Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
1st when in I4wd does the front tires have power on them when rear tires are not spinning? Reason I ask my Maverick with 2# more air pressure in the front tires and in 4wd would turn sharper than in 2wd. Can Am racer back when it was new in 2014 said to do this. I have not tried to put more air in the Talon's front tires as I figure it will mess with the traction control.

2nd how much is the front hubs more forward on the R vs the X? I ask cause we know the X has one more tooth on the pinion gear than the R to turn sharper. I see alot of guys running plus 1.5" forward A arms on the X. So can one get by running the X pinion gear on the R or does the R need "X" amount of a negative A arm to use the X's pinion gear? Also a little shorter wheelbase would help the R turn sharper.

Both these questions are about making my R turn a little tighter. I tested my dad's 12 Commander vs my 14 Mav vs my 20 Talon. I made a turn with the Commander not spinning the tires, my Maverick's inside set of tires was between the Commanders tracks. But the inside of the Talon's was clear outside of the Maverick's outside tracks. I am thinking if I make the rear an inch to inch and half narrower, run more air pressure in the front tires in 4wd (not on hard surface) and use the X pinion gear I would be closer to the Mavericks turning radius or atleast closer to the X.

Reactions: TxDoc and toddvdh
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
1st when in I4wd does the front tires have power on them when rear tires are not spinning? Reason I ask my Maverick with 2# more air pressure in the front tires and in 4wd would turn sharper than in 2wd. Can Am racer back when it was new in 2014 said to do this. I have not tried to put more air in the Talon's front tires as I figure it will mess with the traction control.

2nd how much is the front hubs more forward on the R vs the X? I ask cause we know the X has one more tooth on the pinion gear than the R to turn sharper. I see alot of guys running plus 1.5" forward A arms on the X. So can one get by running the X pinion gear on the R or does the R need "X" amount of a negative A arm to use the X's pinion gear? Also a little shorter wheelbase would help the R turn sharper.

Both these questions are about making my R turn a little tighter. I tested my dad's 12 Commander vs my 14 Mav vs my 20 Talon. I made a turn with the Commander not spinning the tires, my Maverick's inside set of tires was between the Commanders tracks. But the inside of the Talon's was clear outside of the Maverick's outside tracks. I am thinking if I make the rear an inch to inch and half narrower, run more air pressure in the front tires in 4wd (not on hard surface) and use the X pinion gear I would be closer to the Mavericks turning radius or atleast closer to the X.
I doubt the pinion gear has everything to do with turning radius. The 1000R vs the 1000X is approximately 5" wider, 5" longer wheelbase, and 5" longer suspension travel. Since the travel is longer in the front the steering in more restricted via steering stops on A arms to prevent CV binding at full lock full droop situations. Combine that with longer wheelbase you get the larger turning radius.

Having a locked rear differential also increases turning radius.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

1-Front and rear are tied together when in i4WD. Front tires spin a little slower because the front diff is geared slightly lower. Adding a little more pressure in front will not hurt anything. i4WD only has fits when one of the front tires spins slower than the other front tire.

2-The R front hub is about 1.5 to 2" further forward. The X does not have one more tooth, the rack internal parts are identical. It is the housing that causes the R to have less turning angle. The R housing is wider and the inner tie rod ends "stop" on the housing.

There is an entire thread about putting an X rack in an R and it has been done. There is a little leeway in the CV angle but not much. If you put an X rack in an R and your steering is not exactly centered and/or you are toed out at all, you will start to run into CV binding at certain suspension compression/droop...

Reactions: Bigshow and CID
H

HondaTech

Like @PaulF said, the rack body is physically longer, side to side to limit the steering of the R. Everything else internally is the same, we actually machined down an R rack for our race car before RaceCo had their racks available to make it X narrow.

The front diff gets power from the 4wd clutch behind the diff, so if the rear isnt moving the front wont either. The front is dead until the engine turns the driveshaft.

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thank you all for your reply's.
Paul F-I thought I had read back in 2019 that the X pinion was a different part # and the difference was one tooth. I will check out that link and thank you for the other info.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!