Do I need an additional battery or a power pack?

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had my batteries run low on quads and motorcycles and survived while riding alone. I could always find a hill big enough to bump start them. Sometimes after a long push through sand. But with a SXS, it isn't an option. And considering I will probably ride alone often, I need a little education on this subject. Do these batteries go bad suddenly or start showing signs-slow turning over? I don't expect to have many devices drawing high amps, no big audio system. For me, what would be the pros or cons for second battery or power pack.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
If not running many accessories i would just buy a lithium jump pack and keep it charged. They're small and cost a 100 bucks or less.
I've narrowed my choices down to 7. I've never used one of these. I don't know if these have enough power to start a motor if the battery is completely dead, or if it is just designed to supplement a low battery. They don't say what size the cables are. Hard to imagine 1.5 pounds being that strong.

Udaman

Udaman

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2020
Holt, Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had my batteries run low on quads and motorcycles and survived while riding alone. I could always find a hill big enough to bump start them. Sometimes after a long push through sand. But with a SXS, it isn't an option. And considering I will probably ride alone often, I need a little education on this subject. Do these batteries go bad suddenly or start showing signs-slow turning over? I don't expect to have many devices drawing high amps, no big audio system. For me, what would be the pros or cons for second battery or power pack.
I've had very good luck with a lithium jump pack. I performed four jump starts during one night ride at Disney Oklahoma. The charge indicator only dropped to 90 percent. This is the one I went with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGRN4TF/?tag=sxsweb24-20

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've narrowed my choices down to 7. I've never used one of these. I don't know if these have enough power to start a motor if the battery is completely dead, or if it is just designed to supplement a low battery. They don't say what size the cables are. Hard to imagine 1.5 pounds being that strong.
They all have a few bad reviews. When dealing with batteries you will have some bad ones for whatever reason. Im sure its no different with the jump packs. Ive only used them 2 times in the year that we have owned them. Both times on cars. I try and charge them every few months to keep them from going bad. I bought 4 of them a year ago. None is bad that I know of yet

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had very good luck with a lithium jump pack. I performed four jump starts during one night ride at Disney Oklahoma. The charge indicator only dropped to 90 percent. This is the one I went with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGRN4TF/?tag=sxsweb24-20
That is 1 of the 7 on my list. The one thing I don't like about it is, the clamps are so fat. It could be difficult to clamp battery posts that are below the top of the battery. But with 14,000 people rating it a 4.5 it is still on my list.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is 1 of the 7 on my list. The one thing I don't like about it is, the clamps are so fat. It could be difficult to clamp battery posts that are below the top of the battery. But with 14,000 people rating it a 4.5 it is still on my list.
You could find some smaller clamps and a couple feet of some wire and make a couple jumper leads that could get into difficult locations. Use same gauge wire that's on the jump pack. Just an idea. Those jump packs are pretty impressive though.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have a Tacklife also and really like it so far. I have the 2000 AMP one I believe. I take it with me on every ride. I have only needed it once so far but it worked great. I'm even going to buy another one for my sons car.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
If your going to be alone & use a WINCH vary often 2nd battery is a plus ( combination start/ deep Cycle) with isolator & shut off switch.
Isolator allows automatically charging either battery as needed & prevents discharge of OEM start battery.
For long-term storage to prevent battery drain install a shutoff switch in the Isolator ground wire.
Shutoff switch connected to 2nd. battery POSIVITIVE allows to manual disconnect the 2nd. battery when determined needed.
OEM battery life anywhere from ( 1 only a few ) to 5 years plus?? seen some out last the starter.
At the minium as stated above lithium booster ( things happen ) Be prepared not sorry.

Wish in once hand & ooh sh-- t in the other let us know witch on filled up 1st.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
If your going to be alone & use a WINCH vary often 2nd battery is a plus ( combination start/ deep Cycle) with isolator & shut off switch.
Isolator allows automatically charging either battery as needed & prevents discharge of OEM start battery.
For long-term storage to prevent battery drain install a shutoff switch in the Isolator ground wire.
Shutoff switch connected to 2nd. battery POSIVITIVE allows to manual disconnect the 2nd. battery when determined needed.
OEM battery life anywhere from ( 1 only a few ) to 5 years plus?? seen some out last the starter.
At the minium as stated above lithium booster ( things happen ) Be prepared not sorry.

Wish in once hand & ooh sh-- t in the other let us know witch on filled up 1st.
I sure hope I don't need to use a winch very often. Never used one before.

P

petek5090

That is 1 of the 7 on my list. The one thing I don't like about it is, the clamps are so fat. It could be difficult to clamp battery posts that are below the top of the battery. But with 14,000 people rating it a 4.5 it is still on my list. I have the GB40 can jump a car 20 times on one charge. Has a safety override for dead batteries to give full boost. Big clamps yes but with my remote posts not an issue.

View attachment 248957 View attachment 248958

P

petek5090

I have the GB40 can jump a car 20 times on one charge. Has a safety override for dead batteries to give full boost. Big clamps yes but with my remote posts not an issue.

20201222 201047 53860 2000x2000

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!