P1000 Does anybody have a good idea why Honda is turning their back on the 1000?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I left one part out of this. When people do ask me about the machine I always tell them that it's awesome and I love it, but I don't sugarcoat it and leave out the issues.
Same...
I know Honda will fix them soon enough.
Yep, Love it.. But wait for the 2017 if you can.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Same...
I know Honda will fix them soon enough.
Yep, Love it.. But wait for the 2017 if you can.

Honestly I tell them to buy it now(don't see many changes coming soon or if they do it won't be low reverse) ,snorkel the damn thing,throw a cover under the seat,watch reverse a little,do an alignment on it,beer in the cup holder,gas in the tank and go drive the hell out of it!!! It's a wonderful machine!!!
But I don't back down from any of that. I'm not about to give bad advice to someone spending their hard earned dollar and telling someone to buy a Honda isn't bad advice it's flat out common sense. Just do a couple things.
Just sucks for me to be the test dummy all the time begging others to not do the same thing lmfao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I tell them to buy it now(don't see many changes coming soon or if they do it won't be low reverse) ,snorkel the damn thing,throw a cover under the seat,watch reverse a little,do an alignment on it,beer in the cup holder,gas in the tank and go drive the hell out of it!!! It's a wonderful machine!!!
But I don't back down from any of that. I'm not about to give bad advice to someone spending their hard earned dollar and telling someone to buy a Honda isn't bad advice it's flat out common sense. Just do a couple things.
Just sucks for me to be the test dummy all the time begging others to not do the same thing lmfao!

@CumminsPusher ... alias TestDummy... lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher ... alias TestDummy... lol

I mean really! Grrr! But dammit everyone here knows I love my machine!
Belts are like maxipads, they cover up the pu--ies mistakes! Gears all the way!
Ok AK I think we need to go take a spin with a beer and get that smile back! That always reminds you why you bought a Honda.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mean really! Grrr! But dammit everyone here knows I love my machine!
Belts are like maxipads, they cover up the pu--ies mistakes! Gears all the way!
Ok AK I think we need to go take a spin with a beer and get that smile back! That always reminds you why you bought a Honda.

My wife even laughed at that one

Reactions: CumminsPusher
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back to the original post. You all have seen my posts. This machine is a damn mountain goat. I've climbed some serious stuff, pulling a meat wagon loaded with firewood and gear, without one issue. Never bogged down, never had a hiccup. It's rock solid if you drive it right. When you're working it, drive it like a tractor. When your on surfaces that are good for high speeds, treat it like a race car.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Back to the original post. You all have seen my posts. This machine is a damn mountain goat. I've climbed some serious stuff, pulling a meat wagon loaded with firewood and gear, without one issue. Never bogged down, never had a hiccup. It's rock solid if you drive it right. When you're working it, drive it like a tractor. When your on surfaces that are good for high speeds, treat it like a race car.
Very well said my brother!

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
advertisement
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I expect to see this engine package in a sport model with minor changes like hot cams for more hp etc. Honda may have this engine package in production for another 20 years and I expect some of improvements. An improved intake and lower gears will be an easy. I lived in Alabama in the 50's and Honda should do some testing with those guys especially after they have a few adult beverages. They beat up the RZR's in a big way on the creek bed hill climbs. It looks like drive it for 1 hour and fix it for 2 hours. My Buddy said the tough rocky creek beds is all they have for riding in some areas.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I expect to see this engine package in a sport model with minor changes like hot cams for more hp etc. Honda may have this engine package in production for another 20 years and I expect some of improvements. An improved intake and lower gears will be an easy. I lived in Alabama in the 50's and Honda should do some testing with those guys especially after they have a few adult beverages. They beat up the RZR's in a big way on the creek bed hill climbs. It looks like drive it for 1 hour and fix it for 2 hours. My Buddy said the tough rocky creek beds is all they have for riding in some areas.

They will have to do something with clutching before they add any power, that may just be part of the hold up. I'm hopeful that whatever goes into that one will transfer into the p1k.

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They should bring it up here to AK. I can give them every possible scenario that a machine would ever encounter.

