P500 Does a P500 fit?

xfirecat

xfirecat

Jun 18, 2019
Simcoe County
Ownership

1. 500
So a P500 fits in a shortie pick up truck. If the box cover was removed I would gain a few inches. The red rope is only there to hold the ramp on. There are 3 ratchet straps holding the sxs. Seems like the only way to get it over 40mph or 62kph!
58F6A124 BDF2 4C8E B9E4 14AAA14AB2D9

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So a P500 fits in a shortie pick up truck. If the box cover was removed I would gain a few inches. The red rope is only there to hold the ramp on. There are 3 ratchet straps holding the sxs. Seems like the only way to get it over 40mph or 62kph!View attachment 140320

That's a boat load of weight on two cables? o_O

xfirecat

xfirecat

Jun 18, 2019
Simcoe County
Ownership

1. 500
I agree it’s a lot of weight on two cables. About the same as two 250 lb people on the tail gate assuming it’s equal weight on each of the 4 tires. It even looks a little big on the truck but it’s possible. I have a couple trailer options and that’s my preference.

Reactions: rtn001
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the Forum. Buy a trailer...

Reactions: KyleC and rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Central Florida and please don't feel I am picking on you. This is just a pet peeve of mine. We hauled our ATVs in the back of our trucks for years with only a few minor problems. We, my sons and I, came to the conclusion it might not be the smartest or safest thing for us to be doing. We have gone to trailers.
One can argue all day long as to how they have never had a problem with hauling that way and that's great. I personally believe it's a unsafe practice, especially for the larger machines. I know one has to do what one must as its ones only way, but look at the size of that beast sitting in the back of that truck. Where does it go in the chance of a wreck? I know, we are all perfect drivers. Lol. It's the other idiots driving that scares the crap out of me. Maybe I am being paranoid but 25 years as a LEO and I saw some crazy things. What we must remember is being stupid does not preclude others from obtaining a driver's license. However you haul your toy, remember to do it as safely as you possibly can. Not only for yourself but others also. This is the short version of my rant on this subject and it is now over. I hope everyone has a great day.

xfirecat

xfirecat

Jun 18, 2019
Simcoe County
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone, like I said I have two trailers an 18 foot aluminum car hauler and a 16 foot aluminum enclosed trailer and I prefer to haul the P500 on a trailer. I tried it in the shortie box and it is possible so I took a pic. The pic was not to argue the best way to transport the P500, just that it was possible.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Glad you have the trailer option. The load on a bump and bounce can be a lot more than a static load. Comments are just all about helping others, maybe for new riders/owners bringing the machine home for the first time.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone, like I said I have two trailers an 18 foot aluminum car hauler and a 16 foot aluminum enclosed trailer and I prefer to haul the P500 on a trailer. I tried it in the shortie box and it is possible so I took a pic. The pic was not to argue the best way to transport the P500, just that it was possible.
Thanks for the picture. It gave me the chance to post my rant. Most people strap it down to keep it from coming out the back of the truck and don't think of what it is going to do if they run into something at speed. Again please don't take what I said personal. It's just a old man who has learned from my and other peoples goof ups.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I've carried my 2017 P5 in the back of my D-Max 6.5 ft box for thousands of kilometers. Haven't noticed any change or deflection in my tailgate. I do have those additional tailgate support bars but they do not bear any weight when installed.

I also have a 16 ft flat deck plus a toy hauler but often just taking the truck is the appropriate option for me. So unless you're a helldriver and take your truck over whoops and aim for every pothole, you'll be fine.

Al

20190709 071804

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
Two new cables and I'm comfortable. I do inspect them regularly.

56ce993bcc54a6555878c1ba5edc4fa2

6966e0ac24c7beefbbfdc3d1349aa9d5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
HAUL IT IN THE BED ! One of the many great things about a p5 . The DG gate supports are just in case the cables break and I have them to be on the safe side . I haven't heard of anyone having any negative issue from hauling one in their bed , nor have I heard of any tailgate straps breaking . IMHO it is SAFER to haul one in your bed then to tow a trailer . I have seen many trailers come off and cause serious wrecks and I have seen them cause wrecks without coming off . Never heard of a P5 being hauled in a bed causing any of these .

