Dual Batteries The Easy Way

K

KonaLance

Apr 17, 2017
Kailua Kona, HI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried to do it the easy way, I just put in the automatic switch with dual gauges on the dash, so I know its working correctly

18198186 10210567000829137 8444825646309425937 n 1
Dashpanel

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe I'm not following what you're saying or if you could reword it a different way maybe I could understand it better. Based on the way I am interpreting what you're saying I would have to guess disagree.

Running parallel cables or cables to a switch is the same thing and the exact same cost. So other than adding a $15 switch I see the cost as same. And when you add in your other things like circuit breaker's you're even offsetting the cost of that.

Now add in the cost of a jumper battery that you're talking about and now you got double the cost of the system because you have two batteries AND a jumper battery which means three.. making your option the most expensive out of all of them.

But the thing is, you don't need the jumper battery to begin with because battery 2 is in fact your jumper when using a switch unlike parallel, which requires the jumper battery if you run them both dead.

So all you're saying is to not use that switch to have a back up battery, but then saying let's go out and buy a jumper battery to have as a back up battery.

Plus, your jumper has to be charged also anyway. Using the switch to charge the battery is a heck of a lot more simple because all you're doing is turning the switch to battery 2. A jumper battery? You have to bring it inside and plug it in and then bring it back out which is a lot more inconvenient.

But the thing I don't understand is the switch IS the heart and the purpose of the entire system. Running batteries in parallel does nothing more than just give you one big battery and you're not any better off than you are with the single battery system.

Therefore you lose absolutely every single item I listed above showing all of the advantages of having to switch to begin with.

If you run them in parallel you take a chance of killing both batteries dead, which defeats the entire purpose of the switch. Plus leaving the switch in the both position IS running the batteries in parallel so you can have the best of all worlds if you prefer parallel.

Put the switch to both and you have parallel but you also have all the other added options that parallel will not give you.
$50...
7 in 1
if ya need a roach clip
haha

2017 04 27 15 53 38 430006262

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do agree that carrying one of those is a great thing and I carry one in all of my vehicles.

My point was is that we were discussing cost, and when you add in the cost of two batteries wired parallel and then carrying one of those as a back up, you now have THREE batteries and have increased the cost significantly.

Using the switch you don't need one of those, because your second battery is a portable jumper.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I do agree that carrying one of those is a great thing and I carry one in all of my vehicles.

My point was is that we were discussing cost, and when you add in the cost of two batteries wired parallel and then carrying one of those as a back up, you now have THREE batteries and have increased the cost significantly.

Using the switch you don't need one of those, because your second battery is a portable jumper.

I agree...

Reactions: Plumber101010
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Am I being biased when I "like" a post simply because you agreed with me?

Always wondered that.. lol
Don't know...
you'll have to ask...
yourself that question. ....
I seen thread.....
easiest dual battery
....& shared my idea
.....wasn't to get a like
....thought that's wat this
....was all about

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here we go again, do I like that post if... LOL

Actually I was just trying to crack a funny, wasn't trying to provoke a serious reply! But hey! Happy you did anyway :)

Reactions: knuckledeep
Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really, it just makes life easy not to mention when adding all other accessories like lights and such, you can just unscrew the wingnut, attach wire and clamp down because it already has two ends that are nothing more than a circle with a hole in it.

Just need some clarification here, but don't all circles have a hole in it? :confused:;)

Reactions: joeymt33
Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4. The OFF function is something that is exclusive to the switch and you won't find anywhere else. How many times have you read to disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes to reset the computer system on any vehicle? Going to install a stereo? Going to install any aftermarket accessories? Simply turn the switch to off and instantly shut down the entire electrical system!

If you shut your power down/off, does your transmission/computer have to relearn how you drive?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you shut your power down/off, does your transmission/computer have to relearn how you drive?

Maybe, I'm unsure, but I'm sure it's done automatically. I have disconnected my battery numerous times to hook up accessories and never did anything but turn the key and go!

Reactions: JTW
Tradertrent

Tradertrent

Lifetime Member
Apr 7, 2017
MONTANA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, actually, they don't. CD's, the MOON, etc, etc. but since I know you're making a joke I won't push it LOL

Oh? CD's Have a hole. That would technically qualify them as a circle. The moon is not a circle, it is a planet The coins you refer to, after your extraction/correction, are a homogeneous metal disc. However, to be fair, there have been coins, manufactured by other countries, with a hole in the middle and they may be or could be considered a circle. I believe what you meant to say is this: The cable already has two tabs on the end with holes drilled into them.

Yeah.. I am joking and giving you a hard time at the same time. I am technically minded and I will drill down to the details. I not only read what everyone post's on this site, I research it all myself. By doing so, it save us time and money, which according to the wife's budget, I don't have a lot of. I fully respect your post, that is why I took the time to read such a Loooooonnnnng post, and it sure was worth it! Maybe, Just Maybe, When I get the chance to come visit my aunt in Hickory, we can meet?

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
K

KonaLance

Apr 17, 2017
Kailua Kona, HI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe, I'm unsure, but I'm sure it's done automatically. I have disconnected my battery numerous times to hook up accessories and never did anything but turn the key and go!
Im going with you, I have a battery disconnect and I have not had a problem at all. I have used the disconnect about 10 times ?

Reactions: Plumber101010

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!