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not installed a snorkel kit yet, but was looking at the Diver Down kit by Highlifter. After reading this post, I think I better get the intake issue taken care of. Is this what most people are installing to prevent the engine damage others have unfortunately experienced?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I would think Honda has done lots of testing with large heavy mud tires to see how the clutch holds up. Also with around 90 to 100 hp too. Next month will be interesting and checking the 2017 clutch part numbers and the gearing specs too. My clutch works just like new but I'm careful not to have it slipping except for a quick get it going to at least 3 mph in low and 6 mph in high. Brief slipping should not be a problem and I run 28 inch tires. On my belt drive UTV's I always stayed within one size larger to avoid having to upgrade the best drive. On my Yamaha Wolverine I went one size smaller for better take off performance.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not installed a snorkel kit yet, but was looking at the Diver Down kit by Highlifter. After reading this post, I think I better get the intake issue taken care of. Is this what most people are installing to prevent the engine damage others have unfortunately experienced?
Honestly, I wouldn't spend the money on an aftermarket kit. If you don't mind having a 3" pipe sticking out of your hood, I can show you what I've done. Running all the vents higher is easy. Now that the weather is getting cooler and hunting is winding down, we should get together and compare notes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

There are many many ideas on the site to "redirect" airflow. Water is coming into the front mount intake from the front of the machine. If the intake moves backwards whether from under hood or over hood it'll drastically change this. For regular riding puddle jumping just normal stuff anything will work IMO but if you're serious about deep water get it up higher and raise your vent lines. I'm very happy with my Joey setup because it's easy to return to stock but I can see what goes in and those are important to me. I do believe if someone is around water they need to do something. Anything.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are many many ideas on the site to "redirect" airflow. Water is coming into the front mount intake from the front of the machine. If the intake moves backwards whether from under hood or over hood it'll drastically change this. For regular riding puddle jumping just normal stuff anything will work IMO but if you're serious about deep water get it up higher and raise your vent lines. I'm very happy with my Joey setup because it's easy to return to stock but I can see what goes in and those are important to me. I do believe if someone is around water they need to do something. Anything.

Exactly.

H

HondaTech

Trust me, Honda has many heads on these problems trying to find a suitable solution, I talk to the Tech guys at least once a week and my DSM once a month. They are pushing to fix these problems, they just don't want a rush job that is going to cause other issues or take a large amount of effort to complete. They've already solved the clutch issue I believe, the heat problem is a consistent issue with most utv's, ask anyone who owns a Teryx, you roast in those units. You know what Kawasaki has done about that, not a damm thing. As for Polaris, ther\y get so hot they melt the wiring harness attached to the fuel injectors and cause fires.

The snorkel problem I cant explain away, but I'm sure if enough of it pops up, they'll take notice and do something about it. I myself haven't had any customers with this problem, but then again most of my customers use their units for farming purposes or job related use.
Be patient, Honda is hard at work on a fix for these issues and will figure it out soon enough.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Trust me, Honda has many heads on these problems trying to find a suitable solution, I talk to the Tech guys at least once a week and my DSM once a month. They are pushing to fix these problems, they just don't want a rush job that is going to cause other issues or take a large amount of effort to complete. They've already solved the clutch issue I believe, the heat problem is a consistent issue with most utv's, ask anyone who owns a Teryx, you roast in those units. You know what Kawasaki has done about that, not a damm thing. As for Polaris, ther\y get so hot they melt the wiring harness attached to the fuel injectors and cause fires.

The snorkel problem I cant explain away, but I'm sure if enough of it pops up, they'll take notice and do something about it. I myself haven't had any customers with this problem, but then again most of my customers use their units for farming purposes or job related use.
Be patient, Honda is hard at work on a fix for these issues and will figure it out soon enough.
Everyone that was on this thread loves the machine and I don't see anyone here giving it up but there were a couple of overlooked things and on a Honda it's just a little frustrating for some. That really hasn't happened before with the brand and won't deter me I'm positive my machine is tons better then the alternative! No real b****es here anymore just being honest with my experiences.

Reactions: AKRider and sharp
advertisement