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
A033BD5A D313 4B96 AA08 19C7AA011115
I take the 2” ball hitch out of P500 receiver and back mine in. You’ll gain a little more, weight forward and room too. Mine goes into 97 power stroke 7.3, with workbox fuel cell combo so 6” of room or so. Also lay down a piece of 3/4” pressure treated plywood with 1” angle iron bolted to the side of sheet to spread weight out so not as much strain on tailgate. 3 ratchet straps 1 over each rear tire and last one across the back. Works great quick easy to load, albeit can “feel scary” till you get the hang of it. Always.... always ratchet the loading ramps to the truck for loading and unloading. 80% of all ATV/UTV work place mishaps are loading-unloading.
Not a current image but you get the idea.
Cheers.
jrc

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I applaud the OP. What ever happened to people using a pickup for a pickup? I don’t know why is it so many people have a truck that nothing ever is actually hauled from, everything gets trailered.
First of all a pickup is a horrible design for anything but hauling. It’s so rear end light that it doesn’t stop, corner or handle emergency situations well. Especially in adverse conditions.
Second I do believe a trailer isn’t the best call in every situation. They can pull the truck around with very unfavorable effects if those emergency situations do occur. If someone has a small load why not just use the pickup for a pickup.
Biggest thing to watch out for is a load that sits away from the front edge of the box. In an accident even strapped down a load gets massive stress and can break even stout straps and very easily break straps that most of us use. Whether on a trailer or sitting away from the front of the box can send the load forward, and the mode runway it has the more damage it collects. A load at the front slows momentum. The wider the load the more metal it has to go through, it’s grabbing everything from the cab corners and box sides as well. At the point a Pioneer comes through the cab from being in back of box I’m not sure you’re worried about that hit as opposed to what caused the accident. Imo a bar should be used across the front of the box anyways for tie down points and to help protect the box from loading anyways and would help just that much more. I think I’d rather frontal impact with a solid load strapped in correctly in the box then one strapped 15 ft behind me that could slingshot forward. Only one I’d worry some about is all aluminum box. Aluminum tends to bend then break or sheer off easily but I’d probably still run loaded but possibly look for a few more solid strap points and id personally run a steel rail around the box.
Been in the automotive field for all my life and see 15-20 wrecked vehicles a day. Been out to insurance auto auctions, built totals, go out to wrecking yards very frequently so I have seen a lot of aftermaths. There is no perfect solution and anything can go awry, no real perfect scenario for any situation. There are still some things that a scratch me head when I see. But there are always several ways to look at things, and someone can see all the negatives and none of the positives on a situation. We all can do that. I’m just saying I’ll be using my truck as a truck and it’s nice occasionally to see others that do.

Last edited:
R

rblack22

Nov 26, 2015
I've carried my 2017 P5 in the back of my D-Max 6.5 ft box for thousands of kilometers. Haven't noticed any change or deflection in my tailgate. I do have those additional tailgate support bars but they do not bear any weight when installed.

I also have a 16 ft flat deck plus a toy hauler but often just taking the truck is the appropriate option for me. So unless you're a helldriver and take your truck over whoops and aim for every pothole, you'll be fine.

Al

View attachment 140415
Until he isn't

R

rblack22

Nov 26, 2015
Reckon I'm just lazy. Figure its easier to hook up to the trailer and drive on with a few good straps and I'm out. Leaves the 8ft bed/box for whatever. Plus I don't have to worry bout strapping ramps down or them being stolen out of the truck.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I haul in truck and in a 7x12 full aluminum dump trailer, both work great. For work usually the truck as it’s quick easy to load and doesn’t (entire unit) doesnt take up a whole lot o space on Pipeline right of way. When I plough snow out at the farm easier with dump trailer....my folding aluminum ramps fit under the P5, in the pick up I’ve put two strips of plywood down so the ramps rest in chalks or a pocket and I don’t even tie them down the weight keeps them snug. Sides on the dump trailer are 4.5 ft high with barn doors on the back so they are just slide under the machine here too.

In respect to actual tie-ing down I generally only tie down the wheels, to let the body move with the haul vehicle. Typically where I’m at if you try to tie the body down, suspension will compress on the first big bump and ratchet straps, tie downs will fall off or tear out the vehicle tie point. Then the next big bump takes out the rear window of the pick up.... hahahaa.
So fortunate these little rigs are so compact, that’s partially why I bought mine to fit in a truck box for work.
Cheers,
j

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!