Cows on the trails?!?

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is a lot of Nat Forest and BLM land around here, and meeting the occasional cow or three while on the trails isn't that unusual or eventful. The other day I came to a closed gate across a new trail, I opened it, rode through, closed it, and motored on. I soon realized I was now effectively locked into a temp pasture with a largish herd. While those off the trail just looked at me, those on the trail mooooved (sorry, couldn't resist!) along when I got near and revved the engine. I got to the gate on the other side without incident and went on my way.

My question is, is there a time of year or situation where the calm bovines staring passively at me as I pass by could turn dangerous?

(For those unfamiliar with how this works, I'm not trespassing through some rancher's fields, this is multi-use public land.)

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Reminds mo of a time, years ago, a friend and I were riding our Honda 250 trail bikes through back roads and trails, and ended up in a field with horses. We skirted the horses and came upon a barb wire fence that we had to lay our bikes down and drag them under. As we finished pulling my bike under the fence (not an easy chore), we stood up and there was the rancher there with a shotgun pointed at us. I almost sh.t a brick, I didn't see him approach us. He had been having trouble with kids on dirtbikes chasing his horses and thought he had finally caught them!!! Took some talking to get out of that one.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mingle with cows all the time out west, and I've never had a problem, but I usually give them plenty of room (if possible) and move slowly to appear less threatening.
As opposed to some asshats in RZR's chasing the poor, dumb critters. I'd like to see them try that with some of the alpha bulls running around out here.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In Colorado we had to drive past a big old bull with balls the size of 30" tires. He didn't care 1 bit @JTW stopped next to him and messed around but still no charge. What gives?

J

JTW

In Colorado we had to drive past a big old bull with balls the size of 30" tires. He didn't care 1 bit @JTW stopped next to him and messed around but still no charge. What gives?
70221A38 27AE 4C8A BD04 169F46B40584

NielsC

NielsC

Nov 28, 2019
Prescott, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For cattle it would be a rare exception that one would charge you unless you corner them. Buffalo are another matter. I used to work with them through BLM and Forest Service. At the ranch we had a holding facility there were half a dozen smashed jeeps from Buffalo encounters. They can be twice the size of cattle with a very small brain. Always give Buffalo a wide berth. They are wild animals.

Reactions: JTW
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good info all, thanks!

DavidBear

DavidBear

Feb 8, 2018
Delta Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI - Colorado is a fence out/open range state (as is the case in many western states), that means that cows or any animal that grazes and is meant for human consumption, always have the right of way ( 2 notable exceptions are The parts of the I-25 corridor and parts of I-70).

Sooo.. Don’t harass them by honking, blow horns or yelling etc. They have the ‘higher’ right to be there and will move out of your way in good time. Unfortunately, buffalo fall into that same category and may attack with or without warning… In the case of buffalo Honking etc. will just piss them off.

Most Bulls only really care about you if you get between them and a cow during mating season. Although some are just mean.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Found some more info that should help any others curious about cows . . .

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For cattle it would be a rare exception that one would charge you unless you corner them. Buffalo are another matter. I used to work with them through BLM and Forest Service. At the ranch we had a holding facility there were half a dozen smashed jeeps from Buffalo encounters. They can be twice the size of cattle with a very small brain. Always give Buffalo a wide berth. They are wild animals.

they also don’t close their eyes when they head butt you either.

Some family friends raise Buffalo...Ive heard stories from them that occasionally someone has to get rescued from the badass bale feeder with a tractor loader.

• Haha
Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There is a lot of Nat Forest and BLM land around here, and meeting the occasional cow or three while on the trails isn't that unusual or eventful. The other day I came to a closed gate across a new trail, I opened it, rode through, closed it, and motored on. I soon realized I was now effectively locked into a temp pasture with a largish herd. While those off the trail just looked at me, those on the trail mooooved (sorry, couldn't resist!) along when I got near and revved the engine. I got to the gate on the other side without incident and went on my way.

My question is, is there a time of year or situation where the calm bovines staring passively at me as I pass by could turn dangerous?

(For those unfamiliar with how this works, I'm not trespassing through some rancher's fields, this is multi-use public land.)
I raise cattle on my Oklahoma ranch and have never had a problem with cow or bull getting out of my way on the sxs.

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!