BOX1

BRed correct oil for big red.

L

lazer50

Sep 24, 2016
central indiana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hey guys my name is lance! Ill try to make this brief.bought 2009 big red from nephew 600 miles well taken care of.he lost manuals so i changed oil with conventional oil.noticed intermittent slip going in gear cold so i got on forum.learned the whole wet clutch j a s o ma type stuff and understand.but some seemed to have trouble with wrong weight (oil pump)(clutch slip)or both?i doubt i did harm as no more than an hour use.i had trouble with this page loading it kept kicking off.in mean time im on bob the oil guy (power sports forum)asking about oil advice.so i run in town i find several brands 4t 10w40? And lucas full synthetic 10w30 j a s o ma 2?one guy said dont use lucas,no one said yay or nay synthetic,and very vague about what weight.i have a power sports shop opens at 430 i can check there.i have correct filter for change.i want to change oil and use honda! But not do any damage.so i finally got page to load so figured i could get some good advice here.btw mostall the oil i found is synthetic if i use should i buy flush and run before oil change to wash cconventional oil? Not worry? Thank you in advance!

L

lazer50

Sep 24, 2016
central indiana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Quick note. Is weight that critical? If so i found lucas.is lucas junk?use synthetic or dont?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I run Honda full synthetic. Works great and smoothes out shifting. If you do a complete drain I wouldn't worry about flushing out the old. Clutch slipping will be vastly reduced with full synthetic although will still happen on a cold engine/tranny. Best thing is to let her warm up good when it's cold out. By the way Honda full synthetic is about $10 a quart which is ridiculous but I guess you get what you pay for

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh and I run 10w30. Seems to be the Jack of all trades oil weight

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Honda GN4 10W-30 is what I'd put in it.

L

lazer50

Sep 24, 2016
central indiana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Thanks fellas! Honda shop 2 hour drive but power sports shop is open this mornijg. Ill see if they have somethijg.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Lately I've just been ordering oil and stuff off of Rocky mountain atv. Way more convenient to have it delivered to your door, just have to remember to keep it stocked up!

gnedinok

gnedinok

Oct 5, 2016
Wellston, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
No $10.00 qt oil for me! As a young man I worked at an oil distributor filling 1 gallon jugs to 55 gallon drums with MANY different name brands on these containers, from the same vat, same weight mind you. Very well known brands. I am a stickler for maintenance! I have a log book for everything from chain saws to a 15 yr old weedeater, 07 Hustler mower (575 hrs), Kubota tractor (diesel), 96 F250 (178,000 mi), you name it. Had a 1985 Honda 1100 Shadow (1st yr for the 1100) with 65,000 on the clock when I sold it and now have a 1999 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer with 35,000 on the clock and have run both O'Riley's house brand 10-30 and or Trop Arctic synthetic blend 10-30 in both bikes, cars, trucks and equipment. 99 Dodge truck had 180,000 when I sold it, same oils. Wife's Acura RSX/Honda had 189,000 when I sold it, same brand oil (5-30). Oil changes at 3000-3500 every time, can't buy the mfg recommendation of 5000 on anything except diesels (Rotella). I used the TA in the Big Red when I got it home and will continue to use it. Oops, didn't mean to ramble:eek:. Later, G

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!