P500 Burning oil!!!

Pawnman87

Pawnman87

Oct 4, 2015
Murfreesboro, Ar
Ownership

1. 500
Really need some help/advise from the more mechanically inclined folk on here. P500 is burning/ losing oil! She didnt get ridden much throughout the winter and she lives in a shed when i cant ride her. But now that its riding season i went through and changed all the fluids and noticed that i was low on oil before i changed it. Put new oil and filters in and been riding the fire out of here for a couple of weeks now and been noticing a burnt smell when going down hill and engine braking! Didnt think much of it at first but now its getting worse! after just a couple of hours of riding it was a 1/2 quart low!! I cant find any leaks anywhere so its not leaking out it has to be burning it but there is no smoke visible at all when driving/idling i even set up my go pro so i video it while driving and even when engine braking down hill you cant see it you can only smell it... Its a 15 model never been sunk i dont mud i only trail ride hitting the only the smaller holes that cant be avoided and i dont ride deep water. It is under warranty but i dont wanna take it up there being a 2 hour drive and day off work to take it lol. Any one out there know what could have caused it??? it has only started this since it sat for about 2 months while it was too cold to take out.... Any help ideas or advise on what could make it do this or even maybe how to fix would be greatly appreciated fellas!!!!!

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Since under warranty I’d add that 1/2 qrt and check again just to make sure you weren’t a little low after fill. 1/2 in two hours should be smoking pretty good. I realize you said smell too but hopefully that’s just a little spill maybe? If still chewing through oil then don’t mess around and bring her in like suggested

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would do what @CumminsPusher said and recheck.
That rate would def produce smoke...but it seems like anything with a catalytic converter tends to "scrub" that out a bit, so who knows.

The other thing is these appear to be one of Honda's "semi dry sump" engines, in which case you really have to follow the procedure in the manual to check the oil to get accurate, repeatable results.

If that fails, dealer time.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Ride a few more hours and check it . If it doesn't ever lose more , I wouldn't worry about it . I have noticed the smell you mentioned too at the same instances but no oil loss .

Reactions: CumminsPusher
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The one thing that is THE STANDARD here is
when something is screwing up and then @CumminsPusher says something (obviously from a bad experience)
you listen and take his advice.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Pawnman87

Pawnman87

Oct 4, 2015
Murfreesboro, Ar
Ownership

1. 500
Nothing really ever turned up... decided just to top it off still have the smell slightly when engine braking but only notice with windshield on when wind is getting recirculated from the back... rode several hundred miles changed oil and doesnt seem to be low at all but still catching smell occasionally so i have no idea but no leaks,no more missing oil maybe it just sat too long and needed to be rode... have about a 1000 miles on it since and a couple oil changes and no more problems. Lesson learned- dont neglect the P5 lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!