Common Engine Tuning Terms

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lynn asked if we could create a list of common terms we're using when talking about modifications to our pioneers. I'll start here, and maybe if it gets useful enough it can become a sticky.

Mapping - Here's a pretty good link explaining fuel maps, and mapping. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/fuel-mapping-computer2.htm
map sensor - Here's the Wiki on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAP_sensor
fuel controller - See PCV below
ignition timing map - Wiki on ignition timing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing
PCV - Power Commander Fuel Controller: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/pcfc/powercommander_pcfc.aspx
ESC - Wiki on Electronic Speed Controller: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_speed_control

Feel free to add to it, and I can add to the initial post.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Alright thanks for taking the ball and running with it. How about a plug and go controller? Air Fuel Ratio? What ratio is considered the best? When is it to lean? Etc. preignition?

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Cool now I will be able to under stand what you Men are talking about! :) Saddly I am not tring to be funny, this post will be a great tool!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I will plug away at these slowly as I have time. sorry about the spelling not a strong point for me.

fuel map! first we need to know how fuel injection works
there are engine inputs to the computer/ ecm.

map sensor = manifold absolute pressure. this tells the computer what the vacuum or pressure in the intake manifold is it also mesures outside air pressure. out side air pressure = altitude and weather change.
side note.. my turbo turns on the check engine if it sees more than 8 psi. that's because the computer map thinks that cant happen and we are out of the map parameters so something is wrong. note on some vehicles this is done with a mass air flow sensor.

I will have to go look what Honda uses for abbreviation for these sensors

tps = throttle position sensor. this tells the computer how much and how fast your pushing the gas peddle. If you push it really fast the fuel will need to be richened momentarily to make up for the rush of air that come to replace the vacuum that was there. if the peadle is just cracked it wont need as much gas as if it wide open.

ect = engine temp sensor the map needs to know what the engine temp is. if the motor is cold it will need more fuel to start and run.

ait = air intake temp if the air is cold its denser than if its hot. denser air needs more fuel. hot air needs less.

crank angle sensor. this is a group of bumps on the flywheel that tells the computer where in the stroke the motor is. dumping gas in after the valve closes isn't the best thing to do for performance.

I think I have them all I will have to look and see later.

ok now these are the inputs the computer uses. the computer is the ecm = electronic control module

the ecm s job is to take these inputs to send the right fuel amounts to the injector and set the right timing for the moment.

the fuel injector is just a very fancy water valve. the injector has a known amount of fuel that come out at rated pressure.
stock is 45psi and it will shoot 420cc of fuel per hour or maybe minute. I have to look that up.
so the ecm adjust the amount of time the injector is fired to get the right amount of fuel. this is injector duration.
80% is considered max duration that should be used by most. we could not get much more than 55% on the dyno.

ok now we have the sensors telling us what is going on we have the ecm controlling the injector. but how does the computer know what to do?
answer! it has a map. some one told the computer that if this that and the other think is happening you should do this. that's all a map is
any questions lol. this was fun lets keep it going.
o buy the way that's how the trainy works too it has its own map.

when every one feels good about how this works we can move on to what happens when we modify the motor and what a programmer / fuel controller does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will plug away at these slowly as I have time. sorry about the spelling not a strong point for me.

fuel map! first we need to know how fuel injection works
there are engine inputs to the computer/ ecm.

map sensor = manifold absolute pressure. this tells the computer what the vacuum or pressure in the intake manifold is it also mesures outside air pressure. out side air pressure = altitude and weather change.
side note.. my turbo turns on the check engine if it sees more than 8 psi. that's because the computer map thinks that cant happen and we are out of the map parameters so something is wrong. note on some vehicles this is done with a mass air flow sensor.

