P1000 Dual Volt Meter Stays On

R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the true dual battery system. It’s worked great until a couple days ago. The dual volt meter started staying on all the time, even when the machine is completely off. Any idea why? I’m attaching a pic of my wiring. Thanks for any replies.

A9F3DD5C 9AE7 4488 B58A F26B3BFC700B

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It seems that the True system uses the orange relay to switch the ground off to the dual VMs. In that case that relay is stuck ON. Or the single lead from the VM to the relay is grounded.

I TSvZc63 XL

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was it working right originally? looks like it should be wired correctly from your diagram.

one thing to check is the "spare ignition activated ground" from the relay.
make sure it hasnt bounced around and found a place to ground itself. if it did it would basically bypass the relay that shuts off the volt meter.

R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was it working right originally? looks like it should be wired correctly from your diagram.

one thing to check is the "spare ignition activated ground" from the relay.
make sure it hasnt bounced around and found a place to ground itself. if it did it would basically bypass the relay that shuts off the volt meter.
View attachment 211577
Thanks JoeyL. I’ll check that when I get home today. Oh and yes, it worked right until a few days ago... Thanks again.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, CID. Maybe I should replace the relay? Thanks again.
Like JoeyL suggested, check the Gold terminal to Spare Ground wire (dark green in your drawing) for a false short to ground (pinched somewhere). If that wire isn't grounded, unplug it from the relay - if that turns the VMs off, the relay is stuck. If unplugging from the relay doesn't turn the VMs off, unplug at the VM - that almost has to turn them off, if not, the VM is grounded internally which is highly unlikely.

R

Reddmann

May 10, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, I’m just now getting around to replying again (work has been crazy). I unplugged the relay from the gold terminal on the VMs, just to turn it off while the machine was sitting. Last night, my daughter wanted to drive it around some, so I plugged back in. VMs immediately turned back on with the machine off. When she got back, the VMs started turning off and on correctly again. I’m not sure if water was stuck in something, as it started doing it after I washed it last week, but it’s working right now. Thanks for all the replies...

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
K

KDB

Jun 11, 2023
MI
Ownership

1. Talon R
It seems that the True system uses the orange relay to switch the ground off to the dual VMs. In that case that relay is stuck ON. Or the single lead from the VM to the relay is grounded.

View attachment 211490
My True system came with a black socket NOT an orange one like this diagram. Will that make a difference why my volt meter is staying ? Or do I need to find the ignition activated ground and if yes then where the heck is it??
Thanks!

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My True system came with a black socket NOT an orange one like this diagram. Will that make a difference why my volt meter is staying ? Or do I need to find the ignition activated ground and if yes then where the heck is it??
Thanks!
This is a 3 yr old thread BTW

But No it shouldn't. The relay is just configured different but serves the same purpose.

Now down to proper business…..
Welcome fellow Mchigander and sufferer under the clutches of Big Gretch!

We have a rule when you first join and thays pics of your rig or you get Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Start a welcome thread asap and post pics ;)

advertisement
K

KDB

Jun 11, 2023
MI
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is a 3 yr old thread BTW

But No it shouldn't. The relay is just configured different but serves the same purpose.

Now down to proper business…..
Welcome fellow Mchigander and sufferer under the clutches of Big Gretch!

We have a rule when you first join and thays pics of your rig or you get Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Start a welcome thread asap and post pics ;)
Yes, I knew it was an old thread….but this girl had hope lol. I’ll start a welcome thread with pics and thanks for the answer. I still can’t find ignition activated ground location but I’ll post the question.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks!
Yes, I knew it was an old thread….but this girl had hope lol. I’ll start a welcome thread with pics and thanks for the answer. I still can’t find ignition activated ground location but I’ll post the question.
There is no ignition activated ground location, that's the function of the relay - turn key on, relay activates and its contacts make the ground connection. IOW: a relay usually connects power (12v) to the circuit but it's used to control the ground in this application.

obtw: welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

Last edited: