P1000 Could use a little help on picking up a gun rack....

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been going over options on what to do for carrying a rifle and shot gun I ordered one for overhead and sent it back (quick draw overhead model) didn't look stout enough for where I elk hunt. Any suggestions I was thinking on the Siezmick two gun holder that fits on the seat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VSLQ68/?tag=sxsweb24-20)

but then see that it has issues with a three point seat belt in the middle (meaning you to remove the bolt)

Thanks for any suggestions or experience with those that have gun transports.....

Happy trails

Happy trails

Sep 12, 2021
Peoria arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the great day overhead on my last side by side. Had an issue with it marring my rifle stocks. Called the manufacturer and they sent me a new one with additional rubber covers on the top of the c clamp where the rifles were rubbing against metal prior. Exceptional customer service, their warranty is real. I hunt in AZ and never had a problem wheeling with the rifles up there. They stay put. I too am looking for a rack for my 1000-5 and think I will go with an overhead again, probably seizmik. I like the c clamps on this one, they appear to offer more grip and I see no metal in or around the clamp. I also like that the strap is rubber and not velcro. I will mount mine in the back and might get another later for the front if needed.

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Seizmik Overhead and love it. It will hold to scoped long rifles with no problem. Only think I dis like about it is you have to extend it pretty much all the way out and it gets a little flimsy towards the end of the extension. Its nothing overly bad, jsut something that could be approved on. If you were to go with the Seizmek, I would suggest to put lock tight on all of the screws. I did find that they were a little loose upon delivery.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted this to the top just under my roof, doesn’t block rear passenger views even, holds 2 rifles and a few pistols plus accessories, perfect fit in the 1000-5 and great price. I’ll try to remember to get some pictures, also stays in place while trailering, mine has 1600 miles on it now.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted this to the top just under my roof, doesn’t block rear passenger views even, holds 2 rifles and a few pistols plus accessories, perfect fit in the 1000-5 and great price. I’ll try to remember to get some pictures, also stays in place while trailering, mine has 1600 miles on it now.

I got that same case, haven't been able to figure out the best way to mount it, can you post a picture? I've mounted it, in what you might call "the mid panel position" and not real happy with the result......

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't know which Seizmik that you went with but I have the on seat model and love it.

B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is mounted overhead when I ordered it I was concerned about blocking my mirror, it doesn’t. I just took the SXS on its initial outing with my hunting partner “my dog” he seemed content. Coming off a Rincon to this is going take some getting used too and the rattling is atrocious.
It was very dry and dusty where I road and thought it odd how the front of the machine still looks clean but from the dash on back looks well used.
Back to the Seizmic it works great!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry this took so long, just snapped a few.

058F043F 0A28 4B3C ABD7 69320CE9DCA7
B544879D 14D7 4994 8BB7 B1F5414FCA1D

Reactions: Rayger143
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you remove the 2 center pals mounted pockets.

2BDB37A3 10E1 49D1 B828 F8E7B81D9771

I personally will not remove the case, it will be permanently mounted since it is handy storage and doesn’t mess with anyones sight lines.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Seismek overhead rack which seemed like a well engineered good idea when I bought it. I pretty much never use it because:

1) Dust. In AZ we have dust. Did I mention dust? Haven't figured a way out to keep the guns from just getting totally coated with dust (unless hunting up north when it has snowed or rained). The windshield makes this dust issue worse. Obviously this is not a Seismek problem, just my operating environment.​
2) Clamp design. I run my rifles with both scopes and bipods. There's no way to clamp around the larger circumferences presented by the scope and bipod. If I had a bare portion of stock forward of the scope but behind the bipod I could make it work but generally speaking, I can't. If I clamp on the barrel alone, well, I just don't want to do that. I do think Seismek could come up with a better answer here. Maybe different inserts or something.​

So we end up putting the rifles in enclosed soft cases in the back. Cases get completely dusted over but the gun is clean when we need it.

Last edited:
Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The Big Sky overhead rack has worked perfect for me. Been in some serious chukar country and never had the mount or gun come loose. Didn't have to drill into anything, either.

GROR

GROR

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 15, 2021
Castle Dale, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the Big Sky overhead rack, after 16 days hunting deer and elk I have one comment, this thing is built rock solid. I would highly recommend this product. Easy installation and perfect fit.

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got the chance to test out my Seizmik gun rack this weekend during Kentucky Muzzle loader season. I really like it so far. It is way more sloid than I originally thought. Only issue I had, is my muzzle loader has a thumb hole stock and it's kinda hard to get locked in. Not Seizmiks fault and by the end of the weekend I got use to it and it was fine.

20211010 160406

Reactions: Lady01
B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regarding the dust problem that JiminAZ mentioned above I going to give a dust sock that I bought for my rifle a try here and couple weeks. I don't really consider it a gun holder problem but more of a Honda and others side by side dust problem. I know the sock will slow down the disengagement of the rifle some but I can't really recall when I could of of should of taken a decent/safe shot when getting in or out of my vehicle in a rush be it the Rincon or my pickup.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Big Sky overhead rack has worked perfect for me. Been in some serious chukar country and never had the mount or gun come loose. Didn't have to drill into anything, either.

I purchased the Big Sky overhead rack, after 16 days hunting deer and elk I have one comment, this thing is built rock solid. I would highly recommend this product. Easy installation and perfect fit.
I agree. During turkey season I will have a Remington sp10 and 1187 up there and I've never had an issue. Both heavy guns.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Regarding the dust problem that JiminAZ mentioned above I going to give a dust sock that I bought for my rifle a try here and couple weeks. I don't really consider it a gun holder problem but more of a Honda and others side by side dust problem. I know the sock will slow down the disengagement of the rifle some but I can't really recall when I could of of should of taken a decent/safe shot when getting in or out of my vehicle in a rush be it the Rincon or my pickup.
Gun sock is a must. I found that out after the first trip with a gun in my overhead gun rack.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!