P1000 Clicking and stalling out when plowing snow

T

tgillespie

Dec 4, 2019
Silverthorne, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently added a second battery to my 1000-5 for winter plowing. When engaging the winch and moving, sometimes the system would bog down. Moved the winch to the second battery and I no longer have that issue... but occasionally when I'm plowing, the machine clicks and stalls out at slow speeds. Using it in low gear remedies the situation, but is there anything I should check on the machine, or should I be plowing in L more regularly?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should and need to use low range.

gets the rpm’s up and the motor working hard. Gets the oil and coolant up to temp to keep crankcase moisture to a minimum and heats up your cab faster if you have a cab heater.

if you’re using low range, you’ll run out of traction long before power.

put putting around in the winter is the worst thing you can do. It needs to sing!

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You know, I've also gotten weird looks from most people when I mention it, but did you read the manual? Your asking for clutch problems working the machine in high range. I don't plow snow but I'd say to want be in manual mode and keep the machine in a working RPM range. Lugging and engine under load is a no, no.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For plowing snow I actually liked my old 700 better than the 1000. If you got up against a snow pile the torque converter would just stall out. With my 1000 I use it in Low with Manual mode for shifting. When I put it in low I make sure to pull down on the handle shifter and check the gear display to make sure it is in low. There used to by quite a few owners that had it pop out of or grind when going into low.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On a side note, I also make sure to back up from the snow pile a little before I lift the plow up. It helps to relieve the stress of lifting it on the winch and front suspension. I used to break a lot of winch cables when I used my atv but since I've done this it has minimized the breakage.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On a side note, I also make sure to back up from the snow pile a little before I lift the plow up. It helps to relieve the stress of lifting it on the winch and front suspension. I used to brake a lot of winch cables when I used my atv but since I've done this it has minimized the breakage.
Good tip!

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recently added a second battery to my 1000-5 for winter plowing. When engaging the winch and moving, sometimes the system would bog down. Moved the winch to the second battery and I no longer have that issue... but occasionally when I'm plowing, the machine clicks and stalls out at slow speeds. Using it in low gear remedies the situation, but is there anything I should check on the machine, or should I be plowing in L more regularly?
😳…🤦‍♂️

T

To-Bud

Aug 25, 2019
St. Clair, Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to add that using a high current demand accessory like a winch repeatedly during snow plowing will put your charging system and battery(s) in deficit. The clicking noise you hear is telling you this and the stalling issue means you have dropped below minimum system voltage probably. Running in low to increase rpm will help and you should put a trickle charger on the system after plowing to bring the batteries back up to snuff.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!