Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Silverback Pro Portable Ice Fishing Unit
I see the bed mounted canvas versions more often out and about.

these box things really aren’t that flexible and kinda a pain to mess with. Oh yeah, you’re gonna freeze your tail off in that metal box…even with a heater ( no room for it).

A flip over shack is by far more flexible, way lighter and more available room, and way cheaper to purchase. IMO.

For what that likely costs you can get a hard sided skid house and be a heck of a lot warmer.

Different strokes

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do and I've seen that unit before, as noted by others it's an interesting concept but in practice other setups are far more versatile. Looking forward to having some hard water here in MN soon!

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

these box things really aren’t that flexible and kinda a pain to mess with. Oh yeah, you’re gonna freeze your tail off in that metal box…even with a heater ( no room for it).

A flip over shack is by far more flexible, way lighter and more available room, and way cheaper to purchase. IMO.

For what that likely costs you can get a hard sided skid house and be a heck of a lot warmer.

Different strokes
100% agree. When I go (about 3-4 days a yr) I use an old dome tent with the floor cut out of it with a big buddy heater. In about half an hour I am peeling a layer or two of clothing off.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

Different strokes

How does the Polaris it's mounted on factor into the heat equation when it inevitably catches on fire?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
100% agree. When I go (about 3-4 days a yr) I use an old dome tent with the floor cut out of it with a big buddy heater. In about half an hour I am peeling a layer or two of clothing off.
I see these more than Rangers with the mounted ice shacks.

Neat but again nearly no other use, and not terribly flexible. I guess if I lived on a lake and just ran out 1hr before sunset, it might work. Still a boatload of coin for something that is really only semi good at one thing.

For me, if I’m pulling out my wheel house it’s because I’m camping planning on catching fish, playing games, watching football etc, and yes even remote working. Kids are with etc. my wheel house doesn’t even cost 1/4 of what a new snobear does and it’s more suited to family fun in my view.

IMG 7407
IMG 5121
IMG 5081
IMG 5080

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Neat but again nearly no other use, and not terribly flexible. I guess if I lived on a lake and just ran out 1hr before sunset, it might work. Still a boatload of coin for something that is really only semi good at one thing.

For me, if I’m pulling out my wheel house it’s because I’m camping planning on catching fish, playing games, watching football etc, and yes even remote working. Kids are with etc. my wheel house doesn’t even cost 1/4 of what a new snobear does and it’s more suited to family fun in my view.

View attachment 411442View attachment 411443View attachment 411444View attachment 411445
Wow.. I sat on the snowmachine seat, thinking I had the cat's meow.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 411442View attachment 411443View attachment 411444View attachment 411445
Wow. I posted just because I'm amazed at the ingenuity of a person with individual wants, needs and goals in their mind and how they can refine it to suit others.

Your post is a good example of this. Thanks for sharing this.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Nicely done! Very cool. Can you get out on the lakes all season without tracks?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nicely done! Very cool. Can you get out on the lakes all season without tracks?
Last year was probably the worst we had in awhile for snow cover on the lakes towards the end of the season.

On the local pond I’d plow the path on the landing and the main path out on the lake and to where I’d want to drop my shack with my p1k5. My house is like 1.5 mi from it. I’d also use the P1k5 to pull it out and back, or leave it and run back and fort each day.

As long as you’re not high centered the p1k5 will go and pull like crazy. Never had a problem pulling the shack last winter. For sure in 4lo and diff lock in manual mode. The factory bighorns are beasts in the snow.

Tracks are nice for weight distribution but I’m not going out on anything less than 8” thick and I’m not pulling my wheel house over 4’ drifts either lol. For my needs they are overpriced and too slow without much benefit in my view.

With a plow I can make my route.

For trips further away I use my F150 or my chained up 570 sportsman and a tow dolly on the shack.

Even before having my hard shack, I went anywhere I wanted on the lakes without tracks with just my P1k5. Of course you won’t cross 4’ deep drifts in slough grass on the edge of the lake.. as long as you have a plowed entrance or landing tracks in my view are really a expensive nice to have but overall unnecessary for ice fishing.

If I lived way farther north and really ran in the back country for sure tracks make sense.

Last edited:
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Different strokes
Yup, no doubt. Insulated flip up Otter. Usually tow it, but it can ride in the bed too. Much simpler and more practical.B9074c84760ab7af92ef232e339e2416

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup, no doubt. Insulated flip up Otter. Usually tow it, but it can ride in the bed too. Much simpler and more practical.View attachment 411465

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Yep I ran with a clam flip for many years. I left my 20lb tank in the bed and simply ran an extended hose to my heater

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4

What a slick rig! It must be a struggle to decide to come off the ice....

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What a slick rig! It must be a struggle to decide to come off the ice....
Not uncommon for people to leave their wheel houses on the lake if they are close by it. Quite a few people overnight in them all the time. The pic I showed of the sofa in mine is actually old. I replaced it with the dinette from my camper this fall so I had more storage and a full width bed to sleep on. It already had one bunk.

I left mine on the lake most of last winter.

It’s nice for sure, no fun to always be moving it either.

I have a lithium solar panel setup and a 3 way switch to protect the inverter from the shore / generator power. This way I don’t have to run a generator….only when the battery doesn’t have the power to run the furnace.

My kids enjoy the fish house meals and watching the fish on the underwater camera.

Here’s my old clam flip. I sold it a few years ago mostly cause I didn’t have time to use both wheel house and the flip over. Of course the kids prefer the wheel house.
IMG 2856
IMG 2858
IMG 2857

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!