P1000 Did my first oil change- 2 things.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thanks for that oil change video- super helpful to include even the torques.

1. My oil changed at 92 miles of moderate use. I drove it pretty much like i intend to drive it. It seemed like a waste. The oil looked brand new and so did the filters- not even dark. Maybe I should have driven it harder...

2. I have the UHMV full skids from Trial Armor. I made quite a mess even though I drained the one tank first. At one point it was like a rain forest of oil dripping from all of the seams. My Bobcat skid steer comes with a flex hose that fits into the drain hole permanently. You pull the 8 in hose out; point it towards the drain pan- take off a cap and the out drains out. Is there anyone that sells such a braided line for pioneer? How about those guys at RB3?

Anyway, pretty happy with my buggy and pretty happy with the forum. That for all of you guys chiming in.

steve

J

JTW

On the oil change... 100 miles or your hours whichever comes last. You’re just making sure any shavings are out.

As for the oil change being a mess... there’s really not a good way to do it. I have a one piece skid I made. One of the advantages of the 3 piece skid is you can just take out the one plate. But I make a cardboard funnel to help minimize the mess, but the reality is... it’s just a terrible design for doing neatly. Particularly, when you go to change the oil filter. But if you stick a lice of thin cardboard like a coke box or I’v even split a plastic bottle. It makes life easier. Even more so if you’re doing it on a lift.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for that oil change video- super helpful to include even the torques.

1. My oil changed at 92 miles of moderate use. I drove it pretty much like i intend to drive it. It seemed like a waste. The oil looked brand new and so did the filters- not even dark. Maybe I should have driven it harder...

2. I have the UHMV full skids from Trial Armor. I made quite a mess even though I drained the one tank first. At one point it was like a rain forest of oil dripping from all of the seams. My Bobcat skid steer comes with a flex hose that fits into the drain hole permanently. You pull the 8 in hose out; point it towards the drain pan- take off a cap and the out drains out. Is there anyone that sells such a braided line for pioneer? How about those guys at RB3?

Anyway, pretty happy with my buggy and pretty happy with the forum. That for all of you guys chiming in.

steve
I like the idea of the hose connected to the drain plug. My inboard mercruiser has the same thing. When it's time to change the oil I pull the hose out the drain. Plug and put it into an old 5 gallon gas can to drain.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s messy, I have some oil absorbing pads that I slide underneath the engine/trans. It helps catch the extra so it’s not dripping from the skid for a week. JTW is right, just a poor design.

Reactions: Mudwing
D

Dasmoeturhead

1/4" Air Ratchet and a 10mm socket will zip that skid plate off in no time.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1/4" Air Ratchet and a 10mm socket will zip that skid plate off in no time.
That’s very true, but once you upgrade to a trail armor it’s a PITA to take that section off.

Reactions: steve_whiteside
K

ken1200

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2019
Elkins, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Upload 2019 12 25 11 8 34

Reactions: Mudwing
D

Dasmoeturhead

That’s very true, but once you upgrade to a trail armor it’s a PITA to take that section off.
Yeah I can see that. I actually take the entire skid plate off. I also change the sub- trans oil when I do the eng/trans oil and filters. I like spending some quality time with the Pioneer in my shop with some good tunes, and a beverage. I do a good wipe down on the under carriage. I know I am wasting oil changing the sub trans so often, but it's only like
1.27 quarts of oil.
The whole process to me is therapeutic.

I rotate the tires as well.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found the biggest mess is from the oil pan plug. At the angle it's on it shoots a bunch of oil on top of my factory skid plate. To remedy this, I just got out the good ol' Dremmel tool and made the hole in the skid plate longer and a bit wider and problem solved! Oil now drains into pan as it should not all over my skid plate to later drip on my garage floor for a week!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have this on my Ariens ztr and other small engines.

I’m curious if any one has done this on their rigs yet.

I have to put on my trail armor skid plate yet. I guess I’m changing oil too!

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!