P500 Choosing between 2 tire sets. Advice?

SamHyde

SamHyde

Oct 2, 2019
Walker, WV
Ownership

1. 500
Tusk Trilobite 26's VS SunF Power I 27's. Great price on both and I think I want the extra height from the 27's. I'm upgrading from a 25. Any of you fine folks have experience with these tires?

Reactions: Isaiah
A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I have Sunf 27s. They look huge on the 500...way better than the 24s. I had to adjust the clutch after the change. Felt like it was slipping a little.

I I had to do it again. I’d probably get the same tire in 26s

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
What terrain do ride in/on? Dirt/gravel/pavement/mud/snow?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Without diving into Google, seems like I remember the Trilobites are primarily a mud tire? I could well be wrong though. I just remember from my tire research I ruled them out, but don't remember why. I avoid mudding when I can . . .

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
As of this writing ( :) ) , I intend to go with the Kenda Bearclaw HTR for my P5.
My usage is similar to yours, sounds like.
Recently bought SunFs for my quad, but haven't ridden it on them yet.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
I don't believe you can do better than Bighorn 2.0 in 27s for the P500. That's what I run. The tread pattern is extremely versatile. I run ITP Terra Hooks on my Talon and bought them because they have a pseudo Bighorn tread pattern which works great. If you are on pavement a lot, the Bighorns might not be the best due to the rounded profile, but I don't run my P500 on pavement. I've done mostly rock crawling with it. Now that I have the Talon, the P500 will be relegated to duty on my East Texas property where the soil is mostly sand. The Bighorns work great in sand as well as rock, and even in moderate mud. Bighorn 27s are a true 27 inch...maybe slightly on the big size. I used 1.5 inch spacers for added stability, but it will work without the spacers too. You might be a little more tippy without the spacers, but I attribute that more to tire flex on the taller sidewall than the change in center of gravity from the taller tire. The ride is smoother with the taller sidewalls too.

Edit.... Turns out I have 26 inch tires and misremembered them as 27 inch. so just replace 27 with 26 in my post.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't believe you can do better than Bighorn 2.0 in 27s for the P500. That's what I run. The tread pattern is extremely versatile. I run ITP Terra Hooks on my Talon and bought them because they have a pseudo Bighorn tread pattern which works great. If you are on pavement a lot, the Bighorns might not be the best due to the rounded profile, but I don't run my P500 on pavement. I've done mostly rock crawling with it. Now that I have the Talon, the P500 will be relegated to duty on my East Texas property where the soil is mostly sand. The Bighorns work great in sand as well as rock, and even in moderate mud. Bighorn 27s are a true 27 inch...maybe slightly on the big size. I used 1.5 inch spacers for added stability, but it will work without the spacers too. You might be a little more tippy without the spacers, but I attribute that more to tire flex on the taller sidewall than the change in center of gravity from the taller tire. The ride is smoother with the taller sidewalls too.
Sedona Mud Rebel RT

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
I went with 26-9-12 for the extra sidewalls in bighorn 2.0 and they ride so much better than the stock tires. Only thing I wish was that I would have gotten 27 in the same size. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Isaiah and trigger
A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500

To add a bit more detail, I run the Sunf version of the Bighorns in the following flavor and size.

SunF A033 "Power I"
27x9-12 & 27x11-12

They look great and ride better than stock. I did add mud busters to the front and still have the backs to do. I do not run spacers and they are on the stock rims. No interference in turns.

I use my Pioneer exclusively on my property and mostly for chores. I have not taken it trail riding. If I were to go trail riding where it would lean significantly to the sides, I’d probably opt for spacers.

A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Hopefully this info is useful to someone trying to decide on bigger tires than stock.

After a couple of months of riding on the 27’s, I’d buy them again over 26” tires I mentioned in an earlier post. As times goes on, the tires don’t look as huge as they did right after the swap and look more like they should be stock Offering. They ride well and the P500 looks great with 27s. I did add the Mudbusters rear kit that moves the fenders outward.
I did opt for 1.5” spacers only on the rear to add stability and realign the tires with the fenders.

Reactions: Mudder
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
You know...my tires are actually 26. I don't know how I got to thinking they were 27. Unlike Avi8or, I'd not go bigger - at least not in the bighorns. I'd consider it with a different brand with an inflated tire size label.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You know...my tires are actually 26. I don't know how I got to thinking they were 27.

Probably because the actual height is right in the middle, lol! BH's do run tall, the 26's are 26.5 actual. By the chart and I physically measured them. Had a handful of guys tell me I could run 28's without arched a arms, including Outkast! No way man, not BH's, they'll scrub.
Btw, they are 28 1/8" actual.

Reactions: jamesh
SamHyde

SamHyde

Oct 2, 2019
Walker, WV
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 20201116 135426095 HDR

What a difference. I only had time for a short ride, but going to 27's basically improved everything. Running 12 psi right but but I suspect I could go lower..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!