P1000 Delayed shifting after clutch update

A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2016 1000-5 with 800 miles.

Just had the clutch cover update, with a replaced clutch.

I immediately noticed how smooth take off and reverse was when loading/unloading trailer.

But.... first ride: shifts are smooth, except they are delayed! In both manual and auto, shift commences with shift solenoid click. Then there is a good 1 second delay before shift actually occurs! Click, pause, shift.

Shifts were instant before update.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: BWAF

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2016 1000-5 with 800 miles.

Just had the clutch cover update, with a replaced clutch.

I immediately noticed how smooth take off and reverse was when loading/unloading trailer.

But.... first ride: shifts are smooth, except they are delayed! In both manual and auto, shift commences with shift solenoid click. Then there is a good 1 second delay before shift actually occurs! Click, pause, shift.

Shifts were instant before update.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
It has never occured to me before now, but as I was thinking about how my machine behaves, my un-updated '16 model's click-and-shift time depends on my throttle input. If I'm heavy on acceleration, she'll click/shift instantly. If I ease into 'er, she'll click, wait a sec, then shift. Maybe you are more attuned to your tranny behaviour now that the update has been done? After you feel confident enough that your new clutches are broken in, lay into 'er pretty good. She should click/shift like you remember. (My 2 cents anyway!)

Last edited:
A

ayoung

Dec 19, 2015
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all. Maybe I posted prematurely. I also asked dealer and he said to just drive it and it should improve. Will take another good ride tomorrow.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
shifts are smooth, except they are delayed! In both manual and auto, shift commences with shift solenoid click. Then there is a good 1 second delay before shift actually occurs! Click, pause, shift.

I think that is the nature of the dual clutch transmission.
There are in effect two transmissions in the box.
One clutch will disengage while the other one engages.
Then it guesses what gear you want next and shifts the disengaged side since it isn't doing anything.
The click is not connected to the rpm change.

J

JTW

Then it guesses what gear you want next and shifts the disengaged side since it isn't doing anything.
Pffft... what do you know!?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You had me until "The click is not connected to the RPM change".

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, thought I would update. All good, it has definitely improved. Thanks.
Glad to hear and thanks for keeping us in the loop! It helps all us viewers when people update their machine's status after an issue!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!