P500 Do 27in tire take a lot of Power from the P520?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I have 26 inch tires that I put on back in May and can give you my prospective after going from the stock tires to 26 inch. With stock tires it felt like I was running the engine too high and abusing it at 30 mph, now 30 seems like a good cruise for flat or slight up hill riding. Where I use to be able to take steeper hills at 25 mph in fifth gear I now need to down shift to forth and the engine will not pull steeper up hills at 25 mph in fifth gear, where it use to. For low speed riding first was so low it was almost unusable and I would always take off in second gear, now first is usable for taking off on steep up hills or in deep mud/sand situations but you can still take off in second on flat hard pack. I do have a P500 so the P520 might be a bit better at the higher speeds, overall I am glad I went to the larger tires and the ground clearance and ability to go over larger obstacles is much better.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
26 inch rocktaness and they almost rub on the inner fenders. I think shifting got gentler and the 520 motor doesn't have to wind out as much. That said it will depend on rotating weight also. 27 inch implement tires are heavy and have a lot of rolling resistance. So choose a tire for where you will ride

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I notice the better ride on 27s more than any power loss. Especially with the P500 low gearing on trail rides.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I put about 50-60 miles on my P520 in the mountains near Leadville Co prior to swapping out to 27" tires. To be honest, I have felt no difference other than my ride is so much smoother with the larger radial tires. Of course there could be a lot of variables for my impressions:
  1. I only drove it a short time before switch over
  2. I was at greater than 10,200 feet above sea level when I bought it and rode it.
  3. I was so excited to have a new SXS, I wasn't looking for how it was performing
  4. I now live and ride at 1,200 feet above sea level and the increased oxygen and air pressure no doubt plays a role in performance I now perceive.
Given everything, I feel like any negative impacts of going to the larger tire has been overshadowed by how well it looks and performs in my world.

I have Maxxis BigHorn 3.0, 27x11x14 and they are a relatively light radial tire. If I had it to do over again, I might entertain getting 28x10x14 tires. But to be honest, anything from a tall 26" tires to a short 28" tire would work for me.

Let me know if I can help more.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Do 27 inch tires take a lot of power away from the P520?
I see you’re in Tennessee so you’ll be fine. Putting 27’s on my P5 cost me in the Rockies due to elevation so I brought it back to Arkansas…

Reactions: Abm and crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!