• Thread starter FreedomIsUniversal
  • Start date
F

FreedomIsUniversal

Oct 3, 2020
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I want to buy my first UTV, and need help choosing. My maximum budget is $22,000.

I want something that
  • Can seat at least 4 people
  • Has enough bed space for hunting and hunting gear and hauling any game
  • Is also good for off-roading in sand dunes and dirt roads
  • No need for towing or much utility other than hauling gear for hunting
I’m leaning toward a Pioneer 1000-5, but don’t know how well the latest models would perform in sand dunes. My primary focus would be for off-roading on dirt roads and sand dunes, but I also want something with enough utility for hunting.

Thoughts?

D

DDDonkey

Well the pioneer is a great machine and it does well with everything you are talking about, the only flag is the sand dunes. When you say dunes what are you asking? I have taken my pioneer to Glamis and it does well but it is not designed fir that, it just does not have the wheel travel. You need to know how to drive, and read the dunes, it was a huge learning curve for me, but I can go most everywhere my buddies go. The Talon 4 seater may be a better option depending on the about of gear you will be hauling. Good luck with your search and welcome.

F

FreedomIsUniversal

Oct 3, 2020
Reno, Nevada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don’t plan on it being the best on sand dunes, but I live pretty close to several sand dune parks, and would like the machine to handle decently on them when taking friends and family out for a spin.

The main thing is can I have a lot of fun on sand dunes with a stock Pioneer rig? It doesn’t have to go up the steepest dunes or have the best performance, but as long as I can do most of the medium size dunes and some steep ones and have a lot of fun that’s fine.

Reactions: Isaiah
D

DDDonkey

The pioneer in stock form will handle what your saying but I don’t think you will be happy. The ride will be ruff and beat your body over time. For the occasional dune trip sure it will do it but if I was going more than once a year it would not be the machine for me. Don’t get me wrong I love my pioneer and love the looks I get at the dunes with it, but I am driving at its limits, don’t forget the pioneers are top heavy. I would see if you can rent one, take it out to the dunes first before buying.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talons are great in the dunes - until they aren't. :p

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don’t plan on it being the best on sand dunes, but I live pretty close to several sand dune parks, and would like the machine to handle decently on them when taking friends and family out for a spin.

The main thing is can I have a lot of fun on sand dunes with a stock Pioneer rig? It doesn’t have to go up the steepest dunes or have the best performance, but as long as I can do most of the medium size dunes and some steep ones and have a lot of fun that’s fine.

Based on these comments I'd say you need something more sporty than the pioneer offers.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. Like @Cuoutdoors said, sounds like you would be more suited for a Talon4. I have a PioneerP1K3, but it is used a lot for yard/farm/utility type work. We don't have sand dunes nor do I hunt.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I originally bought my Pioneer for hunting but now do a lot more recreational riding. Lots of good options out there.

Reactions: TitanTom and Isaiah
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Get the Talon 4 don't look back have fun . But most people get what there going to get just my opinion.

advertisement
Adam_20_Adam

Adam_20_Adam

Aug 25, 2019
Western Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I want to buy my first UTV, and need help choosing. My maximum budget is $22,000.

I want something that
I’m leaning toward a Pioneer 1000-5, but don’t know how well the latest models would perform in sand dunes. My primary focus would be for off-roading on dirt roads and sand dunes, but I also want something with enough utility for hunting.

