Multi cutting aluminum

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
So I recently acquired this sheet of 1/4" dp aluminum 4'x78". I want to cut it down to size, in the past I would attack it with a saws all which works but is hard to get a good straight cut. I have a 4 1/2" grinder w/cut off wheels, circular saw and as I already mentioned the saws all. I was wondering what everyone else would use, I thought about a circular saw with a plywood blade in it (only because I haven't tried it yet), I know a carbide tip blade is not real fond of 1/8" aluminum so I'm sure 1/4" would be certain death for the blade. Looking for some good suggestions for a good clean cut hopefully. TIA
20170411 161233 zps6213szm7

Reactions: swsebek
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I recently acquired this sheet of 1/4" dp aluminum 4'x78". I want to cut it down to size, in the past I would attack it with a saws all which works but is hard to get a good straight cut. I have a 4 1/2" grinder w/cut off wheels, circular saw and as I already mentioned the saws all. I was wondering what everyone else would use, I thought about a circular saw with a plywood blade in it (only because I haven't tried it yet), I know a carbide tip blade is not real fond of 1/8" aluminum so I'm sure 1/4" would be certain death for the blade. Looking for some good suggestions for a good clean cut hopefully. TIA
View attachment 40152

Mark it up and take it to a fab shop and have it sheared. They want charge you much to cut it.

Reactions: ohanacreek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
if you want to do your self.I would lay a piece of steel beside it as a guide and c clamp it then use a cut off grinder wheel and run along side the steel.Take your time the aluminum will get hot a gald up the blade.You can also cut halfway through it and finish with sawzall.The sawzall will stay in the cut and then you can touch up the end with sanding disc......Im not much for asking shops to do what I can do myself..

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if you want to do your self.I would lay a piece of steel beside it as a guide and c clamp it then use a cut off grinder wheel and run along side the steel.Take your time the aluminum will get hot a gald up the blade.You can also cut halfway through it and finish with sawzall.The sawzall will stay in the cut and then you can touch up the end with sanding disc......Im not much for asking shops to do what I can do myself..

Please wear PPE and cut really slow. Blades will exploded when they get loaded up. Straight edge and a jig saw may be a better choice. Good luck!

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Plasma. Having a shop shear as suggested. If you do use your grinder they make wheels for aluminum, much safer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a plasma cutter. It will fly through it like butter and make a clean cut.

I own a hypertherm and am happy with it. At work I have a Thermal Dynamics by Victor. For the money, I actually recommend the Thermal Dynamics. Way more machine for the money in my opinion

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Skil saw with a blade for non ferrous metal. Carbide tooth with around a 0 deg rake. Fastenal or welding stores usually have them. Wax or lube for the blade. Outside of that would be shear or plasma. Would not recommend a grinding or cutoff wheel. If u need a part number on a blade message me tomorrow. All we do at work is aluminum.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm with @snuffnwhisky. Buy a blade for the skill saw.
Also, do like @swsebek said, and clamp a straight edge (guide) on it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I wish I could either pay some one or buy a plasma cutter but thats not an option for me. I normally won't pay some one to do some thing i can do myself, I have to have some thing to do other than honey do list lol. @swsebek carbide blade + 1/8" aluminum = ringing ears lol. @snuffnwhisky I didn't realize they sold specific blades, going to pick one up this week end. Thanks to all for your replies, I knew I'd get an answer I could use from some one.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm with Snuff and everyone on the skil. No matter what you use get the right blade. One for the hard metals will load up too quick and you'll have problems

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Use a carbide blade made specifically for cutting metal, on a circular saw.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've used a non ferrous carbide tipped blade on the circular saw many times but usually for .090 metal. WD-40 works pretty good for a lubricant, so I just used it and cleaned it up after the fact. Just makes sure when you start of that you enter the work piece pretty slow or there is a chance of knocking off one of the carbide tips. I do see that Lenox has come out with a new style cut off wheel that says it cuts through anything. Good luck and like everyone says, safety first.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
They do sell multi-metal blades for steel, aluminum, etc... You'll be much happier with one for nonferrous metal only. Do not cut steel with a nonferrous blade. Amazon has a bunch with good pricing. Probably go with around a 50 tooth blade. You'll want a thick blade for that heavy plate so compare thicknesses.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!