a fitting on the caliper with a rubber cap on it with no brake lines connected, you don't take it out! Just loosen it up couple turns. Whoops I didn't ask you if you knew how to bleed brakes.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Evertime I get on a steep hill my brake pedal goes to the floor, no brakes. But 1 pump and back to normal. Has anyone had this problem and what would cause this to happen ? Kind of scary sometimes !!!!

Been doing this since new but you haven't taken it back to the dealer for a warranty repair?

The scenario you describe is either air in the brake system, a leak of fluid (but you didn't say you've had to add fluid so unlikely) or a defective master cylinder.

Reactions: PJ1
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
If it has been happening since new and you have that few hours I would contact Honda, it could be a bad master cylinder. The machine is new enough that Honda will handle it if it is still within warranty and might still handle if it is not under warranty as a good will repair. One more thought, if the brake is not spongy all the time it is probably not air, I am now leaning toward a master cylinder problem.

Reactions: PJ1
H

HondaTech

Any front A-arm guards installed?

They've been known to be too large and slide down and wedge against the calipers.

Reactions: lee, PJ1 and 906UP
S

Smuel

Oct 22, 2020
Bartlett Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
That's dangerous, you probably have air in one or more brake lines. Go to the Honda shop and get some DOT 4 brake fluid (small bottle for dic brakes) and a small flexible tube that will fit the bleeder fitting on the caliper. Then check the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder, fill to the max level. Then get someone to pump the brakes, put the flexible hose on the bleeder fitting, loosen the bleeder fitting a couple turns, have your pumper pump the brake pedal and you watch for air, tighten the bleeder fitting and repeat on all the rest of the brake calipers, may take a couple of times. You can catch the flushed brake fluid in a clean container and just keep putting it back into the brake master cylinder for the rest of the purge. The bleeder fitting will be a fitting on the caliper with a rubber cap on it with no brake lines connected, you don't take it out! Just loosen it up couple turns. Whoops I didn't ask you if you knew how to bleed brakes.
I do know how just been a long time ago. I will give it a try asap. The only thing that has me concerned is it only happens when I have been on steap inclines , when I got home from deer camp just backing off the trailer caused it to loose the pedal ...... I plan to bleed the brakes and hope for the best. Thanks brother.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Smuel

Oct 22, 2020
Bartlett Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I do know how just been a long time ago. I will give it a try asap. The only thing that has me concerned is it only happens when I have been on steap inclines , when I got home from deer camp just backing off the trailer caused it to loose the pedal ...... I plan to bleed the brakes and hope for the best. Thanks brother.

S

Smuel

Oct 22, 2020
Bartlett Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
If it has been happening since new and you have that few hours I would contact Honda, it could be a bad master cylinder. The machine is new enough that Honda will handle it if it is still within warranty and might still handle if it is not under warranty as a good will repair. One more thought, if the brake is not spongy all the time it is probably not air, I am now leaning toward a master cylinder problem.
That is what I think also,it is 2months out of warranty...... did not think I would have any problems with honda. Never have on my other machines.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Do you have front a-arm guards?

Reactions: Smitty335 and lee
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Try keeping it on the trailer where it looses brakes. Pump it once and then leave it on the trailer in that spot. Wait 5 minutes and then pump it again and see if it lost pressure. In theory the brakes should work at any angle and you should not loose pressure. So maybe a pin hole in a lone that only opens when your rig is tilted up

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!