toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Having had a YXZ SS SE with 70/30 reduction and now a Talon R, I can say if you want a machine to rip and handle like on rails, the YXZ is better. If you want more of an all around unit, the Honda Hands down. With the YXZ, you have no option but to paddle shift even if you are with a group running 20 MPH, gets boring. With the Talon, can throw it in Automatic and just follow along. I got rid of mine cause wife could not shift by tone. She either over reved it or lugged it.

Can also say that working on Honda (oil changes etc) is WAY easier than YXZ. Seemed like everything you did to it, you took it half apart. On the Honda, only getting to air filter is a pain (removing storage box) and I fixed that with snorkel so it lasts & lasts. The YXZ had better shocks stock with more adjustment, but once I went to different tender springs, seldom adjust Talon.

YXZ motor revs way higher most of time, doesn't hurt anything but gets old when not riding hard. The 6-speed 2-speed of Honda is more versitale than the Yamaha 5-speed too

Other than Plushness, both are hands down better than Polaris in quality and dependability.

Thanks. My rides are probably 20-25 mph with the wife. Significantly faster with friends, but most of the have rangers or 4wd atvs. So while the yxz would be fun, I think I cruise more than 70% of the time. And only “race” 30% or less.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks. My rides are probably 20-25 mph with the wife. Significantly faster with friends, but most of the have rangers or 4wd atvs. So while the yxz would be fun, I think I cruise more than 70% of the time. And only “race” 30% or less.

Well, there ya go, narrowed down to a choice of one. Next thing ya know, we'll help ya spend 100% of yer disposable income on accessories ya can't live without - exactly like they did to me - mostly @Lil_Steve in my case. :oops:

Lil_Steve his own self, first ride, almost stock Talon - :eek:
2019110813090922  5985563141538410079 IMG 3352 L

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, there ya go, narrowed down to a choice of one. Next thing ya know, we'll help ya spend 100% of yer disposable income on accessories ya can't live without - exactly like they did to me - mostly @Lil_Steve in my case. :oops:

Lil_Steve his own self, first ride, almost stock Talon - :eek:
View attachment 253202

Glad you stepped out of the passenger seat that day, huh?

With regard to the YXZ/Talon comparison, I think we both got the same impression from our YXZ test drive/demo ride later that day. The YXZ begs to be driven fast and is capable in a much narrower setting than the Talon. In stock form it's absolutely the wrong type of machine for slow trail or rock crawling since there is no low range. But in the right environment it's a lot of fun. I'm glad I ended up with a Talon, it suits me much better for the type of riding I enjoy.

Reactions: toddvdh and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Glad you stepped out of the passenger seat that day, huh?

With regard to the YXZ/Talon comparison, I think we both got the same impression from our YXZ test drive/demo ride later that day. The YXZ begs to be driven fast and is capable in a much narrower setting than the Talon. In stock form it's absolutely the wrong type of machine for slow trail or rock crawling since there is no low range. But in the right environment it's a lot of fun. I'm glad I ended up with a Talon, it suits me much better for the type of riding I enjoy.
Damn glad!!! :eek: Obtw: I’m the handsome photog shadow dude in the lower left.:cool:

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Next question. Is live valve worth $2500 over the base model?

I do like the blue better than the orange.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Next question. Is live valve worth $2500 over the base model?

I do like the blue better than the orange.

The LV wasn't available on the 2 seater when I bought mine. I'm a sucker for trick electronic wizardry and most likely would have stepped up to the cost. However, after watching the reports of so many pissy little failures taking weeks to be resolved, I'm glad I didn't. The tech will be super cool 'someday' but I don't want to be a beta tester with my expensive ride sitting in the dealership waiting for the dealerships techs to figure out what pissy little part failed and that part is probably on backorder. Even worse, if you live in a small town the techs are getting paid peanuts and may not have a clue how to work on complicated electronics and the associated complex mechanical systems.

One thing about it though, fixing a failed system incrementally is much less expensive that retrofitting from scratch like I'll have to do if I ever feel it's ready for prime time.

