Cordless lawn mower

H

HondaTech

When I mowed my property with my old John Deere garden tractor, it took 3 1/2 hours per mow and I had to stop and fill the gas tank in the middle of my chore to complete the job. I bought a compact diesel tractor with a MMM (mid mount mower) which didn’t require a refuel and saved me about a half hours time. I bought a commercial ZTR and I can now mow my property in roughly 2 hours.

I wonder how many days/battery swaps it would take with an electric? Guess what? I’m not gonna find out. ;)

Mike

It definitely doesn't make sense for large consumer properties yet.

But these guys have electric mowers for commercial customers, but their a tad expensive.

Reactions: Smitty335
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Couple years ago we got a Greenworks 80volt. Mow 2/3 acre, bought extra battery and between the two they do it. Batts charge damn fast though. Also got weed whacker blower and chainsaw. Embarrassing saying but we wouldn’t go back to gas!

View attachment 385867
Is an electric car next? 🤣

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wonder how many days/battery swaps it would take with an electric? Guess what? I’m not gonna find out. ;)
My buddy mows lawns as a business. He tried/has a zero turn electric that houses like 4 or so batteries. Thought it would save time and money. Problems he had is this, The charge isnt long enough to get the lawns done before a charge to make it worth the while. He had to carry a portable gen on the trailer to charge the batteries (defeats the point) and uses a gas mower in between charges. His guys stopped even using it cuz of that and the power and charge not doing well in long grass. He sold it at the end of last season.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My buddy mows lawns as a business. He tried/has a zero turn electric that houses like 4 or so batteries. Thought it would save time and money. Problems he had is this, The charge isnt long enough to get the lawns done before a charge to make it worth the while. He had to carry a portable gen on the trailer to charge the batteries (defeats the point) and uses a gas mower in between charges. His guys stopped even using it cuz of that and the power and charge not doing well in long grass. He sold it at the end of last season.
FJB would have been proud.

H

HondaTech

I could have sworn that Honda put one out that was like the Roomba, what happened to that?
The make electric push mowers in Australia, I don't know why not here. They could've just paired up with a known battery manufacturer and slapped their name on it. But that's Honda for you.

They do make an autonomous mower, but it sucks compared to the competition.

You have to bury a signal line for the outline. It has the worst hill climbing ability and I believe the worst time before needing charged.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The make electric push mowers in Australia, I don't know why not here. They could've just paired up with a known battery manufacturer and slapped their name on it. But that's Honda for you.

They do make an autonomous mower, but it sucks compared to the competition.

You have to bury a signal line for the outline. It has the worst hill climbing ability and I believe the worst time before needing charged.

It's weird that with all the available tech and build capabilities, Honda puts out a turkey, and it's not the first time just look at the commercial walk behind they put out in the 90's.

Is it just AHM or is Japan making mistakes too?

advertisement
H

HondaTech

It's weird that with all the available tech and build capabilities, Honda puts out a turkey, and it's not the first time just look at the commercial walk behind they put out in the 90's.

Is it just AHM or is Japan making mistakes too?

I think alot of it has to do with Japan, the pride they have that they do nothing wrong. Admitting defeat isn't in their vocabulary.

Like the sub trans thing, we've been told repeatedly that it isn't a defect, it's a customer issue. But then why did you redesign 2 pieces and alert us to the fact we should be replacing these pieces if we do rebuilds? I understand that you don't want a Product Update due to the shear amount of money that would cost, but maybe atleast offer them for free to customers who have issues, or cover labor maybe?

The LV steering angle sensor is a disaster for us as well, everyone I've replaced has had water inside the hosuing a d the connector is corroded. Ofcourse they blame customers for water intrusion, but I doubt anyone around us is up that high in water, you'd be over the seat cushion and the shifter almost. But when you buy HPP, and our DBM tells us to go pound sand, you cancel your HPP, get a prorated refund and we lose money. But if you talk to certain people in the system, they don't even know that situation is on going.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
think alot of it has to do with Japan, the pride they have that they do nothing wrong. Admitting defeat isn't in their vocabulary.
Ain't that the truth!
Look at WWii

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think alot of it has to do with Japan, the pride they have that they do nothing wrong. Admitting defeat isn't in their vocabulary.

Like the sub trans thing, we've been told repeatedly that it isn't a defect, it's a customer issue. But then why did you redesign 2 pieces and alert us to the fact we should be replacing these pieces if we do rebuilds? I understand that you don't want a Product Update due to the shear amount of money that would cost, but maybe atleast offer them for free to customers who have issues, or cover labor maybe?

The LV steering angle sensor is a disaster for us as well, everyone I've replaced has had water inside the hosuing a d the connector is corroded. Ofcourse they blame customers for water intrusion, but I doubt anyone around us is up that high in water, you'd be over the seat cushion and the shifter almost. But when you buy HPP, and our DBM tells us to go pound sand, you cancel your HPP, get a prorated refund and we lose money. But if you talk to certain people in the system, they don't even know that situation is on going.
Occasionally we ran into design failures on the GX series engines. And if we had the nerve to suggest a quick fix, Japan would get their nuts in a bunch and do something elaborate and completely unnecessary, because we suggested it. It was a very strange relationship.

• Wow
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
To be honest though, I think they were much nicer to us GP engine guys than they were to the PE guys.

The PE guys were like the red headed step children of Honda.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh god I hope not. Ol lady mows I don’t so cant put that one me lol. But I haven’t had to winterize/de winterize, go get gas and mix or any maintenance so I ain’t b****ing.
My wife wanted an electric car but I was able to talk her off of that ledge. There is no public charging stations in this area, plus,regardless what the liberals say, the batteries are mostly Chinese.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!