P1000 Dual volt meter. Switched ground?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What Scoop said ^^^. I think most wire the dual voltmeter that way. However, I've found myself switching the key on just to check voltage, so I also gonna add a miniature push button, adjacent to the meter, to apply a momentary ground to that point. I might have to use a diode to prevent my illuminated rocker buttons from lighting.

Reactions: Scoop and Lady01
Fdxjettech

Fdxjettech

Oct 21, 2021
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, phase one is complete. Dual battery system with dual volt meter. 10 socket positive distribution fuse block and grounding block. With a two port USB charging port thrown in to keep the wife happy. It took 8 hours of work ( I’m new at this). And at least twice that head scratching and waking up at night thinking about wires. Lol. But I got it all in Turned on the key and everything lit up and worked fantastically through multiple starts and a three mile text drive. Yaay me. 😉

I’d really like to thank you guys for the help on these, my first baby steps. Thanks so much. Coming soon, my BMF light bar. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Outstanding. The time you spent and the knowledge you gained will be a basis for future work.

The two-port USB 3.0 charger outlet is the ONLY thing I have hooked up directly to the (aux) battery without requiring key-on power. There will be plenty of times you want something to keep charging when the key is off, and the drain on the (aux) battery isn't diddly squat.

Even so, my USB charger outlet does have its own on/off button built right into it.

Fdxjettech

Fdxjettech

Oct 21, 2021
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Outstanding. The time you spent and the knowledge you gained will be a basis for future work.

The two-port USB 3.0 charger outlet is the ONLY thing I have hooked up directly to the (aux) battery without requiring key-on power. There will be plenty of times you want something to keep charging when the key is off, and the drain on the (aux) battery isn't diddly squat.

Even so, my USB charger outlet does have its own on/off button built right into it.
That’s a great idea. It won’t pull voltage unless a phone is plugged in. I just got in a rythem of hooking things to the fuse block. I think I will change that when I get back home

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Mine is backlit when it's on, even without a load. Hence, the on/off button on its face.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Though I don't have a whole lot powered by "always on", I have the following:

Winch (wireless receiver power switched always on), courtesy light (has a small rocker switch on it), backup lights (so they can be use for convenience/work lights - same with side pod lights (as all these lights take little power, the pods less than 1 amp each), compact air horn (just cause you can never tell when you might get hor- - or just need to honk your horn), radio (wired so it is either key-on or powered from small rocker switch for parked use), and lastly a cell phone holder/charger, for the reasons Scoop said.

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I want to be able to glance at my dual voltmeter at any time during operation and know the charging state of the batteries. Hence, an inexpensive relay that provides a switched negative ground (it only grounds when the relay is energized aka when the key is on) is the way to go. The TrueAM UTV-SBI-CM isolator kit includes such a relay (that kit comes with a dual voltmeter).
My kit didn’t come with a dual voltmeter or a relay. So, I got a chicom unit from online and wired it up as per their instructions. Since it was continuously on, I decided to see how long it would take to drain the battery. It took about a week. Then I installed a push button type momentary switch from the local auto parts store. I often hunt at night and the blue lights were very distracting. I don’t use all my accessories at the same time so I mostly check my voltage when I’m just sitting on the trail listening to music. I could listen to the stereo until the sun came up which is far longer than I can last. So, I really don’t need the voltmeter very often if at all.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
It’s not a pretty switch but it works

2D6BC9C3 2B55 423D B5B0 D760957CE6BA

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!