Dipstick not seating all the way

T

TAzLON36

Aug 29, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So just picked up a 1000x4 LV, second owner first guy put 91 miles on it so I did the first service. Changed all fluids filters everything was good to go. Went for a little 3 mile cruise came back to check oil levels and now I can get the dipstick to seat all the way... Grabs a bit two threads and locks up. Threads looks a little booged, did I cross thread it somehow?

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure about the Talon but I do remember Pioneers having issues with cross threaded dipsticks. The Talon and Pioneer are probably similar.

Reactions: Isaiah
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So just picked up a 1000x4 LV, second owner first guy put 91 miles on it so I did the first service. Changed all fluids filters everything was good to go. Went for a little 3 mile cruise came back to check oil levels and now I can get the dipstick to seat all the way... Grabs a bit two threads and locks up. Threads looks a little booged, did I cross thread it somehow?

It is possible the end of the dipstick is not in the correct position, it will do exactly as described when that way. Pull it out and insert at the exact angle that it screws in.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Should tell by looking at the threads of the dipstick?

T

TAzLON36

Aug 29, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Not sure about the Talon but I do remember Pioneers having issues with cross threaded dipsticks. The Talon and Pioneer are probably similar.
Yeah, I talked to a guy at the dealer and he said same thing... had to order new dipstick. Crazy part is I didn’t put any real force into. It threaded in easy and just stopped. Granted I could have tightened it more than I thought.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's fairly common if you check them while they're warm/hot. The plastic gets a little soft. One in our group had the same issue.

Reactions: Mudwing and Isaiah
T

TAzLON36

Aug 29, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It's fairly common if you check them while they're warm/hot. The plastic gets a little soft. One in our group had the same issue.
That’s exactly what happened, checked it while it was hot... stupid mistake, figured the plastic wouldn’t soften that easy lol
New to sxs so never had to deal with that on my atvs, just plastic top on the dipstick not plastic threads.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It is possible the end of the dipstick is not in the correct position, it will do exactly as described when that way. Pull it out and insert at the exact angle that it screws in.
This has happened to me several times in my Talon. Apparently there's something 'down there' 🤔 that will tip the dipstick if you don't get it straight in. You can see that it's not straight if you look but it's easy to think all is well.

T

TAzLON36

Aug 29, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This has happened to me several times in my Talon. Apparently there's something 'down there' 🤔 that will tip the dipstick if you don't get it straight in. You can see that it's not straight if you look but it's easy to think all is well.
Yeah I can feel whatever is down there, kind of odd that they set it up that way... you’d think they would have it set with zero obstruction 🤷🏽‍♂️

advertisement
C

Cooperjames

Nov 19, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have exactly the same issue. Did you have to replace the dipstick?

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have exactly the same issue. Did you have to replace the dipstick?
They’re plastic threads, if you can get it started straight the alum case threads will fix them. The only reasons you’d have to replace it - 1. The threads are too heavily damaged. 2. It leaks.

Reactions: Smitty335
JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I cross threaded the dip stick on my Pioneer 1000. Was easy to do. I kept smelling this burning smell when I was on a long ride. like burnt wires. I would stop and check out the machine, but didn't find anything. When I got it home and was cleaning it up I found oil had leaked out between the cross threaded stick. the crankcase is pressurized, so no dirt got in, lost about half a quart. But now I am carful with those dip sticks.

B

Baja Bronco

Nov 26, 2022
Tucson Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I had the same issue. I have a 2020 Honda Talon 10004X LIVE Valve. Changed the oil, threaded the dip stick back in with no apparent problem. Went for a test drive and afterwards I attempted to check my oil level and had a tuff time trying to remove the dip stick. When I tried to reinstall the dip stick it would not go in smoothly. I checked the threads and one of the threads was split. After cleaning up the threads, I was able to get the dip stick re-seated. As mentioned above, the engine was hot when I checked my oil. I never thought this would be a problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!