DIRTY AIR, KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR ENGINE

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMG 7762
I think the least expensive way to handle the really poorly designed Honda intake and filter design is a snorkel and filter. You can also opt for a pre-filter such as KWT or S&B. I have seen some people using a Uni filter on the pipe where it enters the plenum right before the filter.

I have been beta testing the KWT pre-filter first on my RZR 1000, now on my 2020 Honda Talon R. In December KWT gave me a pre-production version 2, the X2 KWT pre filter to test. So I have one filter with over 600 miles on it , 300 with version 1 and 300 with version X2. I thought I need to get a test with a new filter and see how X2 does on its own. So below is a video of the results of a 122.6 mile dusty ride southeast of Parker, Az. I will also post a photo of the 600+ mile filter with the combined test. I easily could have kept running that filter and check it again at 1200 miles.

One last thought. Many folks can't because they have rear windows, or just don't want to mount the prefilter high or even above the roof (the least dirty air), for a variety of reasons. I wanted mine out of the way, so I mounted it facing backwards and low, behind the passenger seat not to block my rear view. This is not the optimal place to mount it and get out of the vortex of dirt pulled in from behind your Talon. So unless S&B or other methods are mounted low and in that area, you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Take a look:

The top photo the latest test 122.6 miles with Version X2.

The lower photo 600+ miles half on version 1 and half on version X2
122.6 miles KWT X2

600+ miles 300 miles on version 1 and 300 miles on KWT X2

IMG 8095 IMG 7969

Last edited:
G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 190193I think the least expensive way to handle the really poorly designed Honda intake and filter design is a snorkel and filter. You can also opt for a pre-filter such as KWT or S&B. I have seen some people using a Uni filter on the pipe where it enters the plenum right before the filter.

I have been beta testing the KWT pre-filter first on my RZR 1000, now on my 2020 Honda Talon R. In December KWT gave me a pre-production version 2, the X2 KWT pre filter to test. So I have one filter with over 600 miles on it , 300 with version 1 and 300 with version X2. I thought I need to get a test with a new filter and see how X2 does on its own. So below is a video of the results of a 122.6 mile dusty ride southeast of Parker, Az. I will also post a photo of the 600+ mile filter with the combined test. I easily could have kept running that filter and check it again at 1200 miles.

One last thought. Many folks can't because they have rear windows, or just don't want to mount the prefilter high or even above the roof (the least dirty air), for a variety of reasons. I wanted mine out of the way, so I mounted it facing backwards and low, behind the passenger seat not to block my rear view. This is not the optimal place to mount it and get out of the vortex of dirt pulled in from behind your Talon. So unless S&B or other methods are mounted low and in that area, you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Take a look:

The top photo the latest test 122.6 miles with Version X2.

The lower photo 600+ miles half on version 1 and half on version X2
122.6 miles KWT X2

600+ miles 300 miles on version 1 and 300 miles on KWT X2

View attachment 190194 View attachment 190195
I see ur air foil on the back. Does it help
much with cleaning up the air in the back of the Talon?

G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dave another question. I have the live valve talon with a Honda soft back window. See the clamps you use come off the bottom
Support of roll bar. That wouldn’t work with the Honda soft window. Did I see an earlier pic of you hanging the particle separator off the left hand roll bar further back? Does the kit supply any other options for mounting? I will say the version 2 looks better in that it has a lot bigger collection area than the version one. Thx

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes it works great. I want to do some testing with it and make a video on what I find. It is a game changer when you want to close the front flip up windshield. When I get the details I'll post about it. I wish I had known about it when I had a RZR. It is probably something most of the Talon community would benefit from, especially if they have front windshields.

Last edited:
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dave another question. I have the live valve talon with a Honda soft back window. See the clamps you use come off the bottom
Support of roll bar. That wouldn’t work with the Honda soft window. Did I see an earlier pic of you hanging the particle separator off the left hand roll bar further back? Does the kit supply any other options for mounting? I will say the version 2 looks better in that it has a lot bigger collection area than the version one. Thx
I did move the KWT to the side bars and it actually works better there, it is more out of the dirt from the rear of the car.if you have a rear window that would be the spot! You will need 2" clamps for that location, so if you move ahead, tell KWT that's what you need.

I am jealous, I really want the live valve, how is it working for you?

G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did move the KWT to the side bars and it actually works better there, it is more out of the dirt from the rear of the car.if you have a rear window that would be the spot! You will need 2" clamps for that location, so if you move ahead, tell KWT that's what you need.

I am jealous, I really want the live valve, how is it working for you?
Thx for the reply. Really like the live valve. I’ll post pics when she’s all set up. Waiting for dirt road fabrications bed extender set up to arrive. Who knows in these times how long that might be!

Reactions: HavasuDave
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Excited to tease the Honda SXS club forum members that we are building a prototype solution for the Talon dirty air box/filter problem. In the very early stages of development now but we think we have a more cost effective air pre cleaner solution for the Talon, and possibly P1000 and RZR 900/S as well. Will provide more information later as development and testing progresses. No dates yet but we are working diligently toward production of a quality product.
-Brian
IMG 2140

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Excited to tease the Honda SXS club forum members that we are building a prototype solution for the Talon dirty air box/filter problem. In the very early stages of development now but we think we have a more cost effective air pre cleaner solution for the Talon, and possibly P1000 and RZR 900/S as well. Will provide more information later as development and testing progresses. No dates yet but we are working diligently toward production of a quality product.
-Brian
View attachment 207929

Looking forward to more aftermarket support of our machines. 👍

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Yes, sir. Since I bought my Talon in Jan. of 2020, I've been learning about it. The conversations in this forum are also valuable. I've learned by my enormous sales volume that R2C is the ONLY aftermarket air filter available for the Talon so far. There are still so few products available for Talon as of yet, but my air filter sales show that the demand is there. I've always wanted to develop a product that would solve a specific problem and now I think I'm finally on may way. Seems like writing songs from what I've read; get one done and the flood gates of ideas open. At least that's what I'm hoping happens.

My years of riding experience is helpful to studying these machines, realizing where the factory designs fall short, then figuring out a viable solution to those shortfalls. I'm excited!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!