Disappointing trip to Wolf Pen

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after doing some searching and finding no info, I took my family for a fall trip to Wolf Pen (11 / 7-10) and much to our dismay, found the trails to be closed 11-1 through 3-1 for "resource protection" except for brief openings around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Only the east trailhead board had a closed notice but all of the trail gates were closed. Road 1 which is the north south road is open but nothing else internally. We were able to go to the old shale mine and that loop. We made the best of the situation by running backroads and going to the old radio tower site. Just a word of warning to anyone planning a trip there. None of the campgrounds note the closure on their sites but on our return, I found it on the USDA Forest Service page which hadn't showed up in my pre trip searching. Just a word of warning to those planning a trip there now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
So after doing some searching and finding no info, I took my family for a fall trip to Wolf Pen (11 / 7-10) and much to our dismay, found the trails to be closed 11-1 through 3-1 for "resource protection" except for brief openings around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Only the east trailhead board had a closed notice but all of the trail gates were closed. Road 1 which is the north south road is open but nothing else internally. We were able to go to the old shale mine and that loop. We made the best of the situation by running backroads and going to the old radio tower site. Just a word of warning to anyone planning a trip there. None of the campgrounds note the closure on their sites but on our return, I found it on the USDA Forest Service page which hadn't showed up in my pre trip searching. Just a word of warning to those planning a trip there now.
That sucks, you still need to give Mack’s Pines a go and the Bear Creek ride is a perfect family event. You really would enjoy it…

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We definitely plan to go try Mack's but it was a little further than we wanted to drive for a quick late fall trip. We first met you and several Silverton attendees at Bear Creek in '19.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
We definitely plan to go try Mack's but it was a little further than we wanted to drive for a quick late fall trip. We first met you and several Silverton attendees at Bear Creek in '19.
Oh yeah that’s right, I had forgotten about that. Well, maybe you can make it back for another of the annual Bear Creek rides….

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Wolfpen has special opening dates for thanksgiving (and Christmas I think). we will be there a few days next week. You can always go to Fourche Mountain north of Mena. Good trails there but not many miles.

We are only going to Wolfpen because it's a quick trip. The trail there have been dumbed down to interstate trails since we started going in 1998.

Reactions: Smitty335
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We had also taken it as quick spur of the moment last of the season and fall colors trip. Years ago, Wolfpen was a good challenging park but most of it now could be traversed with a stock golf cart.
I have tried to take us to Fourche Mountain before but am very unsure of the trails and don't want to get lost up there and start hearing banjos playing😬!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Map for Fourche is easy to read. Trails go from point to point, which is different. I have an ATV club map that shows the route to ride all the way to Fourche. It's about 24 miles from Black Bear Cabins.
Fourche Mountain trails

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
If you trailer there from Mena there is not much room in either parking area. It's been a few years since we've been to Fourche but the trails are far better than Wolfpen.

If you want to make a nice trip go to Mount Magazine and stay at the lodge. Trails are good there too.

Mill Creek near the town of Ozark has great trails also.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No wonder we never found it. I understood it was Northeast of Wolfpen, not west of Mena! Will have to go try it. I see now that it isn't feasible to drive from WP to Fourche!

I will look into the others. We tried Mulberry but it was too rough and dangerous for a family trip. We are looking at going to Mack's Pines at some point.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
No wonder we never found it. I understood it was Northeast of Wolfpen, not west of Mena! Will have to go try it. I see now that it isn't feasible to drive from WP to Fourche!

I will look into the others. We tried Mulberry but it was too rough and dangerous for a family trip. We are looking at going to Mack's Pines at some point.
From what I have read, if you don't know your way around mac pines, you need to go with someone who does. I guess there are no maps for the area and you can get lost. GPS will help but only so much without backing maps.

I always have a paper map and my GPS with me.

Maplets app for phone has many maps available for free.

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X

That map that I shared with you at Mulberry also has the Mack's Pines area on it. If you use that map around Mack's Pines you will be good.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Mena trip report.

Arrival day.
We were staying at Sugar Creek Lodging with other friends of ours. We arrived around 2:30 on Saturday. Once moved into cabin we made a quick run up Eagle Mountain which was close to our cabins. Round trip was 11 miles.

Day 1. Fourche Mountain.
By the trip on my Talon it's 32 miles from Sugar Creek Lodging to Fourche Mountain by country roads. Kinda boring. It would probably take the same amount of time to trailer there so we decided to just ride there. The trails were still the same. They are great challenging trails. At the end of the day I had 91 miles on the Talon.

Day 2. Wolfpen is open.
The Talon trip showed 51 miles all day. I actually enjoyed the trails this time. They are much easier than Fourche by a long shot but Wolfpen is still fun and fast. There is a new section of trail 8 constructed by the local ATV club. It really should be a one way trail because there is no room for passing. If you meet anyone on the trail, one of you will have to back up to let the other pass. This trail also has tight switchback turns that will require any long 4 seat machine make a muti-point turn. Not a fast trail but it serves the purpose of being able to cross the trail system after the park service closed the overlook to atv traffic. That used to be a great trail climb! My favorite trail is still 313. Trail 6 is fast but gets very dusty.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to hear your having a fun trip. It's a shame the forest service doesn't close the park during the winter just for inclement weather events instead of a nearly full close for 4 months. WP would be a good fall colors and easy riding trip.
We are looking at planning a spring trip to make a run up Fourche as there aren't many if any VRBO's to stay in up there.
313, Highpoint and that end are about the only trails they haven't tamed yet!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!