• Thread starter FreedomIsUniversal
  • Start date
J

jlwardn

May 25, 2020
West Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 LE. I run it on trails and the dunes. It does better in the dunes than I thought.......however, my buddy has a new Can Am and that thing is amazing in the dunes. I am not selling my Pioneer. I'm sad because it is so reliable and pretty practical for just about everything.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 LE. I run it on trails and the dunes. It does better in the dunes than I thought.......however, my buddy has a new Can Am and that thing is amazing in the dunes. I am not selling my Pioneer. I'm sad because it is so reliable and pretty practical for just about everything.
Is the Can Am turbo'd? If so, not a fair comparison; even comparing the Pioneer to a sport SxS is one sided. I'd love a turbo but it would be useless for 99% of my riding - not a smart purchase for me. The grass looks greener on the other side of the fence but it has weeds too. :)

P

petek5090

I want to buy my first UTV, and need help choosing. My maximum budget is $22,000.

I want something that
  • Can seat at least 4 people
  • Has enough bed space for hunting and hunting gear and hauling any game
  • Is also good for off-roading in sand dunes and dirt roads
  • No need for towing or much utility other than hauling gear for hunting
I’m leaning toward a Pioneer 1000-5, but don’t know how well the latest models would perform in sand dunes. My primary focus would be for off-roading on dirt roads and sand dunes, but I also want something with enough utility for hunting.

Thoughts?
I miss Reno, I rode Dog Valley, Lemmon Valley, North of Sun Valley, Boca,-Stampede-Prosser, Sardine Valley, Frenchman's Lake, Davis Lake, Rye Patch, you can now ride from Washoe Lake ranger station into Virginia City have lunch with the family and ride back down and your tow rig is watched by the park rangers which is pretty cool . There is a dirt road from Frenchman's to Antelope Lake also. Talon is out for me no need to get anywhere quick, stick with the pioneer, with your budget you can get two p5's for the family and never need to ask a buddy to go along in case of a failure on the trails. Big Valley Honda was always my go to shop. Get some 8 ply tires for sharp rocks, I have GBC Dirt Commander bias, no regrets.

Reactions: Trapper5885 and CID
J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talons are great in the dunes - until they aren't. :p

I've actually taken my Pioneer 1000-5 LE to Sand Hollow there, got stuck once...then someone pulled me backwards suggested I let out half the air in my tires and it really helped...stock tires at the time. Went back a second time a year later and did not get stuck at all, as more prepared that time.

Here is a short video when I was driving around the top of it after climbing up the Dunes, I did not record any time on the Dunes.

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to buy my first UTV, and need help choosing. My maximum budget is $22,000.

I want something that
  • Can seat at least 4 people
  • Has enough bed space for hunting and hunting gear and hauling any game
  • Is also good for off-roading in sand dunes and dirt roads
  • No need for towing or much utility other than hauling gear for hunting
I’m leaning toward a Pioneer 1000-5, but don’t know how well the latest models would perform in sand dunes. My primary focus would be for off-roading on dirt roads and sand dunes, but I also want something with enough utility for hunting.

Thoughts?
Really your two options would be the Pioneer 1000-5 or the Talon 4 seater, maybe even the Pioneer 700 4 seater...depending on size. I have a P1000-5 LE 2018 model that I love. Already have 3200 miles on it, the vast majority of my riding is in the mountains of Utah, although I have been to Sandhollow state park twice with it. Got stuck in the Sand dunes one time, when someone helped me get unstuck they suggested I let half the air out of the tires, which I did...and it really helped with traction. Didn't need full pressure for sand riding, and never got stuck again in the Dunes. Went back to Sand hollow a year later and did not get stuck at all.

I would not say a Pioneer 1000 is the best for Dune riding but it worked for me.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've actually taken my Pioneer 1000-5 LE to Sand Hollow there, got stuck once...then someone pulled me backwards suggested I let out half the air in my tires and it really helped...stock tires at the time. Went back a second time a year later and did not get stuck at all, as more prepared that time.

Here is a short video when I was driving around the top of it after climbing up the Dunes, I did not record any time on the Dunes.
I got introduced to the beauty of southern Utah in 1972 (Lake Powell) and have been back almost every year since; either boating of dirt biking, up to 4 weeks a year. Now I get a do over with the SxS. @Lil_Steve invited me to ride with him at the Sand Hollow rally last November, we had so much fun I came home and bought my first SxS.

Reactions: Mudwing
J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got introduced to the beauty of southern Utah in 1972 (Lake Powell) and have been back almost every year since; either boating of dirt biking, up to 4 weeks a year. Now I get a do over with the SxS. @Lil_Steve invited me to ride with him at the Sand Hollow rally last November, we had so much fun I came home and bought my first SxS.
I went to the SXS Adventure Rally HCR SXS Adventure Rally in November of 2018, that was my first time there...went back for riding the next year, no rally just riding. Personally though I prefer mountain trails, 66 inches, with lots of trees.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went to the SXS Adventure Rally HCR SXS Adventure Rally in November of 2018, that was my first time there...went back for riding the next year, no rally just riding. Personally though I prefer mountain trails, 66 inches, with lots of trees.
I've lived my whole life in Colorado (vacations excepted) and don't care if I never see another pine tree. ROFL Hence my draw to the desert. 😍
I gnJLP7J XL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!