P700 Custom Spare Rack

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey all, I wanted to offer up my take on a rear mount and get your opinions on the mounting. I wanted a swing out rear mount for my tire, jack, shovel and all the trail stuff that I could remove for working at home. What I am curious about is where I chose to mount it. I used the bolts for the rear roll cage on both sides to anchor the angle iron. My concern is that the passengers side is sticking up too far above the bolts and not anchored. I had though about using a barrel not on the top end, or possible even just welding it, but I have concerns about changing or weakening the roll cage. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
IMG 0429 IMG 0431 IMG 0432 IMG 0433 IMG 0435

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The roll cage is high strength steel so any welding will weaken it. Any hole same thing. What I would suggest if you do weld it put a small hole on each side and spray expanding foam up into that area well and clean the hole after it dries. Same thing for a bolt hole spray in first then the bolt. It will combat rust as well. Sounds cheesy I know but it will bring the strength back and then some.

Last edited:
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks, I believe I will hold off any welding or drilling. I guess I need to find out of the mount I have is strong enough as it is. Your thoughts then? There will not be much more that is heavy going on and its secured both ends when moving.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly it looks strong enough But if worried a bolt wouldn't hurt to tighten it up a bit. Possibly some double back stick tape to just cushion it so if it did vibrate it wouldn't mar your finish. That's not a bad design coming off the ROPS like that. I'd run it and see what you've got before anything more drastic

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Even a u-bolt up top with a backing plate would be great

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nice. that seems simple enough.

Ya, passenger side has me a little worried. But depends on what type of riding you do.
Seeing you can weld, I would look at these. - Amazon.com: STV Motorsports® Steel Clamp 1.75" (1 3/4") Universal Roll Cage Tube Mount Weldable (2): Automotive.
They are 1.75 which is a tad big. To fix you just need a slice of inner tube rubber as a spacer. It also works to reduce vibration and damage to the ROPS.
Those are great looking mounts!

Reactions: Hondasxs
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice. that seems simple enough.

Ya, passenger side has me a little worried. But depends on what type of riding you do.
Seeing you can weld, I would look at these. - Amazon.com: STV Motorsports® Steel Clamp 1.75" (1 3/4") Universal Roll Cage Tube Mount Weldable (2): Automotive.
They are 1.75 which is a tad big. To fix you just need a slice of inner tube rubber as a spacer. It also works to reduce vibration and damage to the ROPS.
Thanks for the link, those look perfect!! I think I will order a couple.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's a great price for two. I made some and I figured they cost around $16 a piece to build. So if you're getting two for $45 that's great!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
The rack looks to be in the right spot.Not to high and off to side...looks lighter than any I have seen made and better location for tire....Nive work.

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey all, I wanted to offer up my take on a rear mount and get your opinions on the mounting. I wanted a swing out rear mount for my tire, jack, shovel and all the trail stuff that I could remove for working at home. What I am curious about is where I chose to mount it. I used the bolts for the rear roll cage on both sides to anchor the angle iron. My concern is that the passengers side is sticking up too far above the bolts and not anchored. I had though about using a barrel not on the top end, or possible even just welding it, but I have concerns about changing or weakening the roll cage. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 17202 View attachment 17203 View attachment 17204 View attachment 17205 View attachment 17206

Here is a link to what I did.
Swing away tire carrier
You may try the bar clamps I used and you can weld your upper end to that. Mine is completely removable and I did not weld anything to the roll cage. Its also rock solid. Never had a problem, and have even left it open on accident several times for miles with no damage. I like your lower location for visibility. Did mine higher to be kind of a door to hold in a full bed of hunting gear, but visibility while backing is crap. Then again if I have the kids in the back or a full bed visibility is crap still.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here is a link to what I did.
Swing away tire carrier
You may try the bar clamps I used and you can weld your upper end to that. Mine is completely removable and I did not weld anything to the roll cage. Its also rock solid. Never had a problem, and have even left it open on accident several times for miles with no damage. I like your lower location for visibility. Did mine higher to be kind of a door to hold in a full bed of hunting gear, but visibility while backing is crap. Then again if I have the kids in the back or a full bed visibility is crap still.
I had looked at your design a bit and I will admit it was part of the reason I did mine. Low was important not only for disability but weight. I like your clamp set up, are those the 1 1/2 clamps or 1 3/4?

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had looked at your design a bit and I will admit it was part of the reason I did mine. Low was important not only for disability but weight. I like your clamp set up, are those the 1 1/2 clamps or 1 3/4?
They are 1 3/4 with a 1/16 strip of rubber around the bar.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!