Thoughts?
I have a pioneer 1000/5 special edition. 2017 model. It is by far one of the best UTV I have ever owned. I have had one of every brand with the exception of the new Kawasaki Teryx. Not much bed space with all 5 seats up and used though. So if you need to haul material as well as 4 people probably need to look at getting a bed extension or small trailer. Mine went great at the dunes. I did reflash it and ran paddle tires. Not the fastest but we always enjoy it.
A

G

Goalie309

Sep 19, 2020
Usa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I want something that

Thoughts?
I just purchased pioneer 1000-5 and it will do everything u want and more. I couldn't be happier with mine

S

SuperMario

Aug 5, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Talon R
I recently bought a Talon 2 seater Fox Live Valve. I previously had a Pioneer 1000 3 seater. Totally satisfied except for the ride comfort. The bench seat is not any fun after a few hours on the trails. The Pioneer is a great all around machine for work and pleasure. It has sufficient horsepower for all your needs. The biggest difference between the 2 are ride comfort and storage space. If you are looking for ride comfort as I was, the talon is the one to go with hands down. If you are looking for storage space the pioneer is the one for you. If you are interested in riding in the dunes, I would look at the Talon and see if you can make it work for hunting due to small storage and a little bit longer. The talon will be a much more fun and comfortable machine to ride. You can get a 4 seater Talon at your budget (not a live valve). Test ride the Talon and Pioneer before buying. I have a friend who has buyers remorse after purchasing his pioneer-5. He wishes he bought the talon now. I didn't have the option in 2017 because the talon wasn't available.

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its pretty difficult to get max performance and utility value from a s x s without a compromise somewhere. I love fast exotic cars and tearing around on hi performance stuff. I have a Rincon in addition to ly 1000-5 for that use but I will be using my 1000-5 80% of the time because i usially have dog boxes guns gear ect. The Talon is a beast particulary in the area of rock crawling and would love to own one. For a combo/compromise choice the 1000-5 is the last word. I cant see hunting from a talon given my situation. So just sell the furniture , skip a vacation or 2, pawn the silverware and buy both. Hint gold prices are wayyyy up now. Selling the old lady's jewelry is a great way to raise cash for some great accessories. Lol.

raycox4385

raycox4385

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 700-2
I understand where you're coming from wanting something to do the trails and dunes but also wanting to bed for hunting and stuff I trade in a pioneer two-seater 700 for the Talon two-seater I miss the bedspace and the pioneer but when it comes to comfort and ride hands down it's the Talon. You may want to look at the new Yamaha that just come out comes in a two-seater and a four-seater with some nice bed space. Looks like it's sort of set up for the best of both worlds

Gunslingertom

Gunslingertom

Nov 25, 2018
SW Missouri Ozarks
Ownership

1. 700-2
I recently took my 700 to Little Sahara State Park in Waynoka, Oklahoma, becsuse my sand rail was down. It did better than I thought it wound do. Even hauled 2 broken down rails back to camp. I'm pretty sure a 1000 would have been better as it has nearly double the HP for climbing big dunes. I climbed every dune there, but it did struggle a bit on the taller ones. That said, if my budget was 22K, I'd be all over a Talon. Their only limitation is the tire that's on it at the time. Even then, they seem to go everywhere. I say, buy all you can afford.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Gunslingertom

Gunslingertom

Nov 25, 2018
SW Missouri Ozarks
Ownership

1. 700-2
And here it is at the dunes.

IMG 20200906 194502

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda needs to tak a clue from the auto makers who are making hi performance SUVs. Haul kids haul groceries haul stuff to go hunting but still able ti haul a** when the situation allows. Unfortunately Honda does not make a good dual purpose hi oetformance SxS. My 1000 is more than adequate on flat surfaces but steep sand dunes- forget it. Not acceptable. If Honda would make a 100 ho turbo powered 4 passenger model with decent storage flip up seats and a well engineeted adjustable suspension system people would beat their doors down to buy it. I love Honda stuff will buy nothing but. However Honda has a corporate mentality of resting on laurels and milking the cash cows. R& D
and accessory product development is pathetic. This thread is a glaring example. Honda can do better

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Talons are awesome ! However they would haul a Javalina and thats about it . Nothing will haul 4 peeps and game BUT the Pioneer 1000 5 with the rear seats down will do the best .
If you can live with belt drive (10 yr guarantee on the belt) you should give the Yamaha Rmax 1000 4 a good look .

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!