Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
No she got sticker shock when we were looking. Looked like a lot of over priced property. She was expecting comparable values as down here. We have a 2100 sq. ft Home on 5.2 acres here. Cant touch that up there for under $450,000. Well you can, but it is falling down or on a mountainside.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Frankly, with modern electronics, I don't see the need. Had one on my glider panel, it was hidden behind a small PDA that had the moving map. The only reason the magnetic compass was there was having one, and having a calibration correction card on it, was an FAA requirement - - a leftover from Lindbergh's flight I think.

T

Trouthunter

Mar 4, 2022
Eastern Sierras California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Frankly, with modern electronics, I don't see the need. Had one on my glider panel, it was hidden behind a small PDA that had the moving map. The only reason the magnetic compass was there was having one, and having a calibration correction card on it, was an FAA requirement - - a leftover from Lindbergh's flight I think.
Maybe a hand held in a emergency bag in case the gps fails.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe a hand held in a emergency bag in case the gps fails.
Not a bad idea. Also you can use sun position during day, stars at night, download a free compass app on your phone, or use the phone's gps, or carry a satellite SOS/communicator like the InReach, there are lots of options. The InReach in particular, though there's a monthly charge, saves lives. I carry mine with me in my sxs and in the plane.

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That will be easy to check, may have to do some shielding.
Shielding isn't normally the procedure, as you need the earth's magnetic field's influence on the compass. If there's stray magnetism that is too strong for the compass compensator magnets (the little adjusting screws on many compasses), then there's two choices I'm aware of. Using a degaussing coil to remove magnetism in the frame or installing a small magnet at a distance from the compass and placing or rotating that to bring the compass compensators into "range". Had to do that on an old Aeronca 7AC Champ I used to have. Worked great, as I sure's heck didn't want to degauss the whole plane with it's steel tube frame.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Shielding isn't normally the procedure, as you need the earth's magnetic field's influence on the compass. If there's stray magnetism that is too strong for the compass compensator magnets (the little adjusting screws on many compasses), then there's two choices I'm aware of. Using a degaussing coil to remove magnetism in the frame or installing a small magnet at a distance from the compass and placing or rotating that to bring the compass compensators into "range". Had to do that on an old Aeronca 7AC Champ I used to have. Worked great, as I sure's heck didn't want to degauss the whole plane with it's steel tube frame.
When you say distance?

Reactions: Biteme
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Distance? As far as reasonably possible with the extra magnet still able to "make up" for most of the error shown on the compass. At some airports, there's a "compass rose" painted on the tarmac. You use that to "swing the compass" or to check it etc. Fairly easy to set up your own with a good handheld compass and far away from influences like power lines and buildings etc.

You can look on-line for directions on how to swing the compass. Then see if the compensation magnets on-board (if so equipped) will do the job. If not, return them to neutral and start experimenting with the added magnet. With the rare earth magnets we have nowadays, that shouldn't be a problem, you can just find a place to stick them. That should normally be on the same plane (level) as the compass, so it doesn't tilt the card or needle (as applicable), and again, as far away as possible while retaining enough influence to do the job.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Distance? As far as reasonably possible with the extra magnet still able to "make up" for most of the error shown on the compass. At some airports, there's a "compass rose" painted on the tarmac. You use that to "swing the compass" or to check it etc. Fairly easy to set up your own with a good handheld compass and far away from influences like power lines and buildings etc.

You can look on-line for directions on how to swing the compass. Then see if the compensation magnets on-board (if so equipped) will do the job. If not, return them to neutral and start experimenting with the added magnet. With the rare earth magnets we have nowadays, that shouldn't be a problem, you can just find a place to stick them. That should normally be on the same plane (level) as the compass, so it doesn't tilt the card or needle (as applicable), and again, as far away as possible while retaining enough influence to do the job.
Thanks, something else to learn.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, something else to learn.

Sorry. :)

One thing about life, it's impossible to know it all. I heard on the radio a few years back, that a child born earlier this century, by the time he's twelve, is exposed to more information than a person born in the early 1800's would be exposed to in his entire lifetime. The complexity of the world we live in is staggering.

There's so much I'm interested in, that I'd liked to have done, mostly mechanical and electronic (and a lot more too). The careers I would have loved to embrace had I the education. But at 77, and being reasonably successful and well off, in spite of leaving home at 16 and not finishing high school. I guess I don't need to worry about all that . . . so I like learning as I'm curious and for fun.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry. :)

One thing about life, it's impossible to know it all. I heard on the radio a few years back, that a child born earlier this century, by the time he's twelve, is exposed to more information than a person born in the early 1800's would be exposed to in his entire lifetime. The complexity of the world we live in is staggering.

There's so much I'm interested in, that I'd liked to have done, mostly mechanical and electronic (and a lot more too). The careers I would have loved to embrace had I the education. But at 77, and being reasonably successful and well off, in spite of leaving home at 16 and not finishing high school. I guess I don't need to worry about all that . . . so I like learning as I'm curious and for fun.
Wish I had run into you before ordering a compass. I did some research, the Richie X-21WW is a non-compensating compass model. I'll have to check it out after I get it, how big of a magnet would I possibly need? I won't be shooting asthmas's with it, so just basic N, S, E, & W is all I need. Thanks!

T

Trouthunter

Mar 4, 2022
Eastern Sierras California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Learned about swinging the compass when installing on my fishing boats over the years. Also learned about using charts, radio direction fi nders, dead reckoning, and other basic navigational skills that are seldom used today. Always good to go back to basic technology if the electronics fails.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wish I had run into you before ordering a compass. I did some research, the Richie X-21WW is a non-compensating compass model. I'll have to check it out after I get it, how big of a magnet would I possibly need? Thanks!

Well, you may not need any at all, though I guess that's unlikely if you want the compass to be really accurate and not just "roughly accurate enough". With some experimentation, you should be able to correct the compass with one, no more than two, small rare earth magnets. Note that the round disk style have their north and south poles off their flat faces, so you may be better off with two small "bar" types with the N & S at their ends.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, you may not need any at all, though I guess that's unlikely if you want the compass to be really accurate and not just "roughly accurate enough". With some experimentation, you should be able to correct the compass with one, no more than two, small rare earth magnets. Note that the round disk style have their north and south poles off their flat faces, so you may be better off with two small "bar" types with the N & S at their ends.
Been an interesting evening exploring compass navigation, mostly marine and aircraft. Never knew what the rose was at the smaller airports, clunk now I do. HA! Another dumb question, do I have to anchor the correcting magnets permanently for correction? My wife is going to be madder than Hades when I paint a Rose on the drive way, I'll tell her it was your idea! HA!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CID and Biteme
advertisement