It has been fun thanks for all the help-great forum but bye for now....not so fast

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Selling my P520, it just did not work out as a neighborhood vehicle and that is what I would have used it for 80% of the time.

Great deal for someone looking for or waiting for a new P520. See For Sale section.

Last edited:
C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Was it Not Allowed or just a wrong vehicle choice?
It is legal in our (large) development and local roads under 35 mph limit so that was not the issue at all. Ultimately it is the drivetrain noise that was just too annoying at anything over 20 MPH. This would not be an issue offroad, but driving along with a passenger on the street, even with some sound mitigation was just too loud. It is kind of the character of the sound not just dB. Too bad because otherwise I love it.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is legal in our (large) development and local roads under 35 mph limit so that was not the issue at all. Ultimately it is the drivetrain noise that was just too annoying at anything over 20 MPH. This would not be an issue offroad, but driving along with a passenger on the street, even with some sound mitigation was just too loud. It is kind of the character of the sound not just dB. Too bad because otherwise I love it.
That sucks. Good luck with the sale.

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Ultimately it is the drivetrain noise that was just too annoying at anything over 20 MPH. This would not be an issue offroad, but driving along with a passenger on the street, even with some sound mitigation was just too loud.
They definitely got drivetrain noise. The Quick Shield helps tremendously. I comfortably roll along about 35-38 on pavement with 27" tall tires. I almost sold mine too but glad I kept it. Great little machine around the house. Way better than an ATV. Good luck.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
They definitely got drivetrain noise. The Quick Shield helps tremendously. I comfortably roll along about 35-38 on pavement with 27" tall tires. I almost sold mine too but glad I kept it. Great little machine around the house. Way better than an ATV. Good luck.
Yeah I might try doubling up on the quickshield as it did help. Just all those straight cut gears (primary and differential) really whine by their nature, and not a whole lot I can do about it.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah I might try doubling up on the quickshield as it did help. Just all those straight cut gears (primary and differential) really whine by their nature, and not a whole lot I can do about it.
Some people have put thicker oil in their gearboxes and claim quieter operation. Maybe give that a shot along with the extra quickshield as a last ditch effort. Or a nice stereo.....

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
We drive a golf cart around the neighborhood when we want low noise for grandma or neighbors. My BIL/SIL just bought a street legal cart - they drive that thing all over town on <= 35 MPH roads.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
We drive a golf cart around the neighborhood when we want low noise for grandma or neighbors. My BIL/SIL just bought a street legal cart - they drive that thing all over town on <= 35 MPH roads.
Yes there are tons of golf carts around here (mainly because of the 3 golf courses, but also just for trips to the market, etc). Just never really found one that I liked. Most likely going to put together a dual sport motorcycle with a sidecar. Possibly just put turn signals on my old Ford 8N tractor and a box for the dogs behind the seat LOL.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
They are noisey little phuckers ain't they? If you decide to keep it I can walk you through doing a final shaft gear mod, it doesn't help with the whine but does "gear up" the transmission across the board so you can cruise at a decent speed without it screaming it's guts out.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are noisey little phuckers ain't they? If you decide to keep it I can walk you through doing a final shaft gear mod, it doesn't help with the whine but does "gear up" the transmission across the board so you can cruise at a decent speed without it screaming it's guts out.
How about that talon motor swap 🤔😉🤘😎🤣

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
So not so fast regarding leaving I guess. I tried one more thing to address the rear differential gear noise. Kind of thought this was a pointless exercise, but I gave it a try. I had leftover sound dampening material, and basically wrapped the rear "differential" with it. Surprisingly it made a huge difference. All the way up to a steady cruise at 40 mph. I can kind of hear the gear noise but it is muted and doesn't have the annoying wavering intermittent "ring" to it. On or off throttle.

Although the temperature over 3 miles only got up to 110 degF (90 ambient) it is obviously not a long term solution to wrap it as no doubt the temperature would steadily increase. My plan now is to build a shroud around it with sound dampening material covering inside or outside or both, and then have a baffled inlet and outlet with a 12V fan to blow air through it.

Other conclusion is that the nasty gear noise is almost all from the rear, with the primary drive not making any significant noise as far as I can tell.

Cheers!
IMG 9295

Last edited:
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So not so fast regarding leaving I guess. I tried one more thing to address the rear differential gear noise. Kind of thought this was a pointless exercise, but I gave it a try. I had leftover sound dampening material, and basically wrapped the rear "differential" with it. Surprisingly it made a huge difference. All the way up to a steady cruise at 40 mph. I can kind of hear the gear noise but it is muted and doesn't have the annoying wavering intermittent "ring" to it. On or off throttle.

Although the temperature over 3 miles only got up to 110 degF (90 ambient) it is obviously not a long term solution to wrap it as no doubt the temperature would steadily increase. My plan now is to build a shroud around it with sound dampening material covering inside or outside or both, and then have a baffled inlet and outlet with a 12V fan to blow air through it.

Other conclusion is that the nasty gear noise is almost all from the rear, with the primary drive not making any significant noise as far as I can tell.

Cheers!View attachment 402687
You are so easily persuaded.......JK
Glad you decided to give it some more effort to solve the noise issue. 👍👍
Maybe you're on to something and can become the forum's next vendor.
The next gen SHh AWD......

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!