decisions....decisions

G

gearguywb

Jul 21, 2019
Kansas City
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Currently own a Kawasaki Teryx LE4. It has given us very good service with a trip to Colorado, various other playgrounds, and we use it quite often as transportation on sporting clays courses.

It is a great all around vehicle, but like anything that tires to do everything, it does not shine in one particular area.

I had been considering either a Polaris Trail and Rocks RZR or a RZR 1000 standard. Seem like really good vehicles, but frankly not a big fan of the belt issues that continually seem to crop up.

Looking at other options caused me to check out the Talon X. The Pioneer would be a decent vehicle (IMHO) but the height of the roof kills it for me as I would not be able to get it into the storage unit.

What differences (if any) are there between the Talon X, 2019 and 2020? I really like the idea of a real transmission vs CVT. Honda has always had a pretty stellar reputation for longevity.

Started some on-line shopping and it seems there are some discounts available right now on the '19's.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

BTW: located in the KC area.

Thanks!

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you should look at the x2 or 4 wolverine, belt last longer than kawi even and has the power of the 1000 pioneers, they ride nice too like the Polaris with none of the constant service issues popo has. reliability is the same as kawi on yamahas, I had a rhino forever and put one belt on it because it was starting to dryrot from age. Honda the aftermarket isn't as good as the Yamaha either and it should fit in a 6ft storage.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you should look at the x2 or 4 wolverine, belt last longer than kawi even and has the power of the 1000 pioneers, they ride nice too like the Polaris with none of the constant service issues popo has. reliability is the same as kawi on yamahas, I had a rhino forever and put one belt on it because it was starting to dryrot from age. Honda the aftermarket isn't as good as the Yamaha either and it should fit in a 6ft storage.
X2, I’ve bought two pioneers and both times I was on the fence between the Honda and the wolverine.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
pretty close machines in design, size and being primarily reliability is the biggest thing. the reason the pioneer won for me is I work it a lot and the wolverine has better trail stuff but I like the bench seats and bed for work. but for you think it would be good, and the talon and crap like that would be a bit over kill for tooling around town and easy trails. the wolverine I think will go 55 or 60 I think more with aftermarket clutches and programmers they have. really hate the cage on all the pioneers though stupid thing has always got to be in a garge size door after decent tires. mine is almost 6 and a half without the roof

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Currently own a Kawasaki Teryx LE4. It has given us very good service with a trip to Colorado, various other playgrounds, and we use it quite often as transportation on sporting clays courses.

It is a great all around vehicle, but like anything that tires to do everything, it does not shine in one particular area.

I had been considering either a Polaris Trail and Rocks RZR or a RZR 1000 standard. Seem like really good vehicles, but frankly not a big fan of the belt issues that continually seem to crop up.

Looking at other options caused me to check out the Talon X. The Pioneer would be a decent vehicle (IMHO) but the height of the roof kills it for me as I would not be able to get it into the storage unit.

What differences (if any) are there between the Talon X, 2019 and 2020? I really like the idea of a real transmission vs CVT. Honda has always had a pretty stellar reputation for longevity.

Started some on-line shopping and it seems there are some discounts available right now on the '19's.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

BTW: located in the KC area.

Thanks!
Difference?? I did not know anyone had seen the 2020 X?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I guess I’m a little different with the x4. We were in between Pioneer 1000’s and had great luck and loved the first gen Wolverine so we tested the x4 with high intentions to buy that day, had money down and everything.Actually a very tough test to it in our main riding area.
Truthfully a nice rig but it didn’t have any real draw to it for me and my wife. Was quiet smooth and all that but without paddles it lost a lot of sporty feel which was weird because we liked first gen a lot.
Got back to the dealer and he sat down with papers and wife asked did I really want to sign. We bought another Pioneer 1000-5 shortly after and been back to happy

Reactions: Mudwing and BigOL3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!