In the meantime, I'll gladly settle for $1500 in springs and revalving.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I've been following this thread a bit and found a second machine today.

The Pioneer will be mine and the Arctic Cat is a 2015 Wildcat Sport for my wife. The boys (6&4) haven't decided where they want to ride yet
IMG 20210206 190701
PXL 20210207 015335148

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
1,100 miles is barely broken in. Be aware many SxSs are in short supply and high demand, if it isn't beat up it sounds like a keeper.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know about the prices and supply. This fall I sold a ranger 570 for more than it was worth, and I just sold the brute force 750 today for a good price. Now I have some cash to buy another Honda!

The pictures look good. Want to see it in person and bring some cash to put down if it looks as good as the pictures seem.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya. Team has only has 1 live valve 2 seater x. No other models. I was in there last week and they said they are only guaranteed to get 3 more talons in in fall. That is all they think they are going to get in 2021 according to Honda.

Or that’s just salesman bs to get me to buy the live valve one right now.:rolleyes: I’m not sure at this point in the plandemic.

My buddy works at a dealership and their supply is definitely cut back.

To your original question. If you refuse to consider any CVT then I'd definitely pick the talon over the yxz. Otherwise, being in Wisconsin the krx is a no go. Can am makes a good rig but its more expensive than a talon. I think all roads probably lead back to the talon in your case.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know about the prices and supply. This fall I sold a ranger 570 for more than it was worth, and I just sold the brute force 750 today for a good price. Now I have some cash to buy another Honda!

The pictures look good. Want to see it in person and bring some cash to put down if it looks as good as the pictures seem.

Have you checked out this machine?
Pretty clean and nice mods New & Used Powersports & Watercrafts | Team Winnebagoland

Reactions: toddvdh
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s the one I want to check out Tuesday when they open!! It does have a custom cage, but I’ll probably only run a 1/2 windshield, or goggles in my helmet.

I looked at it last week. It has 5 matching wheels and tires. I think it had trail armor skid plates. It has arched lower a-arms (superatv as I recall) and has the rear lateral links replaced with billet aluminum ones. The wheels and tires have some scuffs and wear. The cage looks good but I don't know how it will work with Talon accessories. Overall, it's expensive but a very well put together machine for the price.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I looked at it last week. It has 5 matching wheels and tires. I think it had trail armor skid plates. It has arched lower a-arms (superatv as I recall) and has the rear lateral links replaced with billet aluminum ones. The wheels and tires have some scuffs and wear. The cage looks good but I don't know how it will work with Talon accessories. Overall, it's expensive but a very well put together machine for the price.

Thanks for the heads up. I was kind of thinking it has some of that stuff. I looked up blue book and it’s a little high, but with the accessories it isn’t a terrible price. Especially considering I just sold 2 units for over blue book also.

I’m excited to see it in person. I build lots of stuff and enjoy fabrication, both wood and metal. So I could build my own roof from aluminum or plastic. I’m sure I could figure out a rear and front window to fabricate if needed also. I highly doubt I would put upper doors on it.

Wheels and tires are what they are. Scuffs don’t really bother me. I’ve never actually worn out a set of tires on any machine I’ve owned, even after 10 years, so maybe this will give me a chance too. I don’t really ride on pavement. Most roads and trails are gravel or sand. :)

Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, I checked out the used one linked above. Everything seems in good shape and it drove nice. All the aftermarket accessories were installed very nice and the wiring was done really neat. The rear tender springs (but not the front) are collapsed. That was really the only thing wrong I could find.

I’m picking it up Thursday!!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I checked out the used one linked above. Everything seems in good shape and it drove nice. All the aftermarket accessories were installed very nice and the wiring was done really neat. The rear tender springs (but not the front) are collapsed. That was really the only thing wrong I could find.

Very cool. Glad it worked out for you

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

Congrats! The rear tender springs come from the factory basically collapsed....so that is normal in stock form. You will have tons of fun!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Awesome!!! Congrats on picking the correct color ;)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!