I will have to go look what Honda uses for abbreviation for these sensors

tps = throttle position sensor. this tells the computer how much and how fast your pushing the gas peddle. If you push it really fast the fuel will need to be richened momentarily to make up for the rush of air that come to replace the vacuum that was there. if the peadle is just cracked it wont need as much gas as if it wide open.

ect = engine temp sensor the map needs to know what the engine temp is. if the motor is cold it will need more fuel to start and run.

ait = air intake temp if the air is cold its denser than if its hot. denser air needs more fuel. hot air needs less.

crank angle sensor. this is a group of bumps on the flywheel that tells the computer where in the stroke the motor is. dumping gas in after the valve closes isn't the best thing to do for performance.

I think I have them all I will have to look and see later.

ok now these are the inputs the computer uses. the computer is the ecm = electronic control module

the ecm s job is to take these inputs to send the right fuel amounts to the injector and set the right timing for the moment.

the fuel injector is just a very fancy water valve. the injector has a known amount of fuel that come out at rated pressure.
stock is 45psi and it will shoot 420cc of fuel per hour or maybe minute. I have to look that up.
so the ecm adjust the amount of time the injector is fired to get the right amount of fuel. this is injector duration.
80% is considered max duration that should be used by most. we could not get much more than 55% on the dyno.

ok now we have the sensors telling us what is going on we have the ecm controlling the injector. but how does the computer know what to do?
answer! it has a map. some one told the computer that if this that and the other think is happening you should do this. that's all a map is
any questions lol. this was fun lets keep it going.
o buy the way that's how the trainy works too it has its own map.

when every one feels good about how this works we can move on to what happens when we modify the motor and what a programmer / fuel controller does.
Thank you for breaking that down in an easy way to understand! I'm learning!

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
here's some more guys. questions and conversations welcome

02 sensors
= this measures the amount of 02 in the exhaust stream. this tells the ecm what the actual arf ratio is.

wide band 02 the old o2 sensors ran 0 to 1 volt readings and were slower to react. the wide band sencors reads -2 volt at rich to +4 volt at lean with 0 being stoichiometric. these sensors are very quick to react making them much better at controlling afr.

afr = air to fuel ratio. For gasoline engines, the stoichiometric, A/F ratio is 14.7:1 had to google this--- In the combustion reaction, oxygen reacts with the fuel, and the point where exactly all oxygen is consumed and all fuel burned is defined as the stoichiometric point.

16.0:1 afr = leaner 10.0:1 afr =Richer

14 .7 is really good for emissions. the 2015 700's have an o2 sensor. the bike is shooting for 14.7 at programed times in the fuel map. this is for federal emissions. this usually accrues when the bike is under partial and relatively constant throttle. like driving down a dirt road.

I have been running 13.5 at idle , 12.8 at cruse and 11.8 wide open that's what my bike likes. boosted motors like richer mixtures .
the pioneer in stock for feels stronger when run richer too.

egt.= exhaust gas temp. typically a temp probe is mounted in the exhaust as close to the exhaust valve as possible.
if egts get to hot the motor melts down.
before wide band o2 sensors egt readings where used a lot buy racers for jetting. if you ran your motor on a dyno and it made maximum power at a certain temp you could use that temp as a jetting guide later on at the track. wide band has pretty much replaced this.
it can be used to keep from melting turbos. keeping egts below 1800 at the turbo is recommended.
egts are used more on diesel today. diesels melt down relatively eases and at lower temps. I let up at 1250 f in my truck.

Last edited:
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
chassy dyno
this is a set of roller you put the drive wheels on. the roller have a set amount of drag. this drag could be fluid brakes ,fans and or just heavy rollers.
if we know the amount of drag we can time the amount of time it takes to get them up to a certain speed. from that set of numbers we can get horse power and torque. its all very subjective weather one dyno will read the same as another. the other thing is unless your drag racing all of the time its not real world. a gain in low end that feels good driving may barely show on the dyno graft.

when we were running mine we started testing after the bike was in third gear and at about 22 mph so it would not downshift.

to be a true dyno reading of the motor the Transmition needs to be in high gear. otherwise your reading gear reduction as horse power.
that's pretty had to do with a belt drive they don't stop shifting until there close to red line.

engine dyno
the dyno is mounted to the crankshaft. this give horse power with out drive line loss

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!